SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robotropolis

Help a sceptical jerk talk to her family this Christmas

robo (z6a)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

My professional life revolves around data and evidence. I guess you could say I really believe in science or maybe science is my religion.

There are two older women in my life who I do love dearly and I never want to hurt their feelings. My issue is I need some good conversational gambits that are not patronizing in the least to talk about their interests in naturopathy and holistic medicine. One is a big devotee of Dr. Oz and his doggie equivalent. The other is big into recommending natural remedies for health problems. The reason I need to be careful is because I loathe these topics.

I would like to prepare for these conversations because my off-the-cuff remarks such as, "oh that sounds interesting I will have to look into it" likely sound insincere because they are.

What are some ways that you find to talk to people who do not share your beliefs but this conflict is fairly harmless (e.g. not xenophobic or otherwise prejudiced, although I am alarmed at the anti-intellectual and anti-science trends of late).

The context is that I'm already seen as the most bossy/least nice person in my family (which is true, but we're all very nice).

in other news, this article made me laugh because it hit so close to home...for whatever reason I am the one in the family who deals with a lot of the tough stuff.

Pretty Obvious Which Sibling Going To Have To Deal With All The Nursing Home Stuff

http://www.theonion.com/article/pretty-obvious-which-sibling-going-to-have-to-deal-34744

Comments (27)