SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pennymsm

Sooo frustrated with leaky house

pennymsm
8 years ago

I am at my wits end here. 1978 raised ranch in New England. I've been in the house for over a decade. It's always been on the colder side and seems like your typical 2x4 exterior wall, inferior 70's insulation thing. I can't do anything about the outer walls, so I've been plugging up leaks over the years. I've replaced all the windows and exterior doors, sealed every crack I can find, have the foam pads on all the outlets, everything I could think of. No matter what I did, I still always felt cold air moving around, particularly when the boiler was running.

This year I decided to get serious. I went up into the attic, sealed up everything that could be sealed. (no can lights up there). Yesterday I blew in insulation into the more shallow spots and brought the entire attic up to about 16", 20" on the colder side of the house. An hour later, I was sitting on my couch feeling the same cold air moving around and wanted to scream. I literally trippled the amount of insulation up there and it did nothing!! Even worse, I think there's actually now more cold air movement than before. We're not talking "every house needs to breathe a little", more like "where is the open window". It's that bad.

The only other known source of air leakage is a sliding glass door in my basement, but I cannot afford to replace it, and I can't imagine one door is creating all this air movement.

I had an energy audit done a few years back and they were beyond useless. All they did was leave me with a pack of CFL bulbs and put some draft strips under a few doors. Does anyone know what might be causing this or what else I can check? I'm about ready to sell this stupid house and find one that was built right in the first place.

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio