SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tfraleigh_gw

Vivarium Frustrations... Mabye some help?

tfraleigh
18 years ago

Hey everyone.

I've made vivariums before, my first was in a small 10 gallon tank, the next was a bit of an upscale at 50 gallons, and both worked out nicely (especially my 50 gallon after i re-did it)

However, we started rennovating our house, so my tank had to be taken apart and put into the basement (and my animals put into smaller, more transportable enclosures... a neverending source of guilt)

Anyway, thats the past. I recently finished a biology course in Ecuador, and the amazon and the galapagos REALLY made me want to get back into viv. building.

Anyway, i decided that this time 'round i would build my tank from scratch. I spent a long time drawing out the plans and decided to go with a 3'w x 2'd x 1m tall enclosure. (sorry about the mixed measurements, im canadain so im used to meters, 1m = 39.5 inches about).

I planned to have a little less than 9" of water in the bottom and then an opening front above that (i hope im paining a good enough picture here, nine inches of solid glass, above that, door that swings open). I figured that a vivarium 1m tall would be too deep to work in without an opening front.

I even spent a solid hour at home depot figuring out what would work to make a suitable frame. (found it too).

My original plan was to use plexi-glass or some form of acryllic, but the guy at the hardware store who cuts it said that it would be too bendy and would buckle. Sooo, he recomended i use glass.

(this goes on, sorry about the long post)

As an experiemnt to make sure this thig would work, i decided to try building a small 10 gallon one. I measured the dimensions of an existing fish tank i have and went to order the glass and found out it costs like $80!!!! For enough glass to make a 10 gallon tank?! When i can buy one from the pet store for $7!!!

So now im really frusterated. Sheets of plexiglass go for up to 60 bucks at Home depot too. But im confised because on glasscages.com you can order plastic half an inch thick for like 9 cents (although im not sure if they 1. ship to canda, or 2 it would be worth it price wise to order it). Wouldnt plastic this thick work? Why is it rediculously cheaper there? Mabye i'm mixing up plexi-glass and plastic? Which is better, anyone have experience with this?

Oh, and if anyone here is in Toronto or even canada, your advice would be killer too.

Thanks, that was a long post, but I really appreciate your help. Im so happy I found this forum, I've already had so many questions answered, its just what i was looking for.

Oh, one final question, I was looking into ordering Asian blue-webbed gliding tree frogs online. I know mascarino carries them, but they havnt updated their site in a while and im not sure if they ship to where I am. If anyone has any leads here too, much obliged.

THATS it, sorry again about the HUGE post lol.

Comments (24)