SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
terrancraft82

Winterization Lawn Advice, Northern Virginia, Zone 7, Pics

Vic Jung
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi guys, it is my first time doing lawn care myself this year. I overseeded on Sept 16th which turned out pretty well. I put down compost, but no starter fertilizer. It was a pretty big renovation as my previous lawn care provider burned half of my front yard with improper use of weed killer. Over 50% of my front lawn is new grass. On October 15 I fertilized with Lesco, 24-0-12 Slow Release. I understand the general advice for winterizing the lawn is when top growth stops and the grass is still green. I purchased a bag of urea 46-0-0 but I'm having a difficult time deciding on when to lay it down.

The weather has been a little unpredictable this past week and for the next 10 days. We were in the mid 60's with overnight temps of 40's, this weekend has a cold front with high temps in the 40's and overnight temps of 20's. Next week it will go back up to the 50's/60's and then back down to the 40's with overnight temps of 20's around November 30th.

Here's a few pics below I took this morning. I mowed it this past Monday at 3". There seems to be a some top growth.

For those that live in Zone 7, specifically Virginia, MD, DC metro area, have you guys already put down fertilizer? If not when do you plan on doing it? Is there any risk on putting down such a hefty amount of nitrogen on new grass? Additionally, I have been mowing at a height for the past several weeks at 3". Do you guys recommend a lower height? The next notch on my mower is set at 2.4". My grass is mostly tall fescue/kbg blend. Thank you very much for any input.

Comments (7)