SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plantcrazed101

Gritty and 511 here we go!!!

plantcrazed101
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Okay y'all, a certain someone (not sure if this person wants their name mentioned/I don't want everyone bugging this person for mix lol) was very kind to send me properly mixed 511 and gritty mix :)

So now that I know it's mixed correctly, let's see if I can grow in it! Here are the plants I'll be trying out, all are plants that if I kill them, it'll be okay as I have several backups:

7 African Violets, all the same variety of Mac's Just Jeff

1 in pure gritty mix, no adjustments

1 in 511, no adjustments to the mix

1 in 2/3 peat, 1/3 perlite

1 in a mix of adjusted gritty...whatever y'all would guess could work as well or better for this somewhat moisture loving plant :)

1 in pure gritty mix, sitting in water (yes, I'm purposely adding a PWT)

1 in pure 511 mix, sitting in water

1 in 1/2 perlite, 1/2 reptibark, long fibered sphagnum mulch, with acrylic wick (my new mix I'm playing with)

I will have a good amount of this mix leftover, so I thought I could ask y'all to help me decide which plants of my collection might benefit from a repot. I'll post a list of plants that I already have back-ups of so no harm done if I lose them, plus they won't die for nothing, because future plants will be happier by what I've learned :) Granted, this might be a while before I get to this, because I have the African Violet experiment to start with among other projects. I'm very excited though! :-D! Here are my initial thoughts on both mixes:

The gritty mix looks and feels just like I expected, it's not quite as heavy as I had imagined.

The 511 really surprised me. I was expecting a bag of coarse bark, with a sprinkle of peat moss. This was more peat-y looking than I expected. My own experiments with bark have been using much more coarse bark. I'm so very glad I saw this in person because I would have completely created a different mix had I tried this on my own haha.

Al, do you think a bark mix would have thrips or other bugs hanging around? I'm wondering if it's safe to cook it to kill off any possible insects before using it for my African Violets. Bugs love them so I try to be really cautious with any new organic things being used in their vicinity.

Which plants do you think are better suited to 511 and which to gritty mix from the list below? I remember that the amount of time they were in the mix mattered, like 511 WON'T last 10 years as a mix lol but I wasn't sure which types of plants work. Do some plants do better in one or the other at different stages?

Orchids like gritty mix or 511? (I use coarse bark at the moment)

Phalaenopsis

Cattleya

Brassia

African Violets and Streptocarpus, gritty or 511?

Plants in the Araceae family, like Aglaonema gritty or 511?

Citrus...gritty right? or no?

Tomatoes gritty or 511?

Brassica family plants, like kale, mustard greens, etc?

Hoyas? 511 or gritty?

Comments (14)