SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Workout Room / Craft Room ... Craft Room / Workout Room ...

IdaClaire
8 years ago

Our 4th bedroom is tucked away at the back of the house upstairs, and it currently houses an old twin bed (no head/footboard), a large mirror that's just propped against the wall, and DH's small weight set. We had been talking about turning that into a workout room and buying a piece of cardio equipment in the future. Both DH and I have gym memberships, though (he's a regular - me, not so much), and we have excellent walking trails near our house. I'm not so sure that an elliptical or treadmill would really see that much use at our house, although this is something that I'm afraid DH might have a strong feeling about.

I was just toying with this idea: What if we turned the room into a place for crafting instead? Granted, we don't do a lot of that either, but when we do it seems like there's never a good spot to spread everything out. We had this trouble at the old house, and definitely have it at the new one. Last night I worked on a wreath and ended up just spreading supplies out all over our bedroom floor. Our dining table is really too precious to me to use it to cut, glue, and assemble things on. So is the round table that we have upstairs in our library. I have also from time to time thought it would be nice to have a basic sewing machine. I had one years ago when I was into doll-making (made a few clothing items as well), and I might use a machine from time to time if I still had one. I do knit, and have my supplies tucked away in various boxes, bags, and in a large antique trunk. It would be nice to have a long table and some organized storage in that extra room, I think. DH is not big into crafting, but I can see him making use of a space like this for some of his manly-man projects.

I know you're not me and I'm not you, but if you had to choose between a workout room or a craft room, which would you prefer? Do you have one? Do you have both? Just wondering what others have chosen to do, really!

Comments (38)

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

It's easy for me, but that's because I'm not you. I'd choose the workout room, but then, I do use my home treadmill a lot, and I don't do crafts (I don't even wrap gifts).

IdaClaire thanked sjhockeyfan325
  • User
    8 years ago

I'd choose workout room too. I wish we had the space for a treadmill. As much as I love walking outdoors I hate it during the months of high humidity ... which means I don't do it then.

Couldn't you buy a pad for your library table for the times you want to craft?

IdaClaire thanked User
  • Related Discussions

Pics wanted: Anyone have a combo craft room/laundry room? (x-post

Q

Comments (7)
    I'm not sure I'll be much help, since ours isn't quite finished and fully operational yet. It sounds like what we're doing, but I don't have the washer and dryer for that room yet (our main laundry is upstairs), and we're just putting the craft/sewing area together. I can show you renderings of what it will look like finished. It's such a mess right now. We only have the counters and lower cabinets in place, but we sewed on them for Christmas projects and it seemed to work really well. (each corner serves as a sewing station...one for me with sewing-embroidery machine and serger, and one for the kids' machine) I only seem to have a floorplan already on photobucket and I'm at the wrong computer to add others, so I will have to do that later. In the meanwhile, here's the floorplan of the room. The kitchen is off to the right. The door on the left goes outside onto our side porch.
    ...See More

Show me your craft room/craft area

Q

Comments (7)
    I have a sewing/craft room set up, which I use almost every day. I can't find my camera cable right now, so I can't upload a photo, but I had a thought about your space. You really need a sewing machine space AND a table space because half of sewing is laying out the pattern, cutting, etc. I'm pretty sure I'm at my sewing table at least as much as I am at my machine itself. So, what might work really well for you is to get an old armoire from your local CL, and create something like the attached for the machine itself. Then you could position the table about a foot and a half out from the wall so that the person using it would stand between the wall and table, and could view tv. You could use the space under the table for wheeled carts which could hold storage supplies. Honestly the best storage I have in my craft room is the 8 foot long pegboard I put up. Everything hangs there: scissors, rotary cutters, rotary rulers, tape measures, etc. I can clean up in under two minutes, which helps me keep the area neat. The third element that is critical to the space is an ironing board. You could easily accomodate that by putting a fold-down board on the wall. They even have attractive cabinets for them now. Here is a link that might be useful: Sewing Cabinet from Armoire
    ...See More

GUEST ROOM / CRAFT ROOM

Q

Comments (2)
    Please post a photo and dimensions. You will get more responses if you do. You can post the photo and dimensions in the comment section.
    ...See More

basement design ideas- workout, yoga, craft area

Q

Comments (4)
    We knew this is what we wanted to use it for, but now its decorating time. We want to keep it flexible for other owners in the future. The "dry bar" is designed for wine in the future (center has plug & dimensions for wine fridge). The closet to the right is under the stairs & will be future wine cellar. For entertaining, it is possible, but mostly for "just us" - family of 2 with some fur babies. I wanted to open the stair well, but hubby said "absolutely not"... we did all the construction work!
    ...See More
  • Errant_gw
    8 years ago

I would love to have both, but opted for a workout room instead. I'm not the kind of person who can work out at a gym, so having my own room for a full rack and weights was important. We built it in a little bonus room on the garage level. I love my room :)

That said, SO's youngest just turned 18 and is in his last year of high school. I am counting down the days until I can turn that room into a sewing room! Right now, I end up spreading out on the dining room table for big projects. For smaller things, I set up a card table in the guest room to hold the machine. Neither way is very convenient.

IdaClaire thanked Errant_gw
  • DLM2000-GW
    8 years ago

Jen - I used to use our dining room table for crafts (nothing that involves pounding though) and it never suffered. I even reupholstered my dining room chair seats on it - twice! Buy a few yards of heavy fabric backed vinyl to cover your table. I believe the proper term might be marine vinyl but it's the kind of thing used to cover weight lifting benches - things that get heavy use. It is slightly padded and waterproof. I still have mine and it has years of paint, glue, glitter and who knows what else. For an infrequent project, i wouldn't dedicate a room when it's just as easy to cover your table and keep an eye on things in the kitchen or living room at the same time.

And I'm also a fair weather walker - too hot and I want to be in the AC, too cold or rainy and I'm indoors. You might use it more than you think when it's so convenient.

IdaClaire thanked DLM2000-GW
  • User
    8 years ago

We had a little gym in our previous house, we thought we would use when we couldnt get to the gym because of the weather in winter. I actually never used it, DH did the odd time. We both need the stimulation and social aspect of going out and working out at the gym. So I would not have a workout room, I wouldnt have a craft room either since I dont do any crafts. What I did do, is turn one of the rooms downstairs into a video gaming room when my grandsons come to visit or sleep over we have a good time there.

IdaClaire thanked User
  • User
    8 years ago

Workout room

IdaClaire thanked User
  • IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I should say that it's not only that I don't want to damage my dining table, but I'd like to have a space that I could close the door on. With the dining table, I'd have to clear things away after each use but having more of a dedicated room (or at least a dedicated table in a room with a door) would be so much nicer.

Just trying to think of how best to utilize that room, which feels like a blank canvas. As I said, DH will probably still think he wants a piece of cardio equipment - although he goes to the gym daily and I think he enjoys the social aspect of being out among people as well. We did have an elliptical in the spare bedroom of our previous home, but it was old and tired and broken down, so after awhile - even though it was still usable - we got to where we just hung laundry on it. ;-)

• sas95
    8 years ago

I would do the workout room, but I don't do any crafts, so it's an easy one for me. I do have a workout room with a number of pieces of equipment in it and I use it almost every day. I canceled my gym membership now that I am able to work out at home, and I find I am more consistent about my workouts when I don't have to travel to do them.

IdaClaire thanked sas95
  • User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I would want a workout room. I hate gyms, and our summers are too hot to exercise outside. I'd want machines, a TV/stereo, and big mirrors to torture myself into working out harder. Oh, and a margarita machine, duh! :D

But.....it sounds like you really want a craft room, so why not! Maybe a cardio machine can be put in your husband's room? Guest room? Library? Come on, let's start decorating Jen's Craft Room. :D

IdaClaire thanked User
  • Kippy
    8 years ago

Does the room have a closet?

I would turn turn that in to craft storage and then use folding tables. I have been seeing on one.

And it it would not stop you from having gym stuff too

IdaClaire thanked Kippy
  • fouramblues
    8 years ago

I'm in the process of consolidating all my sewing and crafting stuff in my 9'x14' craft room, so that we can turn it into a second guest room. (Yes, it'll get used!) Where is it all going? Into the 9'x18' workout room! I use the workout room religiously, and DH uses it in fits and starts. It's going to be tight, but I think we can fit everything in, because both functions are important to us. Any chance you can work out an organization system and a floor plan so you can have it all?

IdaClaire thanked fouramblues
  • just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

Have both. You could do a wall mount TV, a collection of yoga, Pilates and lighter weight lifting & cardio dvd's. Then, you just need a roll up mat and a few hand weights. You don't need a lot of room and all supplies can go on one shelf. Next, a big ole craft table .

IdaClaire thanked just_terrilynn
  • User
    8 years ago

Mzzgg has a good suggestion. Why cant the cardio machine go into your DH bedroom? Than you can have the whole room as a craft room.

IdaClaire thanked User
  • IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

DH's "snore room" isn't big enough to house a piece of equipment, unfortunately. He has a queen bed and plans to add furniture for storage. I might think more about how to consolidate crafting and working out into the one spare room though, as has been suggested. The room does have a fairly sizeable walk-in closet which is where a lot of supplies could be stored so that they're out of the way. While it's nice to have the twin bed just in case my brother comes in from out of town, or a niece/nephew wants to spend the night, in reality that's something that would happen so infrequently that it's probably not worth even thinking about keeping it.

Hmmmm. I'll discuss with DH and perhaps we can come up with a plan that will suit us both.

• Errant_gw
    8 years ago

Huh? I thought Mzzgg's suggestion was a margarita machine in the work out room? Once I saw that, everything else was just blah blah blah :D

• pooks1976
    8 years ago

My vote is for a workout room. I love mine, but than I don't craft and anything that uses my dining table is a plus. Workout room has gym quality elliptical, bike, and weight bench. Plus various free weights and a wall mounted TV that is connected to cable, dvr, and netflix.

IdaClaire thanked pooks1976
  • ghostlyvision
    8 years ago

I do lots of crafting, sewing and crochet, so I'd go for the craft room, but is the room big enough to have it serve both functions? If you have a good-sized walk in closet you could put some shelving units in it and have plenty of storage space for all your crafting, knitting and sewing suppiles and really only need space in the main room for a decent-sized table for your sewing machine and projects (and maybe a small cabinet for things you'd like to be within reach of the table).

IdaClaire thanked ghostlyvision
  • User
    8 years ago

Definitely a project room. I don't craft per se, but I always have one project or another going. I have a 19x22 bedroom/office/library/sewing/storage room on the 2nd floor that allows me to keep my in-progress projects going while entertaining on the ground floor. Plus, there are plenty of outlets for the margarita machine. I like going out to my gym as I could not replicate at home all the equipment I use there.

IdaClaire thanked User
  • localeater
    8 years ago

I totally vote for the workout room. Our basement serves triple duty as my office- I work from home fulltime, there is a gaming corner for my DS's and there is workout gear: free weights, treadmill, resistance trainer, bike on training flywheel. On my longer term project list is redoing the basement, but first there is the roof, then our master bath, and you all know how that goes...

Even though the space now is cramped it gets a lot of use, and a heavy bag and speedbag will soon join the equipment line up.

IdaClaire thanked localeater
  • just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

Tell your husband you will get him the P90 package with 10 workouts that include cardio. He wouldn't have to have a machine. Doing the same ole on the same machine is boring and why they often end up not used. With Dvd's if you start getting bored you just get some different workouts. You can find deals on used ones on eBay. This way if he doesn't feel like going to the gym he can still get a good workout. (Just helping with the sales pitch).

IdaClaire thanked just_terrilynn
  • zorroslw1
    8 years ago

I too think you could do both. Maybe put shelves in the closet for craft storage and have a folding table that can be used when needed. I like a multi purpose room. There are just hubby and me. We have a 3 bedroom home. The 2 bedroom is a guest bedroom. The 3rd bedroom is an office/sitting room. The sitting room part is when we need to get away from each other for a while:).

IdaClaire thanked zorroslw1
  • jlc712
    8 years ago

I have a combination craft/storage room and I love keeping my messes contained in there. But I probably should have a workout room instead :-)

IdaClaire thanked jlc712
  • lolauren
    8 years ago

We have a workout room and both use it daily. It has wall-size mirrors, a tv and all the weight/cardio equipment. Suddenly, I feel inadequate since it lacks a margarita machine.... :)

(We would never use a craft room.)

IdaClaire thanked lolauren
  • OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

Workout room.

IdaClaire thanked OutsidePlaying
  • laughablemoments
    8 years ago

We'd put a craft room in (although, like Jlc712, I probably should choose workout room.) If the closet is sizable, I'd be tempted to put the cardio machine in there! Then I could line all the walls with storage and put a giant craft island in the middle of the room. Oh, and a sewing spot in front of a window, and I'd leave the iron and the ironing board up all. the. time. I could get lost for hours looking at craft rooms and fabric storage ideas on pinterest. But, those would be happy hours, no margaritas necessary. ; )

IdaClaire thanked laughablemoments
  • MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

We have always had a craft room and it sure gets a lot of use ... but that is mostly for school projects, kids fun, Halloween costumes,and, for my part, gift wrapping. We do also use it for games sometimes. And of course adult coloring books are "in"! (no joking)

So, in your case, I wonder how much use it would get.

OTOH, used exercise eqp is the ONE item almost no Goodwill. etc. will take; it is so ubiquitous since so many people buy it and don't use it. If you do make a home gym, it has to be a really attractive space with eqp you will want to use, mirrors, the right floors, good light and/or views, and entertainment.

IdaClaire thanked MtnRdRedux
  • Star Jeep
    8 years ago

Both! I have a 10x11 room that contains a twin bed, folding treadmill, free weights, large desk thats used for projects and plenty of craft storage. It might not be pretty but it all fits.

IdaClaire thanked Star Jeep
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    8 years ago

Both. How much workout equipment can there possibly be if he does most of it at the gym? One machine with weights, mats, and what else? Can't be too much to get in the way of a desk, table, and some shelves. Both :)

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, everyone! The consensus seems to be workout room, oh you fit people, you! :-)

Although I must say that I think the best suggestion that's been made in this forum in a long time is the addition of a margarita machine! I don't even drink anymore, but I am still thinking that's an idea I could get behind! LOL!

• eastautumn
    8 years ago

I'm with those who've suggested creating a dual-purpose room. It sounds like you would use the crafting/project space, so why not set up half the room (or at least a corner) with a work space for yourself, and find some (gently used) fitness equipment your husband wants? Then you could see how you end up using the room before devoting more space than necessary to one purpose or the other.

When I'm ready for another area to have to clean and maintain (which won't be for at least a couple of years), we'll finish our basement. We have the floor plan roughly worked out, and one room will be a combined fitness and project room. Right now the fitness stuff is set up in a corner of the unfinished basement and only sees use on the coldest mornings of the year, or occasionally when the kids are playing down there and it's too hot to run outside. I'm not sure it will get much more use even when finished as I'd much rather be outside moving around, but it's nice to have during periods of extreme weather.

My sewing machine is now in a corner of our bedroom that's not ideal, but better than having it shut up somewhere. Projects end up all over the house, spread out in the living room or dining room. There's a kids craft table spackled and ready to be sanded sitting in the middle of the living room as I type. I know I would use a project space if I had a designated one, but the thought of having to clean (and decorate!) the basement when I'm still working on the main floors is too much for me at the moment.

IdaClaire thanked eastautumn
  • Kippy
    8 years ago

What does DH say? He may like the gym for certain big equipment and want something smaller that can share for home. And the encouragement of working out with others might make a home gym less fun

The way I craft is more like a lunatic for a week and then it might be a month or two before I have time again. I think there is a way for a good compromise

IdaClaire thanked Kippy
  • tinam61
    8 years ago

You could combine. We have a home office and we have an eliptical in the room. I'm not a big crafter, only do a little sewing from time to time so I really don't want that stuff out all the time. My sewing machine is easy to get out/put up, so it's no bother. If I'm working on a craft type project, I just the dining room table. I prefer to be there than in the office because it is very bright (light) and looks out to the sunroom/backyard. I've even painted on my dining room table, simply covered it.

IdaClaire thanked tinam61
  • IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

LOL, Kippy! The way you craft (like a lunatic for a week then not so much) is the way I craft and work out!

I haven't had a chance to discuss yet with DH, but do think that if we can make everything fit, he'll be fine with a combined workout/craft space. I think the relatively large closet (while not big enough to actually put a piece of exercise equipment in) will really help in keeping the amount of clutter that's sitting out in the room to a minimum.

Honestly, I started watching "Escape to the Country" episodes last night and totally blanked on everything else that's been on my mind. ;-)

• patty_cakes42
    8 years ago

Since most of my crafting(on again/off again)is done in one side of my 2 car garage, it's working, and I would consider a room a waste~how would I spray paint? As for a work out room, my free weights(2/8lb)are under the armoire in my bedroom, and other excersizes I do are resistence 'variety', so don't use weights. If the set-up were right, I would LOVE a dressing room, aka, over-size closet. That's my dream!

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh, now - closet/dressing room! That's something else that is appealing to me. I've got a nice walk-in master closet that houses only my things (DH took a closet upstairs for his), and I really wanted to make it "mine". It's nice and neat, but still looks like a closet! I'd like it to be prettier, and may work at that later on - adding some decorative storage boxes, etc. I'd like for it to look more feminine, which is a strange thing to say about a woman's closet that is full of a woman's clothes, isn't it?

• patty_cakes42
    8 years ago

I love a 'girlie' closet! With DH freeing up space for you, it's a golden opportunity. In my last home, I wallpapered, added a French style sofa table(narrower)w/drawers to use as a vanity, added wall lamps on each side, hung a fancy mirror, added shelves for shoes, and went so far as to sheer fabric on rods(top/bottom)to hide stored items on above shelves. I even removed the ugly globe fixture and had my son hang a small 'chandy'. Had pictures on the dang old phone I never uploaded to the pc. Have the wallpaper to do the same thing in this house, but after 7 years still haven't started the 'project.'

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Love the sound of that! I do need a full-length mirror in my closet, and would also like a little bench or chair to sit on while removing or putting on shoes. You're inspiring me!