SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrspete

Your thoughts on pantry placement?

mrspete
8 years ago

This is my floorplan. I am planning to widen the kitchen and dining room by 2' ; thus, the kitchen will be13-4 x 10-4 and will have more cabinets in the U ... and the dining room will be 13-4 x 12-4. We're also widening the utility room a bit. I am completely happy with the layout I have picked for the U and appliances ... but I'm wondering about the pantry.

First option -- this gives me the a 7' run of cabinets against the "back wall" of the kitchen, which I would use the drawers in this run for dish storage. I would keep things like a bowl of fruit and a cake plate on these cabinets. This is probably the most attractive option. The pantry would be located "around the corner", and it would be about 7'x3' deep -- the yellow box is the pantry. Remember, the utility room will be widened, so the pantry won't be cramped up against the washer and dryer.
Second option: Do away with the "back wall" of the kitchen, which would allow the pantry to be 7'x5' deep, and the door would open directly into the kitchen. This is the least expensive option because it would reduce the amount of expensive cabinetry /counter top that I use. The items I would otherwise store in the cabinets could easily fit into the pantry. But would it look as good?
Final option: I didn't draw this one as nicely. Do away with PART of the kitchen's "back wall" of cabinets, leaving me a small amount of "show space" on that wall ... and make a long, narrow walk-in pantry. This would allow the pantry to be something like 12' deep ... but because I have to leave space for the washer/dryer in the utility room, it will only have shelves on one side. This isn't a total loss: I'd do pegboards on the other side, and I do have loads of stuff that could hang ... but that's not nearly as useful as pantry shelves. I wonder if this option isn't just cumbersome?

With this option in mind, I could envision expanding the utility room further forward so it is
"even" with the kitchen/dining room wall, but then that would mean the
dining room's leftmost bay window would look straight at a brick wall.
That'd be odd.

Your thoughts on pantry placement? And thanks.

Comments (19)