SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girl_wonder

washer/dryer closet + pullout pantry design--any thoughts?

girl_wonder
5 years ago

I'm designing my W/D closet and would love your input to help me optimize this space.

The dimensions are approx 72" wide by 38.5" deep. (the cabinet guy measured 74.5 wide, maybe because the baseboard trim can be removed).

My goals:

a) stacking W/D; Hookups for the W/D will likely be on the left wall, in a recessed niche.

b) pull-out pantry

c) place to stash broom and tall step ladder (and other things), if possible

d) optimize for storage and usability

e) cabinet faces look pleasant (balanced?). I'll see this when working at the island.

Here's the cabinet guy's initial quick and dirty first-pass:

Some thoughts on this design:

a) I'd like the pantry doors to be even with the W/D. The deepest normal pullout is 30" deep, so one thought it to create a chase behind it and use for HVAC duct.

b) he shows a 175 degree opening on the W/D cabinet. Can this still work if the pantry cabinet door is flush? Is this needed, esp. if there is extra room around the W/D?

c) do I need a 42" wide pantry? Can pull-out drawers support the weight of all that stuff?

d) any way to fit in the broom/stepladder?

I've considered a few ideas:

1) pair of 36" openings, each with a pair of 18" doors. Pantry on right. W/D on left, and stash broom etc in the extra space next to W/D and below hookups. Assume W/D width about 28-29".

2) 2' wide pantry. 14"' wide pull out for broom, step-ladder etc. Approx 34" wide (pair of doors) for W/D. Will this look like a jumble of cabinet faces?

3) 2' wide pantry; 4' wide cabinet for W/D and brooms etc. The 4' wide cabinet would have a pair of 2' wide doors, so there would be some symmetry, three 2' wide doors. But when you open the W/D door, the appliances will take up more than half the space. Does this matter in terms of looks? Maybe not.

4) forget about cabinets and build as closet with doors. (seems more $ and may be less space efficient).

Are any of these good ideas or moving in the right direction?

I'd have a dream of using those pivot and slide in doors, but they take a lot of space. If I had a pair of them, the hookups would have to move (cabinet above the W/D?). The cabinet guy says they need 4" per door (they add a 3/4 partition), so that's 8" for a pair. ;( There's a hardware company that sells those systems and they take about 2.5" inches, including a 1.25" door, so only 5" for the pair. Here's one example using real doors, but cabinets can have them too.

What do you think? I'd love your thoughts. Thanks so much for considering this.

Comments (7)