SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chispa

New Members to GW please read

chispa
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Dear New Members to GW,

As you read through pages and pages of old and interesting threads on GW, please take note of the date the thread was started and the date of the last response. Please don't make a general comment on the old thread and bring it back up to the top, specially if the thread is 5 years old and the last comment was also 5 years ago. If you would like to discuss a similar topic/project, start and new thread with your questions and put a link to the old thread for reference.

By bringing back up old threads, whose projects and questions have long been finished and answered, you move current threads/projects down the page, or worse to the second page, where they get less visibility.

Also pay attention that the thread was not brought back up by a spammer with links to their site/products. If that is the case, go ahead and click on the small flag and report it as spam. This will get the spam removed, but unfortunately will not move the thread back to it old resting spot.

Let's keep the site current and active! :-)

Comments (31)

• IdaClaire
    8 years ago

Thank you, chispa! This needed to be said. All those ancient threads dredged up -- ugh!

chispa thanked IdaClaire
  • LynnNM
    8 years ago

Amen to that!!!

chispa thanked LynnNM
  • Related Discussions

have: 4 commercial seed packs for a 2006 new GW member

Q

Comments (6)
    zone3er - sorry; sent those seeds last week to pmermuys (her request posting was one above yours). I might have a few more down the road once I finish winter sowing - I'll post another topic here once I know for sure. PS - Is anyone else finding it very hard to communiate here at GW these days with everyones email addresses blocked. People can email me/reply here to my postings - and I can get both delivered to my email box; but I am not able to reply to those emails, via email back to them because the members email is blocked. Gets frustrating to always hope the requesting member checks certain threads otherwise there is no way to get in touch with that requestor. Not sure if this is how GW is automatically set up now, but it took almost 2 months to give away 4 packs of commercial seeds because I couldn't email the requesting members from above via email due to email address blocks. It certainly doesn't make it easy to give away seeds for free these days here.
    ...See More

Read Me If You're New To GW Kitchens! [Help keep on Page 1]

Q

Comments (4)
    Buehl, please do! I was just trying to save something of use. I'd been checking the GW all night, turned my back for 15 minutes to watch the Health Care vote, and whammo! all the posts were gone. I kept refreshing, thinking, "This can't be!"
    ...See More

Read Me If You're New To GW Kitchens! [Help keep on Page 1]

Q

Comments (149)
    board is moving fast today!
    ...See More

RE: Read Me If You're New To GW Kitchens! [Help keep on Page 1]

Q

Comments (11)
    Please do not bump this...the original, full thread is available again. Please let it drop into oblivion!
    ...See More
  • zorroslw1
    8 years ago

Kudos

chispa thanked zorroslw1
  • IdaClaire
    8 years ago

LOL, MizGG!

chispa thanked IdaClaire
  • rosesstink
    8 years ago

Listen to Chispa. If you want responses/answers don't post questions on an old thread. Those of us who have been around awhile will most likely not open those old threads. So your question will receive few, if any, responses. YOUR questions deserve a new thread.

chispa thanked rosesstink
  • chispa
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I thanked MizGG for her comment, but maybe I should have reported her as spam! ;-)

The weird part about zombie threads, is reading through a long one, having a sense of deja-vu and then reading a comment you wrote five years ago!!

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    8 years ago

Yes, and they ofttimes bring to mind those who have left. Remember whitdobie's beautiful red border collie?

• 4boys2
    8 years ago

Or when you read through an old thread and suddenly see your name..What ? ..I said that ? Who was I ?

• daisychain Zn3b
    8 years ago

Really appreciate the effort to help get rid of the constant annoyance of those threads. I have a feeling that they are often revived by non-gardenwebbers who google search a topic and find old threads. Really wish the powers that be would come up with a permanent solution. Not sure why it just started with the Houzz takeover.

• deegw
    8 years ago

I have been on GW since 2001. I have to admit that I am slightly worried that something ridiculous that I posted ten years ago will suddenly pop up on the front page. It's too bad TBTB can't make threads read only after a certain number of years.

• graywings123
    8 years ago

There is an easy solution - close the thread and make them read-only after a certain period.

• eld6161
    8 years ago

Although, some can be useful. What neutral paint worked best in your north facing room? The advise on the old threads are still helpful today.

• User
    8 years ago

Good point ellendi6161 and sometimes topics are discussed to extinction so that the old threads serve as a reminder that a new discussion isn't really needed. But I am in the habit of checking the start date of the thread before I even open it.

After reading an old thread that was recently revived, maybe there should be a more formal set of instructions like there used to be on the old GW instead of YELLING at newcomers who post.

I'd been lurking on the old GW for years before I started posting and know enough that the variety of contributors here has lessened. (Variety, not quality.) The long-time posters' responses are always very helpful but also very predictable. Some new perspectives would be fun but maybe keep in mind there is a learning curve when it comes to contributing on this forum.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

Thank you for posting this chispa. Pretty annoying most of the time, even though an occasional old thread that surfaces might contain some worthwhile info. Can't you still search on topics and get the same info?

• User
    8 years ago

I find some of the old threads annoying too however, I do agree with the minority that the threads may be old but can and do still have helpful information in them. New responses with new ideas can refresh the information too. Unfortunately, we may be regulars but we don't own the forum and it's free for everyone to use as they please (as long as it fits GW's rules).

The easiest solution for those who don't want to be bothered with old threads is to look at the date of a thread before you engage in it. If it's not something you want to revisit, skip it.

• sheesh
    8 years ago

I am also in the minority that doesn't mind. There is a lot of good info in old threads. Plus, if YOU are reading an old thread it means YOU didn't check the date before you clicked. Just sayin'.

• chispa
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The problem is that you get involved in the question/project in the thread and then get to the end and realize it was from 5 years ago and completed by now. Which is why I said if you want to talk more about that same subject, then start a new thread with your questions/ideas and link to the old thread as background information.

You can do as much research, reading of old threads and looking up information for your project, as you want, but there is no need to post a "me too" comment and bring back and old thread, just to show us that you read through it.

• sheesh
    8 years ago

I understand that, but I think you're spending a lot of energy trying to fix an irritation. After all, if you the reader didn't notice the date and read an old post, why does it upset you that other readers/writers didn't notice? I don't think posters to old threads post just to show us that you read through it. They just didn't notice the date. There is plenty of room here and also plenty of bumping to keep active threads on page one.

• User
    8 years ago

How about the posting of off-decorating topics on this side instead of Conversations? Pet peeve.

• User
    8 years ago

It's not a complicated fix, just look at the date the thread was started before opening it; how hard can it be when it's right there below the threads title?

Allison, I know what you mean, I'm like that when looking at board on Pinterest; why would someone have hair cuts in their animal board for example. LOL Honestly, though, I don't think that's something people do intentionally. I can't count how many times I've thought I was in conversations, wrote and posted my thoughts and then discovered oops, wrong spot...(while asking how the heck did that happen?) I've learned the hard way to check it right after posting so I can move it if it's wrong....but I don't think a lot of people especially newer folks realize they're doing it when they are.

• User
    8 years ago

Don't even get me started on Pinterest! I don't want them to follow someone for me, and I am tired of the ad pins. Too many!

• Bunny
    8 years ago

There is an easy solution - close the thread and make them read-only after a certain period.

Graywings, I agree with you 100%. Seems we had this discussion a few months ago, and I was surprised to learn how many are opposed to such a thing.

While we're chatting about threads in general, I have one major/minor gripe. And this isn't about anyone in particular, perhaps I've done it myself.

Threads titled, for example:

Help!

Why?

Just one more

Which one?

What would you do?

Etc.

Can you just give a brief word or three as to what the post is about?

• User
    8 years ago

I noticed that a few of the old threads are opened by spammers. I dont bother looking at the old ones anymore.

Linelle, I find those threads intriguing, I want to know what they are all about.

• Bunny
    8 years ago

Rose, I'm glad you enjoy them. :) I sometimes do not enjoy opening a thread to discover I have no interest in the subject or anything to offer. I guess I like clear, easy to understand labeling.

• Errant_gw
    8 years ago

Time for a much needed bump! Once again, old threads are popping back up.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Umm, irony? Bumping this old thread?

• IdaClaire
    8 years ago

I wish they'd do here what they do on other forums, such as Tripadvisor. You can still pull up old threads and read what's there - you just can't post to them. I believe there's a six month "expiration period" on Tripadvisor threads. Seems the reappearance of the old threads here bother some folks and don't bother others, but if they'd institute something along the lines of what I just described, I think the issue would be alleviated all around. This would also make things a little tougher for spammers, which I'm sure we'd all appreciate.

• Errant_gw
    8 years ago

It doesn't bother me, I just feel badly for those who jump on and try to help someone that's long gone by now.

• User
    8 years ago

Maybe we should do like on the kitchen forum. Keep bumping this up so that it stays on page 1?

• Travis Terrell
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Nothing to say, just posting here to see if this issue has been fixed in the past 3 years.

Edit: Wow, it hasn't. I'm guessing that most of this site's regular users have left, as it's rather unacceptable that such a basic flaw would still exist today (or for that matter, even in late 2015, when this topic was introduced.)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!