SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_2447812

Listing home soon - How would you stage this family room?

User
8 years ago

Comments (71)

• deegw
    8 years ago

We can all give you our opinion about the paint color but it really depends on your market.

You have to consider that this forum is populated by people who like decorating and are not going to be put off by a color that they don't like. Younger, first time buyers or people who do not want to make any changes might be put off by the strong color.

In my market, if the room was a cozy den or dining room the paint would be fine. Again, for my market, the color is very dated for a main living area. You need to ask a few local realtors about the color.

User thanked deegw
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The adjoining room is the kitchen. It's painted Behr Stable Hay. The afternoon sun does make it look yellowish.

We've lived here 19 years, so staging to sell is new to me. I prefer the old way of clean and uncluttered.

• Related Discussions

How would you arrange my family room? pics

Q

Comments (12)
    Okay. Thanks for the ideas. Caminnc, thanks for posting that shot. I did like the room that way. Everything is shoved around and squeezed together because my son wanted the Christmas tree in this room. Yes, the TV has to stay there because we have Dish, not cable, and the wiring runs down inside of that wall. No, the ceilings are not shiny, and I will change the fixtures as soon as I can. I am totally open to taking things out and shopping my house for something better. I have a small house and I'm running out of room, and I do need to edit. Hopefully, I will be able to replace some furniture down the road. I have been looking for a round pedestal dining table, which would probably be a better fit. I have been working on making some new pillows to add some color/pattern. I considered doing some my3dogs valances, but I think the long window is just too long.
    ...See More

Anyone listing their home for sale soon?

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi Roselvr - I re-read that thread I started nearly a year ago about my frustration in selling. It completely made a huge knot of stress form in my stomach!!! But, it was good to read all of it again. There were some helpful suggestions there, but it's made me very stressed... I am so nervous because with the last attempt at listing, I feel like we were nearly there with the staging - the house looked inviting, etc. But unfortunately, MOST of that staging props were mine and not my sister's and we have since moved them with us to our new location 800 miles away. So now the only furniture is dorm-room quality hand me downs of my 23 year old sister. I feel like we've taken a step back in terms of staging :-( I think that this new Realtor is a much better choice. Her website comes up first when you do a Google search for homes in the suburb we're in, she's sold several homes in my neighborhood, and she seems to be more realistic and thorough. You see her name everywhere when you are on my side of town. That wasn't the case with the old Realtor. You saw his listing company (tucker) but never just his name. Right now, the Realtor has recommended $150,000 list price, which is 5k less than what we paid 5 years ago, and 5k less than what we had it listed at a year ago. Sigh......thanks for the selling dust! I think I need a vacuum full of as much selling dust as possible.....
    ...See More

How many of you 'stage' your home for selling?

Q

Comments (35)
    We've decided to go ahead and move all the boxes I've packed and the furniture that has been redacted from the rooms (now residing in the attic) to storage in our new home state. DH is coming home next week and wants to load up a truck to take back. He's crazy, but I love him. I'm trying to locate a professional home stager but it is not easy when you live in L.A. (lower Alabama) I need help getting them in the front door - that has been our biggest problem, then the inside. I don't want to spend another dime on the house without real professional advice rather than real estate agents who have had "classes." Obviously, their advice hasn't worked. I read up on them and thier fees and it appears that you can get a variety of services from an initial consultation, to a stage using your stuff, then one with their stuff and on up. I tried to get one earlier but she never returned my call, probably cause most of the interior designers work for builders and don't have time for us little folks. I think if you are in a slow market and have a hard house to sell it would be best to consult with a professional. Just my .02 cents.
    ...See More

Help! How would you stage this room?

Q

Comments (25)
    Nancy, how about an area rug in colors you will use in your new house? Anything you can take with you and re-use are the only purchases you should be making at this time. Who was it that said, "you can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can plase some of the people some of the time." All you need is *one* SOMEOne. ;)
    ...See More
  • Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Staging is local. When we sold our last house, as far as staging, we moved a few pieces of furniture around and removed family pictures and add a few throw blankets at our realtor's suggestion. In this market, virtually everyone moves out of the house completely before putting it on the market, the house is then professionally staged (a handful, usually estates are shown empty), they hold two weekends of open houses, hold all offers until the following Wednesday and then pick from their multiple bids. So almost every single house is completely staged. It's all local.

User thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • Rory (Zone 6b)
    8 years ago

I am also getting my home ready to put on the market and looking for new digs. The green is very bold and not to my taste but as a buyer it would not put me off as it's an easy fix.

I would put the sofa on the left side of the fireplace and the 2 chairs opposite the sofa along the window wall. Pull the sofa and chairs closer into the middle of the room and put the end table between the 2 chairs. Use the ottoman as the coffee table with a big tray on top. I would also ditch the TV cabinet and cleat the walkway to the French doors.

The windows are great!

User thanked Rory (Zone 6b)
  • k9arlene
    8 years ago

Why doesn't your realtor hold a realtors' open house and get feedback from the other realtors that come through. They know what people are looking for in your market and can probably give you the best advice.

User thanked k9arlene
  • Olychick
    8 years ago

As is, your home is furnished and painted much more nicely than about 80% of homes I see listed. I probably wouldn't choose that green, but it really sets off the windows/trim so beautifully, it could be a plus.

I would not even worry about tweaking things until you get some real estate agent advice. I think staging is a great idea for homes that need it; imho yours is already beautifully staged.

• IdaClaire
    8 years ago

Just saw this on a blog and it cracked me up - had to share. ;-)

Personally, I wouldn't repaint. I understand that the whole purpose is to get that house sold ASAP, but I cannot wrap my head around the idea that a person cannot see past a wall color. Yes, painting is a chore, but to completely discount a house right away based upon the fact that the wall is green (or black or blue or red or yellow or whatever) is a foreign concept to me.

I do understand that most of us here probably don't fit the norm when it comes to everything house-related though.

If that were my room, I'd probably remove the carousel horse just to make a bit more space - but even that's not really necessary. It's a lovely, open room and already looks spacious, clean and inviting just as you have it.

User thanked IdaClaire
  • nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Looks like you get lots of differing opinions here. I, for one, love the horse because it's both whimsical and classy.

What I would do is try to imagine who your potential buyers may be and then "stage" to appeal to that group.

Also, there are lots of ideabooks here on Houzz on how to appeal to a certain target group.

[https://www.houzz.com/magazine/sell-your-home-fast-21-staging-tips-stsetivw-vs~2661221[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/sell-your-home-fast-21-staging-tips-stsetivw-vs~2661221)

On the right of that page, you'll see a lot more staging idea books, e.g. how to appeal to younger buyers, etc.

User thanked nosoccermom
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Our kids are grown and we're downsizing. We have 5 BR, so I'm assuming a family with young kids will move in. I'll check out the ideabooks too.

• aa62579
    8 years ago

Agree with others to remove the carousel horse and rocking chair.

The TV in the cabinet bothers me just because for me it draws attention to their not seeming to be a good location for the tv in that room and it blocks what appear to be functioning doors. (I'm not sure what the wall behind the brown chair looks like - I'm just talking based on the photos shown.) The mantle on the fireplace is too high to put a tv over it.

The color doesn't bother me and actually shows me what a dark/bright color would do in the room and now lets me decide based on my own taste/furnishings if I want to keep it, if I want to go with a neutral, or if I want to go with a different dark/bright.

User thanked aa62579
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Behind the tan chair is a partial wall and a set of stairs going upstairs. We didn't put the tv over there because we didn't want to look a wall instead of looking outside when seated.

The tv cabinet doesn't block any doors. That's just a wall of windows.

• lascatx
    8 years ago

A 5 BR home is neither a starter or one for an older couple -- the groups most likely to want everything neutral. If every room is a different color, you might want to paint some, but I would talk to local agents. It's okay to tell them you are planning, not hiring now, and would like to get their input of the market and making your home ready for a good sale. Most agents like sellers who want and will take good advise and it will help you at least tentatively decide on one or two agents you would want to list with. Better for you and them to have a plan that works than put in time and money only to do it again or be disappointed with the price or time it takes to sell the house.

User thanked lascatx
  • just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

Here...maybe someone can arrange your furniture from this.

User thanked just_terrilynn
  • graywings123
    8 years ago

I don't see a reason to remove the carousel horse. That is a big room that is not over-stuffed with furniture, and the horse isn't blocking a walkway. Some of the smaller nick-knacks look undersized for the room. Those I would switch out for larger decorative pieces.

User thanked graywings123
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Actually, the majority of other rooms in the house (including the basement) are a neutral color, with the exception of 1 BR which is blue and the foyer, which is Sherwin Williams Salt Water.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

I'd leave the paint as is.

Is there a way that you could get a slipcover for the sofa or exchange it for a more neutral sofa?

Can you add the large Persian rug?

Get rid of the TV. Set up another room as TV room. Or alternatively, set it right next to the fireplace, not at an angle.

Your windows are stunning, and I'd highlight this feature.

User thanked nosoccermom
  • patty_cakes42
    8 years ago

HGTV has depersonalyzed and replaced 'home' with staging~I would liken it to processed food. I remember looking at homes years ago and knowing an actual family was living in each of them, and seeing family pictures and other personal items was heart warming, NOT distracting. It's become 'standard procedure' to remove anything and everything that says a family lives here, but I would not change/remove art, pillows, and other decorating items. You are selling *your* home and IMO, a home decorated in your style, or the placement of furniture is not going to make or break a sale. I sold 2 homes within 4 years in a declining S Ca market, and didn't strip down either home. What I did remove were collections, extra unnecessary books, also decluttered closets, and anything which didn't 'add' to the overall look of the house. Your house is your home and it's beautiful!

User thanked patty_cakes42
  • just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

I would create more of a focal point on each side of the fireplace with picture groupings from another room. Swap horse and TV. One chair would be near but out from the horse. The other chair near its currant location but not blocking TV. Cream or white doodads on the sofa table to spread the trim color. Green pillows on neutral sofa.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We're in GA in a suburb north of Atlanta. I've looked at homes currently for sale and it seems to be mixed...some stage and others simply declutter, but leave some personality.

• Bluebell66
    8 years ago

I say leave the paint. It looks nice as is, and after you put it on the market, if the paint color feedback you get is negative, then consider repainting. We have sold three homes in the last 15 years. Each one was painted colorfully (but tastefully), and I didn't neutralize much at all, and we got great feedback. A lot of people like color, they just don't know how to select it, so when they see a beautiful room like yours they may very well appreciate it. Good luck!

User thanked Bluebell66
  • nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Oh, but you can leave some personality. I think it helps to think that you're not just selling a house but a "life style", so some aspirational staging is in order. Most of us like to live in an uncluttered and attractive place, even if our own place is a mess.

If you're really devious, you put some tennis rackets, golf clubs, and lacrosse sticks in the closets, hang some pictures of international destinations, and add some European kitchen gadgets (in my area at least).

I would look at houses that are higher priced than yours (and at a Pottery Barn catalog :)

Bunch of other links on staging

User thanked nosoccermom
  • just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

But Mtn, your homes could be used as examples of already being well staged/perfect and ready to go as they are.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

True. I have friends who decided on a weekend to sell their house; it hit the market on Tuesday for broker's open house. Offers were reviewed on Saturday and the contract signed on Sunday.

Now, me, I'd need months to declutter, clean, repair, paint, plant, etc....

• MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

Jterri, I always knew I liked you!

• just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

Awww!

• User
    8 years ago

Paint all walls a neutral cafe au last color and slipcover all furniture in which duck.

• MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

Really, you think so? But, just to be illustrative (and meaning no offense to the poster or anyone else) what if this is say, a 250k house? Painting all walls and slipcovers could cost 10k. Are you really so sure she will recoup more than 10k? Who knows?

User thanked MtnRdRedux
  • nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Agree. It depends on the local market. There are pockets in my area where a move-in ready house will sell for substantially more than the amount it costs to update it. People are so busy that they are willing to pay a premium for not having to bother with renovation.

User thanked nosoccermom
  • artemis_ma
    8 years ago

I wouldn't paint it. Remove all toys as you said you plan. Otherwise it looks move-in ready, and it doesn't matter what color walls are, someone's going to want different. Everything was pale grey with white trim when I moved in here (except for the third bedroom with a wall of wallpaper) -- I couldn't wait to get rid of that blandness! But I wasn't going to go house hunting till I found the absolutely perfect house, and this way I could re-paint as I went along. Function over form -- you'll never appeal even to a majority if you just focus on form.

PS: slipcovered furniture makes me worry....

User thanked artemis_ma
  • artemis_ma
    8 years ago

And I totally agree with patty_cakes42 - overstaged and sterilized rooms make me think no one is currently living there. I enjoyed seeing personal touches in homes I looked at prior to purchasing this one. I was able to look at these and imagine my own stuff there. Everything stripped out -- I left those places in the dust. Mind you, a whole wall of personal photographs needs to be dismantled, but touches here and there remind me of the human aspects of home ownership and are seriously NOT to be discouraged. This whole movement to staging with stuff you may not even own -- ick ick ick (and it seriously looks like the homeowner is just renting the props -- we marks can tell...)

User thanked artemis_ma
  • just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

I don't think there is anything wrong with highlighting selling features of a home. I also don't think one has to go money spending crazy to do that or go so crazy it looks sterile. The wall color is pretty, its not like it's hot pink or something. However, there is a large part of our society that has no imagination and spends way to much time noticing furniture or what they may view as clutter in a room instead of the "bones". So, there is nothing wrong with swapping out a few things or even eliminating a few things to appeal to a larger group. Due to the internet your house pictures are online to be viewed, studied and considered so you do want the main areas to look good to get buyers into your home. Sometimes you can pull a few items from other rooms or make a tiny little investment from something on craigslist. I would never spend more than $300 or $500 on staging unless it was on things I planned on using in the next home.

• tete_a_tete
    8 years ago

I'm a mug at decorating but I just read that someone else was confused by the neighbouring yellow. Me too!

Regarding the TV, to me it steals the show. And a TV should never be that important.

But I really shouldn't be in this thread.

ETA: I feel that when photographing this room from the angle in the 2nd pic, maybe move a little to the left so that the yellow doesn't show. Just a thought from a non-decorator and average mug.

User thanked tete_a_tete
  • User
    8 years ago

I think staging is somewhat out of hand. Clean, uncluttered, and organized goes such a long way and your home looks to have all three under control.

The paint...I've been looking at houses lately and am usually horrified at the paint choices. Obviously repainting does take time and cost money, but I could live with something neutral longer than a color I found offensive. I actually like your paint colors (still wouldn't keep them long term) and think they show off the windows/trim nicely. That said, you ceilings look tall and that could give some pause to a DIYer since they may have to hire out. I say keep the paint as is and if you're getting negative feedback, then consider going light and neutral. Don't spend your money if you don't have to.

I don't think people will have a hard time 'seeing' your house as their own.

User thanked User
  • chisue
    8 years ago

Let's forget that you use this room to watch TV. Replace the TV with a club chair and ottoman, side table with lamp.

Pull the sofa back from the fireplace wall, leaving walkway to French doors. Remove the sofa table. Add two chairs facing the window wall, making an 'el' with the sofa. Add an end table and lamp interior-end of the sofa. Keep furniture sizeable, but overall 'low' to emphasize the cathedral ceiling. (I'm trying to work with what you have; ideally I would bring in larger-scale sofa.)

Remove the distraction (carousel horse). Hang one larger picture over the mantel and more pictures (as shown in drawing above) on sides of the fireplace wall.

Now buyers will see the upscale, comfortable, elegant room they admire in magazines. They will love it -- and will turn it into their TV room with a ratty sectional when they move in! They will probably put a *giant* TV on the wall to the left of the fireplace -- or over it.

Edit: Now that I've looked at the link on staging tips, I'll amend this. The adviser says to make each room reflect its purpose. So...if this is the designated TV room, skip the picture over the fireplace. Hang a giant TV over the mantel. (Electronics stores have fake TV's if you don't want one for your new home.)

User thanked chisue
  • cupofkindnessgw
    8 years ago

Gorgeous room. However, I'd paint the room a neutral shade because it's a dated color. Being a dark color it's a big project to repaint and might deter a buyer. Most five BR homes will go to a family and they're still in a busy stage of life.

User thanked cupofkindnessgw
  • tete_a_tete
    8 years ago

(BTW, I agree that the carousel horse is distracting.)

• patty_cakes42
    8 years ago

I know I hate going into a house where everything is so completely contrieved. Going into a model home is one thing, but going into a home where you know people are presently living, and seeing it staged to the point where countertops are void of anything, seems just wrong. All in the name of selling.

User thanked patty_cakes42
  • l pinkmountain
    8 years ago

Don't paint, makes no sense. Painting while furniture is in there is a big pain, and the next owners might not even want or like the color. Best time to do it anyway is when you move out and before they move in. I am in search of a house right now, and wall paint color does not turn me off at all. It is understandable that the previous owners might have a particular color that I might not like. It would be another story if you had some busy wallpaper or textured wall covering (like was one with a sponge brush or something) that was going to be a pain to redo, so in that case, if your home is not selling, that could be the reason. De clutter of course, but don't need to obsess. I sold my home in ten days. It was clean and in good repair but I had tons of junk in the basement that I thought I would need to clear out before it sold. I just put it on the market to get going with the sale and was in the process of renting a pod to store all the basement junk. when boom, I was renting a pod to move all my stuff out of the house instead! Granted, the rest of the house was fairly decluttered. But many folks can look beyond something that is obviously going to go with the previous owner. In fact, most people who have enough money and are smart enough to buy a home will be able to do that. LR is nothing, a ratty bathroom that is overdue for a tear out, now that would be something!

User thanked l pinkmountain
  • Rudebekia
    8 years ago

I have several realtor friends who say that it is amazing how many people completely lack imagination. Due to the HGTV effect, they also want "move in ready." As someone stated above regional differences may come into play. After reading all the replies I still think painting the green a neutral would be a good thing. The green "reads" dated to me.

Still, it is your call completely. Who knows, finally, what will sell a house and/or how many other things you need to do to get the house on the market? It is, finally, a judgement call.

User thanked Rudebekia
  • sheesh
    8 years ago

This happened to my son saturday:

A week ago monday they listed their house. Vaulted two story ceilings in the family room and kitchen, painted deep colors, beautiful. Listing agent told them they HAD TO REPAINT or the house wouldn't sell. Too personal. The night they listed, agent brought a couple in to see the house in its pre-repainted state, before house went MLS. Couple Loved it but didn't say so. Son paid several thousand dollars for the neutral paint job which was amazingly completed in three days last week by pros the agent recommended. First couple to look at the house came back for a second look, prepared to make a full price offer, gasped in horror when they saw the neutral paint and said no deal! Can't afford to repaint it the way it was!

Save your money. I realize this is an odd occurrence, but it happened and my son's house is on the market. And frankly, I suspect the agent of bad things!

User thanked sheesh
  • l pinkmountain
    8 years ago

The point with paint is, pick your battles. Make sure the bathrooms and kitchens are completely up to snuff first, with a clean, well cared for look. Make sure the carpet isn't all ratty, and if it is, have cleaned and maybe get some judiciously placed area rugs. Entrances and exits, doors and windows looking in good repair, clean and fresh. Make sure the walls are in good repair. If you have all that, then repaint, sure. I'm not sure what percentage of people are discouraged by a bad paint job. Here's the deal though, I looked at a house that had been completely re-done, with the most outlandish and garish colors and finishes imaginable. The house was immaculate and maybe the owners loved it, but eeee gads it was so disharmonious to me and my SO that even though the price was right and the layout looked good, everything would have to be redone--paint, floors, surfaces . . . If your whole house is as assertive as the green color of your living room, then maybe yes, paint could make a huge difference. My SO detests green (I love it but that is one of the few areas we are not in agreement on) so he might immediately get a bad vibe with your living room. I love it.

• k9arlene
    8 years ago

Sheesh, I believe the couple just changed their minds and used the paint color as an excuse. If they loved the house, they would have bought it. I can't believe they're waiting to find a home that they love that has exactly the right paint colors as well.

• K Sissy
    8 years ago

Your furniture placement is fine, but you do need to paint a lighter neutral color, ex cream. Buyers will be turned off by the green and start subtracting $ from the price, seeing the room as one that needs work.

• awm03
    8 years ago

K Sissy, wouldn't most people look at a cream or neutral room and figure on repainting also? I don't want to live with someone else's colors neutral, colorful, or otherwise.

• K Sissy
    8 years ago

I do understand that, but a neutral would be something that they would think that they could live with for awhile, dark green is a different story. It looks beautiful to me, but, you are really limiting your pool of buyers, and you want your home to appeal to as many buyers as possible. A lighter color does that, and increases the chance of a faster sale for you.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    8 years ago

I am perplexed by the paint thing. It's not hard or particularly time consuming to paint a room.

• louislinus
    8 years ago

Leave the paint. Haven't read the other replies but here's what I'd do with the furniture.

Move the couch so that it is facing the window, lined up with the side of the fireplace. Move the two chairs next to each other and across from the couch.

• K Sissy
    8 years ago

You're correct, it's not hard, but a lot of buyers don't want to do it. So, just go ahead and make the house an easy decision for them. Don't give them reason to think that there's a lot of things that they have to do.

• User
    8 years ago

I think what bugs me the most, no area rug underneath grouping to look cohesive.