SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

Opinions Needed: Replacing Trane Forced Air 90% Furnace

User
8 years ago

We are finally replacing our 5 ton, 90% efficient Trane system that heats and cools a large part of the main floor in our house. It runs on propane in winter and is 25 years old. The heat exchanger is cracked and we have been advised not to simply replace it.

1. Is it ok to replace the heat exchanger without the rest of the system, considering the age of the other components?

We are looking for monthly cost savings also---our electric bill in summer is about $700 per month. The other HVAC system in our home is a 3 ton dual fuel heat pump that is mainly for one wing. Downstairs in the basement level we have a completely separate system, and we have three gas fireplaces, a gas oven and outdoor grill, and one of,our two 80 gal water heaters is gas. The propane bill is insane---it has almost tripled in the past ten years. We are located in rural Georgia. Our temps range from the 20s maybe once or twice a year but around 39-49 for lows in the winter to highs of 97 but around 88-93 in summer.

I am thinking that a heat pump would be a better option to replace the 5 ton Trane than a new forced air gas furnace that runs on propane. I have a programmable thermostat that is set for 70 degrees from 6 am to 9 am, 68 from 9 am to 5:30 pm, 69 from 5;30 to 11 pm and 68 degrees overnight, and we have a similar energy saving program for summer, so we are not wasting energy by any means.

The secondary main floor system is less than a year old. The area the Trane heats and cools is about 3500 square feet. In total, our heated and cooled space is 5600 square feet.

Would anyone recommend staying with the furnace, or is the current thought for changing over to a heat pump? We would invest in a geothermal system but are on a water table and cannot drill down or even horizontally deeper than a few feet. Our long term plan is to put a solar array on one aspect of our roof, and am I correct in thinking a heat pump would take more advantage that electricity than a furnace in winter? I know it would in summer.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, advice, help!

Comments (39)