SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lissyanna21

Late 1930's woodwork - refinish or replace?

lissyanna21
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I originally had every intent to refinish the unpainted wood trim and doors in my late 1930's home. The baseboards have both latex and oil paint drips from sloppy PO's over the years, many have been drilled, scratched, dried-out, are falling away from the plaster, etc. My plan was to remove the salvageable toe-kick/quarter-round (which I did before I refinished the original oak floors, which turned out beautiful by the way :) ), but slowly remove, strip, re-stain and replace the baseboards and doors (and then figure out what to do about the windows and door trim :) ). However, as I've been working around (and living in) the house and getting the less-cosmetic things updated, I'm wondering if it might just be better to replace all the trim? The doors are hollow-core (which, as I'm reading up on 1930's homes, apparently became more of a thing as the depression wore on and labor became cheaper but materials did not), and the baseboard just seems like a cheap, plastic-like wood (I'm honestly clueless about this, but just from the weight and feel of it, I'm not even sure it could really be stripped and re-stained?). If it's not solid wood or decent quality to begin with, would it just be better to skip some of the labor and invest in a higher quality wood now? I know it's sacrilegious to pull out some of the original features, but I feel like that maybe only holds true when the original work was of a decent quality?

Comments (11)