SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

Refinishing old furniture with fake wood trim?

Fori
14 years ago

Maybe this goes in the woodworking forum, but y'all here know everything!

I have a bedroom set my father bought me at a garage sale when I was in elementary school. I'm pretty sure it was cheap when it was new and the value has probably dropped. I like it; most people hate it. Anyway, it was old when I got it and it was abused a bit. (For example, I kept a mouse in a drawer for a while.)

Many moons ago when I was a kid I refinished the nightstand. Not a terrible job except that the thing has plastic trim and I didn't notice until some of it was stripped. I had to paint it back in.

I'm considering doing the whole set now, just to make it presentable. I'm not overly concerned with retaining value because I'm pretty sure it has none, except as furniture.

Are there any tricks for dealing with sticker wood? I think perhaps I don't even have to strip the pieces, but I would have to seal it somehow because I'd have to fill in some chunks of missing veneer. The "feet" will require some touchup stain as well, but they're solid wood. And poorly attached, and a different color, so they can be dealt with separately.

Here are a few closeups of the vanity--the "birch bark" is the plastic. Some of it is already a bit smeared. And it's quite dirty. I despise fake wood, but here I am trying to save my fake wood furniture!

Any recommendations (besides junk it)? Thanks!

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio