SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davelayoj

Ficus pruning, how to control direction of new growth

Dave
8 years ago

Al,

we spoke a little about pruning. I know ficus put out most of their new grow at the top and branch tips and you told me the top should be growing more light and airy.

I don't have any problem looking at the tree and seeing where I should prune, however, when I imagine what direction the new grow will continue in, that's where I have a tough time.

When I cut back to a smaller branch, instead of growing upright, now the branch will continue at a different angle. Do I just cut that new leader branch back as well so it'll shoot out growing upright?

here are some pics of what I've done. Any tips or comments? With the artificial lighting, I'm still getting a decent amount of new growth. Not was it was when outside, but it's definitely still growing.

I understand also how back budding works. How hard do I need to cut back to achieve this? I've left one main branch at full height as the leader, and I would like to still keep the current hight of the leader, if possible.

Again, what I'm mainly speaking of in the pics below is where I pruned the tree and how to correct the growth so it doesn't grow at a completely different angle.

thanks!

Comments (29)