SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swiss_chard_fanatic

So, am I nuts, or can this work?

swiss_chard_fanatic
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Before I plunge ahead with this, I want to know if I'm making a big mistake, or if this plan will be successful...

Behold, my massive container (hubby's handiwork and design):

This container is built on a 4'x10' pallet that can be lifted via forklift or tractor with forklift implement (which we have) on its 4' sides. Our plan is to treat this like a normal raised bed, except that it won't be in contact with the ground. Because it won't be in contact with the ground, it will not wick excess moisture out, and therefore our plants would die from damping off and fungal and other diseases. To prevent that, we are planning on installing at least 3 pipes, probably 6, and fill them with dirt, so that the ground can wick excess moisture out of the raised bed, as follows:

In this plan, a mesh netting would be installed on the bottom of the bed to hold in the dirt and allow for drainage (of course, however, there would still be the problem of perched water, and that's why the dirt filled pipes would be installed).

The other idea we had was for the pallet bed to be sitting just a little bit off the ground, with just one cinder block instead of two to lift it, and then we can fill in the void under the bed with dirt and that would negate the need for the pipes.

We are planning to use, by volume:

50% soil from our backyard, which is mostly clay
25% cow manure
10% perlite
15% crushed limestone

So the question is, will either of these two plans work? We want some cool weather veggies and I'm tired of seeing my spinach and chard dying to damping off, so we're really eager to get some results.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!