SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

My Christmas Deer Project: F-

User
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

So, a slow and rainy afternoon here, perfect for my bargain resin deer makeover. I had thought I could make this guy:

look a little more like this beautiful part of Allison's Christmas decor:

But, I didnt want want to paint it lighter and then glaze it darker, I wanted to leave it dark and put a lighter glaze on it. After a thread of very good advice, right down to pictures of what I should buy at a craft store, I worked on it today.

It looked worse than I could ever have imagined with that light glaze. The surface of this thing is scribed with shallow, fine lines that the paint filled up, even when using minimal paint. I wiped it off and then you could see the wipe marks of the sponge I was using. (Natural small sea sponge) a rag made it worse, so I rinsed it off and started over.

This time it took longer as I used practically no paint , but the greenish cast of the resin fought with each paint color I tried (I bought six shades of white/off white/ antique white, etc. all the way to a very light cafe au lait). So I rinsed again and this time the paint did not come off. So I used a toothbrush and some came off. Then I used Goof Off on the toothbrush and everything came off, even the original brown color, revealing a kind of light brownish / woody color underneath. So I scrubbed it all over and removed most of the paint, leaving a two tone-ish deer with really dark antlers. (I think they are made of something else.) here is the sad result:

A craftier, more artistic person could probably still make something of this even now. In my hands he is doomed with this chemically-induced miasma!

My lessons for today are:

1. Admire what you see but don't try to recreate it if your DIY skills are poor;

2. When you mess with a "resin" deer with chemicals it will reveal itself as the cheap plastic geegaw you knew it was when you bought it;

3. Be thankful this little episode of self-discovery came well in advance of actual Christmas decorating!

Comments (44)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz