SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peanut01_gw

My Brugmansia Project

peanut01
14 years ago

Hi all... I am new to Brugmansia and relatively new to this forum. I recently coerced a Nursery owner I know to offer me some of his Brugmansia cuttings from his yard down in FL. To be fair I offered to pay shipping and whatever he thought was a fair price. For $32 total I received 19 cuttings(I live in VA so I am positive I will have some to share if they grow too much and I have problems overwintering).

Here is a pic of my cuttings:

{{gwi:535714}}

I received:

3 x Temple Goddess

3 x Jean Pasko

3 x Versicolor Ecuador Pink

2 x Kell's Girlie Girl

2 x Versicolor Apricot

2 x Peaches N Cream

2 x F4 White hybrid (Frosty Pink x unknown)

{{gwi:535715}}

2 x His Pink insignia hybrid

{{gwi:535716}}

At this time I am attempting to root them all. I have them potted up in a homemade compost mix. I felt the need to give them extra support by way of a rubber band and some skewers.

Here is a pic of my Brugs attempting to root:

{{gwi:535717}}

Brugs seem a lot easier than Plumeria to root. I accidentally knocked one of my Brug cuttings over and already noticed roots forming. I think my cuttings seem to be going good. I only have a couple of questions at this time... How long will I be able to hold these cuttings in these little pots? I was hoping to overwinter them inside and hope for a little growth overwinter then plant them in the ground next year. Also I have one other Brug that I purchased earlier this year... I have a couple questions pertaining to it.

Here is a pic of a unknown yellow I picked up at a Farmer's Market:

{{gwi:535718}}

Is there any chance I will be able to get this Brug to bloom in VA before winter? Also I have not noticed much growth on it since I purchased it... Do Brugs not like being in pots? If I plant this guy in the ground now would I have enough growing time to get blooms if I wouldn't in the pot?

From what I have seen inthis forum everyone seems so nice. I am sure someone can answer my questions. Thanks in advance for any advice.

In closing I wanted to leave you with this shot I captured today:

{{gwi:535720}}

-David

Peanut01

Comments (29)

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

David what a great way to introduce yourself to us

WELCOME and I just know you fit right in.

Karyn will love you too lol

That was a GREAT *buy*!!! Usually when I root my cuttings....I use very small pots..so from my short brug experience....those pots should be all they need for this season. Am I right Pros?

Your yellow NOID looks like it has sub equal leaves...which mean it is ready to bloom. I must have come from a cutting above a Y at one time. Cause where I do see ...or seem to see a sub equal leave, I do not see a Y. I would feed it bloom booster fertilizer. If you are not doing it already.

Wish you luck with your cuttings and you are in the right place for all the questions you might come up with :-)

Lucy

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

David Holy smokes first off.. What a deal...I am so happy for you to get such a wonderful selection and cuttings...I will let someone down south answer your questions...Welcome and thank you for the nice comments about the brug forum... Welcome to the group! :) Your yard is wonderful with some great blooms blooming for you...Barb

• Related Discussions

I think I may have gotten Brugmansia sap in my eye.. what to do?

Q

Comments (14)
    Thanks to all who responded. Yes, my eye began slowly working it's way back to normal. After the first day, it had gone down to about half the size it was the night before, and was starting to show some response to light. By the second day, I was able to focus my eye again, and by the third, it seemed normal, if not still slightly sensitive to light. Those first 2 days I had to wear sunglasses even in the house because even the sunlight coming in the windows was painful. Definate lesson learned here, I think when working with these plants from now on, I will wear gardening gloves, as a precaution that I wont absently wipe or scratch my eyes, and be sure to wash thoughoughly upon coming back inside. Very scary indeed when you make a living as a freelance photographer and only have one good eye. (I was born with an abnormality of my left eye, looks perfectly normal but is basically just window dressing, can't do more than distinguish color and light with it) I couldn't imagine giving up our brugs, our yard is always vibrant with the colors of them, and on nights like last night, with literally thousands of open blooms, you realise why you do all that feeding and watering. We had a candlelight dinner and a movie on our lanai literally floating on clouds of the most wonderful perfume. Earlier in the evening just after dusk we were returning home with the windows open in the car and could literally smell our place before we arrived in front of the house. Appearantly the weather has just been on the perfect side for them this winter, as the trees are just bending under the weight of as many blossoms as they can possibly hold, with flushes coming one after the other. I haven't slowed my feeding scheduel yet, as it's been pretty much in the lower 80's still all the time, and have had to do quite a bit of pruning, both of side shoots and branches that are getting on the roof and in the gutters. So I should have plenty of cuttings if anybody wants them who didn't get some of the plants I had earlier, they went amazingley fast. Dave
    ...See More

Overwintering my brugmansia in zone 5

Q

Comments (4)
    I'm in zone 5, yes i do have a greenhouse but this is what I have noticed in the 5 or 6 years that I have grown them. by Oct. 15th i dig them up out of the ground ( they grow much better and bigger in the ground! ). I cut all the branches off so all that's left is the trunk maybe 2' tall. Knock off about half the dirtball then put it in a tub to hold the plant with some soil. The trunk will always back-bud, so by spring ( May 15th ) they will get planted back into the ground. Yes my greenhouse is barely heated, just so it doesn't drop below 38 degrees. I don't know how well storing them in a dark basement is but they love to grow. My burgs trunks are all about 3-5" across. I just cut my salmon colored burgs down, my yellow one blooms a little later. It's peaking in buds right now. All the burgs will get to be about 8-10' tall with a width of 6+ '. Want more cuttings in the spring for summer blooms, take loppers to any brnch and then shove it into the ground and keep moist for afew weeks then let it grow.
    ...See More

Adopted my first brugmansia

Q

Comments (3)
    I would leave it where it is, the light from the window will help keep fungal growth away which can be a big problem during the winter dormancy phase. Like dirtygardener73 said, just don't over water it and it should be fine. These plants tolerate a lot, I usually cut mine down and store them in my garage, which gets pretty cold, but not freezing, and they do just fine come spring time.
    ...See More

Something is attacking my Brugmansia ...

Q

Comments (0)
    A few weeks ago a couple of my Brugmansia plants started showing signs of pest attacks ... huge holes started appearing in the leaves and I suspected that something was eating them alive. After spraying a couple of times I discovered green caterpillars which I removed then a few days later I found pupating caterpillars which had started to spin cocoons and fix themselves to the underside of the leaves. So I stripped off all of the damaged leaves, leaving the stems looking rather lanky and bare. Anyway, new leaf growth has started to appear, but the remaining, what were healthy leaves have now started to show signs of attack even though I've been spraying with a good quality insecticide ! damaged leaves More ... and even more As we now live in Spain, I'm at a loss to know what to do to protect the plants and get them to flower again. Any input would be most helpful. Thanks
    ...See More
  • rosepedal
    14 years ago

Lucy we posted at the same time...:) Lol Karyn and David will hit it off...hahahah She is our plant specialty person david along with a few others...Welcome again

• haase
    14 years ago

Hello David. Beautiful pictures, and good luck.
    When I see your many cutting, and read your remark about the Brug Forum I must say you are correct, this forum is the right place for you. I am a newcomer to Brugs and these people have given me a wonderful welcome and are right there for me for any question I might have - even though (get this!) I only have one single 6ft. Brug, - I have never felt bypassed or that my questions were not important enough to answer. These people here are like a family to me, truly wonderful!!

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Hi David,

Glad to see you stopped by. BTW I love your gloriosa lily and P. caerulea.

You might have enough time to get blooms from your brug and the cuttings should have plenty of time to develop a good root system. You want to fertilize your plant weekly. I'd use a bloom booster, same one I use on my plumerias, along with a dose of Epsom Salts once a month. You can also give it micronutrients, kelp extract and foliar feedings every couple weeks. Brugs are the heaviest feeders I've seen. Once you see some new growthy on the cuttings I'd begin feeding them a diluted balanced fertilizer every week or two. You want to stop all feedings 3-4 weeks before they go dormant. In your area that will probably be sometime in Sept. You might not want the new cuttings to go dormant this winter. I have both in ground and container plants. Next season you can put them in the ground either sink a pot or right in. You might be able to leave them out year round in a protected area with a good mulching. I can't winter them over outside and I'm in 7a, Montgomery Co., MD but know some people in VA that have no problem. What part of VA are you in? They are lower maintenance and grow very well in ground. If you have to take them in it's not a problem to slice away most of the roots when you lift them as long as you prune the above ground growth.

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

see Karyn that is why we love and need you!!!

HUGS

Haase One is the same as 100...we love them all the same...one by one lol

Lucy

• peanut01
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much for the wonderful comments about my back yard. I think I was trying to get my daughter in the picture with the blooms but she just would of stole the show(not to mention she was trying to pick the zinnia).

Barb and Lucy:
    I was very happy to get this deal. I left it up to the seller to set a price and I was sure he would be fair. I kind of felt like I should of paid a little more. I would mention his Nursery in FL which specializes in Crinums(hehe) but I no that is a NO NO :-).

Haase:
    By the end of the season I will make sure that you have more than 1 Brug if you'd like. You are in the right climate to root these all year round. Then I could have you send a cutting back if any of my plants die :) I am sure there are plenty of folks here who would be happy to do the same. What type of Brug is your 6 footer?

oh la la Karyn, you have a wonderful reputation it seems and by the looks of your past posts I can see why. I am originally from MD but now live in Fredericksburg, VA which is about 1 hour south of DC along I-95. I will take your advice and feed my Brug some Bloom Booster. I will see if any of the greats stores around here have a selection which includes kelp extract. I dosed the plant with superthrive and the soil with the timed release MG fertilizer when I potted it up. I have not feed it too much since then(about 1 month ago). You mentioned a monthly dose of Epsom Salts... Would 1 cup be good for a watering or would I use less? I do not plan on letting my cuttings go dormant this winter. I will have them in the basement along with a grow light. My Plumies will be in there too. It would be funny if they grew so big that I couldn't get them out. I do not have bottom heat but I do have a wife who likes to crank the heat up to 80 occasionally.

The Gloriosa Lily is from a tuber that I found in a pot that I had in my garage the last 2 seasons. It was dormant and when I went to dump the old soil out of the pot I found 3 Gloriosa lily tubers. It goes to show that it is a good idea to look what you dump out of those old pots. My passi I brought in the garage last year. I know I can overwinter it here but it always would die back and come back from the roots never reaching a great size in one season. This year I suspect it is probably going to be about 30-40 foot when I unravel it and take it in.

I do not have that many great photographs but I did document a lot of the plants I added to my collection this year if any cares to see. I picked up 2 plants that I pictured in my album after viewing some of Karyn's pics in a past post.

Here is a picture of the Gloriosa Lily the year I grew it in my Bathroom of my townhouse with only 3 60 watt bulbs:
    {{gwi:535721}}

-David

Here is a link that might be useful: New additions plus some

• peanut01
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think the pic above may be upside down. It certainly makes me feel like I am. lol

-David

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

David there is not rule that says you can not mention a nursery or seller if you are not the one owning it or selling!!!

lol about the heat and your wife. It also reminded me of the huge candida double white that I hauled into the entrance way and we had to duck down to get in and out of the house. Thank Goodness we do not get many visitors and use the back door lol

oh boy is the Gloriosa Lily gorgeous!!! Spectacular!!Man I had to search in my little brain for a special word it is so amazing to me!

Now let me go look at your album...heck you should know already that we LOVE pictures!! ha ha ha

Lucy

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Lol David and Lucy... Love it! Your pics are amazing...Look at pic 19 Lucy... Hahhaha that is funny..David I bet your feet are cold...Where are my slippers?

David what is pic 55? The white one...I am in love..Your yard is wonderful and your growing skills are tops! yes you can on this site mention where you buy from...Welcome! I have cold toes now...lol

• peanut01
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lucy:

How did your house smell with the Candida double white in it? You probably could of used it as an Xmas tree that year. I brought my Hoya Lacunosa in overnight a couple weeks back. I woke up the next morning to the pleasant aroma of Lacunosa but then when I went down stairs I almost past out since the aroma was so thick in the air. I felt like I could literally cut through the air with a knife. Needless to say I don't think I will be bringing any super aromatic plants indoors when they are in bloom unless it is very subtle.

Of topic of Brugs Lucy... Since you live in TX do you grow Crinum Lilies? I always have my eyes open for new varieties and new individiuals to trade with :)

Thanks for the compliments regarding the Gloriosa Lily. You should see them growing in habitat or a large planting of them. Then they are really majestic. The are supposed to resemble Tiger's Claws :) Grrrrr...

-David

• karyn1
    14 years ago

That gloriosa lily has the coolest coloring. I've never seen one like that and your hoyas are gorgeous! What kind of billbergia is that? You can mention almost any nursey here. The one that's a no no is T** Tr******* and I'm not sure why. Actually pretty much anything goes here, not like the other forums.

• peanut01
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lol Barb... I have been experimenting a little with Hens and chicks these past few years. I have been growing them in different growing mediums and different types of containers.

How happy the Hens and chicks are in order of pot/medium:
    Happiest - Terra Cotta Pots
    2nd - Slipper
    3rd - Ground in Gravel
    4th - Ground in Soil
    5th - Glazed Ceramic Pots
    6th - Thin Plastic Pots
    7th - Thick Plastic Pots

I am not sure if I want to nail the slipper to a fence post or if I am going to attach the other slipper and hang them from a string. I have been trying to have some fun this year.

Picture 55 includes 5 unnamed cacti varieties. I actually picked them up from the big box store @ $3 a cactus then potted them up together. My mom calls the white cactus an Old Mans Beard. She said it will get super long spines. It is actually pretty soft and is one of my only cacti which hasn't hurt me this year. The Golden Barrel Cactus pierced my hands all over today. I am thinking I need to keep that one well out of the way of everyone since it is so dangerous.

-David

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

David I just enjoyed your album so much, I took my time. I wish I was a photobucket user and could have left comments...they would have been a LOT! Now because they were so many, I can not begin with comments, for I forgot ha ha ha

I did see however that you have a lot of plants I either have also or fell in love with. Lots I have seen I have no idea what they are. But it all looks GREAT!

Actually I had my first crinum lily bloom this year. Let me add that this is just my second year I have been gardening with my heart and soul, not just because I wanted to have some flowers grow where we used to live at any given time.

Friends have shared some with me and I will not know what they are until they bloom for me. Then if I am not mistaken, the seeds I brought back from Florida should be crinum lilies a white one and purple. But they also got mixed up with purple ones. You should know that me and names do not get along :-( Karyn always saves me or someone else jumps in. If I ever have anything that can be shared and you see it....all you need to do is say the word !!

ok I googled...the white one looks like it is called swamp lily...but I could not find anything that looks like the purple one I brought a plant home. So maybe it is not a crinum lily :-(

Actually I did dress up the Brug with x mas light ha ha ha

Lucy

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Oh Thank you David for the info! I will google old mans beard... I have been collecting a few this year..Newbie here... I found some drift wood (river) and use catus soil here...We have had such bad rains I keep them inside... I have two I love one is called chubby fingers and the other from a good friend here is dunce caps... I love the names they come up with (not hens and chicks) Low growing Sedums...

I grew some hens and chicks too... I have them in the yard more difficult to grow...Shade is a issue...Large trees growing..... It is fun to see what medium they will grow in...Your slippers made me smile and cracked me up..Barb

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Ps david I googled it and that is it..:) Thank you....

• peanut01
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The Gloriosa Lily is one I purchased from BulbsNMore Nursery. Nestor White is the owner and he specializes in Crinum Lilies. He has an amazing operation and he comes out with new varieties every year. He sells plants through ebay for years and has 100% positive feedback.

Here are a few pics of his Gloriosa Lilies and you will see that even though they are all the same variety subtle differences in color have appeared. I understand that these plants are also highly poisonous, so I no longer grow them in the bathroom.
    {{gwi:535722}}

and another:
    {{gwi:535723}}

Here is his fence line full of these...
    {{gwi:535724}}

I have been very forunate with my Hoyas. They all seem to be growing great. I do not feel like I know them very well yet but I am working on it. I will consider myself a "Hoya master" lol when I feel comfortable enough to root Hoyas like I do with Pothos and Philodendron... *pinch and stick* As well as get them to bloom at will. So far only 1 has bloomed and I have 4 others that have pedicules on them.

That Bilbergia was sold to me as Bromeliad Bilbergia Nutans - I think the name that a lot of people call it is Queen Ann Tears. Did you notice that I picked up 2 types of Madgascar Palm? They are not quite as big as yours but hopefully one day it will be.

-David

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

I am in love

• peanut01
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lucy, Barb, and Karyn:

Thanks so much for looking. It is nice that my plants are appreciated by someone other than myself :) My wife is not much of a plant person and my daughter doesn't like mosquito bites, picks the flowers, and always over waters. I thought I taught her better by her ripe age of 22 months. j/k I have been experimenting with mosquito repelant as well this year. Out of 3 chemical repellents and fabric softner sheets. Rubbing fabric softener on my daughter and tying it to her belt loop works best out of all of them.

I tried to look up Dunce Caps and found Chinese Dunce Cap... Is that the same plant? I have a couple cuttings of the Chubby Fingers sedum. I am not sure if it is hardy in VA. I received it in a trade with someone from AZ. I figured it either belonged in a desert or in a pot so I put them in a pot. I think they look very cool.

Lucy do you have any pics of the Xmas brug? If so then you should dig them out and post :)

I have not been fortunate enough to see a crinum lily bloom as of yet. I have about 40-60 of them but have never brought them to bloom. I understand they take awhile to establish and I pretty much bought all of my crinums this year. There is not a purple flowered crinum yet so if you have one then you should gather some seeds or propagate and stat :) But there are a few crinums with purple foliage. There is 'Sangria' which is supposed to be cold hardy for people in areas like Karyn and I but not you Barb, so you would have to stick to a greenhouse. The foliage on 'Sangria' flops down in the middle. There is also the purple erect foliage crinum which is more tropical and is some sort of Crinum Procerum(I plan on picking this one up soon).

-David

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

David rofl about your daughter. You can never start to early though!!!
    Funny you would ask about a x mas brug. Before I posted the thread I looked and looked in the online albums...but could not find it. Regretfully the originals died with the old computer a few month back when it got a virus and it was so bad that I had to buy a new Computer.

lol David...I guess the purple plant is not a crinum lilly then. I will ask my daughter if she can take a picture if they are still blooming. I know I will konw then what it is when I post it.

the 1st crinum Lily that bloomed we dug up from a lady who sold all her landscaping plants when she had to move. It was a total suprise because it was growing in between some tall growing plants. This same one has it's leave growing almost as tall as I am now...I can hardly believe that they grow so TALL!

I need to check your supplier out now

google here I come again.

Hey we now have 2 David's with young daughters :-)))) Our other David always shares his precious angel with us.

Lucy

• haase
    14 years ago

David, thought I sent a reply yesterday. Must have forgotten to push the "send" button.
    I have a Candida dbl. white - you probably already have one of those. I'ld be happy to trade and/or grow cuttings for you, but I only have a patio, no yard, not much room. Thanks for the offer. When the time comes, I would like to receive 2 or 3 different cuttings, no matter what it costs. Please keep me informed.
    (Ok, - now push "send!!!)

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting that lily.I have one of those,that we bought the bulbs at the county fair a few years ago and i lost the tag.Have been trying to find out it's name for a long time.Here's mine.
    Kathi

{{gwi:535725}}

{{gwi:535726}}

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

Hi David, your plants are stunning. Until I retired last year and moved back home to Texas, I lived in Manassas. Among the plants I imported to Texas when I moved were some Asiatic lillies. They bloomed this year, but were not as beautiful as they were in Virginia. I had not thought of Crinum lillies until you mentioned them. Looked them up and they are for Z8-11. Very beautiful too, so thanks for the mention.

• peanut01
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kathi- Your Gloriosa Lily is showing a lot of reds. Do you have it in a lower light situation? Mine gets full sun this year in the afternoon rather than the morning so that is why I think it is more close to the purple and yellow side.

Rock Oak Deer:
    Thanks for looking at my pics. Asiatics are great here in VA. The temps typically stay cool enough for some great long lasting blooms here. I was very surprised at how well Asiatics and Orientals grow in a shade garden. I have no direct light but it is still bright. I know they say on the box Full Sun but maybe in TX try indirect light only(you may already do that but I figured that I would suggest it). I think you would get the longest lasting blooms in that type of lighting condition.

Why I like Crinums... :-)
    They have a fragrance... some smell good but some smell great

They are super durable. I have yet to kill one and I think if you do kill one you are supposed to be embarassed and never mention it. lol

Most are rebloomers. Most bloom a couple times a season and some bloom several times(after heavy rains).

They are heirloom plants and more often than not they will live longer than the person who planted them.

I also find it interesting that these plants hybridize in the wild creating new interesting varieties, and new "old" varieties are being rediscovered.

I also like to push zone hardiness to the brink with the use of microclimates and other techniques, so these being Z8-11... I am right at home with these here in Z7. I am currently testing hardiness of different plants including crinums, palms, brugs, and others in Fredericksburg, VA.

--------------------------------------------------------

This is what I was planning on posting today... I have new leaf growth on 2 of my 3 F4 Whites and 1 of the Jean Pasko. The 2 P&C seem to be the ones that I am most worried about since I noticed a lot of people mention that this one is difficult and I have not noticed any progress yet. Some of the others do not seem to be forming leaves but are forming what looks like branching a super tiny leave(which the leaflets were there when I received the cuttings)

I am curious... Do any of the varieties that I received require to be Air Layered when rooting cuttings or the usual way should be fine.

Also to those of you that root your Brugs in water only... How often do you change the water?

Thanks again,
    David

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

David though I do not usually root brugs in water...it needs to be changed daily.

I like your points of WHY you love Crinums and they are surely on my list to get more of. When is the best time to do that David? Do they sell them more in the spring or fall?

When you see NEW leaf growth on a brug cutting...I believe it is a sure thing that they rooted. Hope a Pro will step in and help you out a bit better. Since I do not have P&C

Good luck

Lucy

• peanut01
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I followed everyones advice and all of the Brug cuttings are leafing up good. Some are a little slower than others and I do not seem to notice any variegation on the P&C leaflets. Maybe the variegation comes when the leaves are full sized. Maybe someone knows a thing or two about P&C variegation.

I now have my first bloom forming on my Noid Yellow Brug that I picked up this year. I will take a pic tonight when I get home of the unopened bud(only 1 at this time). Unfortunately I am going on a 10 day vacation so I do not think I will get to enjoy my first ever Brug in bloom. I think I would look a little wierd totting a 4ft tall Brug with me to the resort.

Lucy... Spring or Fall is a good time for crinums. The main key point being the fact that they are tough so they can handle being lifted in either of those seasons. For you in the south I would say the Fall would be the best time since the bulbs can start establishing themselves and there would be a good chance you could get blooms as early as next year depending on bulb size.

Pictures will follow.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

For reasons unknown to me sometimes variegated cuttings will lose their variegation. I received several P&C cuttings a few yeras ago. All had at least some foliage when I received them and it was all variegated. When they began growing new leaves a couple came in solid green and stayed that way.

• daniellalell
    14 years ago

Sounds like things are lookin good.

yeah, I had three Maya cuttings..only 1 has var leaves. Sometimes, it happens..

• tilly_2008
    14 years ago

So pretty :)