SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drgsinha

Save our souls please.....

Sinha
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I have a confession to make and a hundred apologies to my adeniums.

Today I pulled out one of my adeniums which was looking a bit dessicated in the stem region, though it had put out new leaves a month ago. The soil was dry and the trunk shrivelled up.but the liquid fertilizer I fed them about a fortnight earlier I suspect had made it put new leaves.

All the stones in my media...for goodness sakes, what was I doing?? No new roots to speak of...nothing like what Jericson puts out pics of.Well I had had enough of rocky soil...so to speak of...if all it did was not let the poor plant put out roots.

I had to rescue it come what may...and I had to rescue my 9 others which were alive but not at all happy..and kinda shrivelling up one..being in my south balcony in constant delhi heat and the stones must have made the temp around the plant even higher...I guess. The rescue was swift, with all materials at hand...I unpotted each one and replanted them back in coco coir + manure mix with broken pot pieces at the bottom for air circulation. If the baby seedlings are happy in that medium...no reason why grown plants will not be...compressible /non compressible media ...we will see once they put out roots..no roots can form in rock so far as I can see ...it must have been sheer torture for these plants right through summer I guess and this white one was as if saying to me"mama rescue me please from these stones".A lot of rooting powder I had applied also came out with the roots: no effect at all on the roots..no growth of roots..they were basically just surviving in that concrete medium.

I have repotted them now...took a whole afternoon to do it but I had to and kept them in shade for a day ..tomorrow ...onwards full sun in the same balcony and I plan to water them once a week only since its coco coir or even lesser depending on how they fare...wish me luck please....

Comments (7)