SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shemmy98

Shade Lawn Advice - Phase 3 - Hail Mary or Throw in the towel?

shemmy98
8 years ago

(SE Pa, NE of Philly)So here is a picture of my most failed area on 9/22, 15 days post seeding.

Which in fact doesn't look that bad at 15 days, but then fast forward to 1 month post seeding...
Leaves are mostly from the wet/windy weather we've had the last few days. I'm going to mow/blow the area tomorrow after another day of drying. It's pretty much barely any sprouts, and any that are there are plastered firmly flat to the ground.
Here is a close up.

My continued problem is the seedlings don't root. They sprout and then are eventually washed away. I did a shampoo treatment September 1st and September 27th. Seems to be helping with soil firmness, but I still can't get much to take hold past the top 1/4-1/2 inch of the soil in most places.

I seeded with a Chewings, Creeping Red, and Rough BG mix, and layered a 1/8-1/4 inch of peat moss on top. Most of the area shown was covered in burlap 1 day after in anticipation of thunderstorms (which came and went). Burlap was removed 10 days post seeding.

So my question is this. Do I even bother doing one last hail mary seeding? I know most of the rough BG won't have time to sprout, but at this point I'm just looking for anything to come up to try to hold on to the soil over the winter.

Seed the area in the picture, cover with bagged compost from HD (can't get stuff delivered in time and have time to spread)? Seed and cover with peat (cheaper per coverage)? Mix seed with bagged topsoil and spread thin?

How about one of those methods and cover with a 20'x50' growth blanket for the winter? I'm already going to have to avoid the area over the winter most likely anyway, so leaving that down isn't a problem.

The area is very shady, so I could reasonably try a spring try at reno, knowing I will have to water more, but the shade will keep things from burning out too much.

Please any thoughts appreciated.

Comments (19)