SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
isherwood777

sensitive skin again

Pat Z5or6 SEMich
8 years ago

I have a question I'm busting to ask here and I asked this same question here several years ago. I'm trying to see if maybe my skin is sensitive to my bath bar soap rather than my laundry detergent. I'm asking you what your favorite bath soap is.

Cavimum liked Cetaphil bar those years ago but the smell is offensive to me and it makes me itch. The derm I saw last week recommended Dove soap and it's okay but I think I like Vanicream bar better. Besides she's also the one who recommend powdered laundry detergent and I've had less skin problem with liquid All Free Clear. I've decided derms that look like they're 16 years old don't know anything yet.

Even tho' I'm 74, I perspire a lot and have some oily, some dry skin. I know that in the summer I really like Dial White (not White Tea) but it's supposed to be a no-no for fat old people.

Please tell me if you have a favorite bar soap for face and shower.

Comments (70)

• poppy214
    8 years ago

I think it was Donna 37 with the African black soap. I have a really weird allergy so can't use palm, coconut, or olive oil like most people and cocoa is iffy. If you can use it. ENJOY.

• Cavimum
    8 years ago

I never knew CeraVe makes a bar soap! Will have to try that!

I've used Cetaphil bar soap for the past several years, BUT ... the past few winters I had to stop and instead use Vanicream bar soap. After reading all the posts on another thread, where bath products were discussed, I bought some Dove bar soap and a couple of body washes to try after surfing around the reviews at paulaschoice.com: Aveeno Baby Cleansing Therapy Moisturizing Wash and also Neutrogena Ultra Gentle Daily Cleanser (foaming formula). Once the heat comes on in the house, my ancient skin goes really dry. The Cetaphil bar soap might be history in our house after all these new products. LOL

Another thing to consider is a chlorine filter on the shower head. They really do help and are not very expensive.

Pat Z5or6 SEMich thanked Cavimum
  • Related Discussions

Inexpensive facial exfoliator sensitive skin

Q

Comments (10)
    sensitive skin needs to be really careful about such things - some folks are sensitive to abrasion, and do better with exzymatic exfoliation. some folks are chemically sensitive, and some folks are both... the gentlest thing you can use to loosen dead skin cells is plain yogurt and oatmeal (you can run it through the blender dry, or the coffee grinder to make the particles finer) - berries and pineapple are a bit stronger, and contain those 'fruit acids' people talk about...pineapple has enough of it that, raw, it will keep jello from setting. the strongest natural ones are mango and payaya - papain is a powerful 'debriding' enzyme, and is too strong for my face all by itself, I blend it with yogurt - but it does wonders on my elbows! plain asprin is basically saliclic acid and baking soda, and a few drops of water makes one into a tiny little puddle of masque. stronger than that is the shampoo for psoriasis, which can be up to 3%... which is somewhere between the .5% of most face washes, and the 15% of a BHA peel.
    ...See More

mascara for sensitive skin

Q

Comments (9)
    Patser, if your skin is like mine, you might just save yourself lots of money and grief, and stop using eye make-up. I too started getting allergic reactions after using eye make-up for many years. I could not see myself without eye make-up and so had allergy tests done and they said it was the black (charcoal) that I was allergic to. I switch to brown, same problem. I tried Clinique, Physician's Formula and others that all claimed to be hypo-allergenic, same problem. One honest person told me that there was no such thing as hypo-allergenic stuff because there would always be someone who would be allergic to an ingredient, whether it was natural (like fruit) or chemical. I went into work one day with no eye make-up feeling so self-conscious and told whomever I encountered, "o.k., what do you think"? They didn't know what I was talking about. I really wish you good luck and hope you either find that one make-up that will be right for you or you just give it up.
    ...See More

GREAT Fabric Softener for Sensitive skin and noses

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi Larsi! Actually its called Peach and Lemon Blossom. I have seen it on Miele retailer websites. I believe I got mine from the Persil detergent vendor: Better Products On-Line. @Livebetter: I, like you, am always tempted by differing laundry products. Rock Solid, I love Persil Megapearls. I was not overwhelmed by the smell and no adverse skin reactions. I have not tried the liquid or other powders. I was very pleased with the cleaning results. Price is the only issue for me. Wish I could find something cheaper that worked as well, but I haven't. Miele detergent products are almost identical in price to Persil, just easier to get (for me). Kinda like the folks on the kitchen forum who are obsessed with OTK (One True Kitchen), we are the OTD (One True Detergent), LOL!
    ...See More

Detergent for darks for sensitive skin??

Q

Comments (15)
    The Persil for Sensitive skin is now heavily scented. It used to be my go to but all Persil (Euro Persil made by Henkels in Germany), not have extreme scents in them. I will pick up a box of Miele Sensitive to see if it is still unscented. I can't understand why a sensitive product should have scent in it at all. Henkels Black magic was my go to for a long time and I just ran out of the old formula. I can't even have the formula in my home, it is that heavily scented. I will pick up a bottle of Common Good unscented detergent to see if sudsing is an issue with that brand in my Mieles. Good luck!
    ...See More
  • sandy1616
    8 years ago

Have you tried using real soap without added synthetic fragrances? I have no problem with laundry products but most commercial bar soaps make me itch. I'd be happy to send you a bar to try or try looking for a handcrafted soap with essential oils no synthetic fragrances. Soap is fat, lye and liquid. Big difference between soap and the engineered bars.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Yep chemical fragrance is a big culpret with skin issues...pure essential oils are all plant based and unless you have an allergy to that plant..roses, lavender, ect..ect..at least the fragerance part shouldn't bother you.

• larsi_gw
    8 years ago

Pat....How did the Original white Dove Beauty Bar and Lubriderm Daily Moisture work for you? I swear by them!

• sparky823
    8 years ago

Lars, I like the Lubriderm fragrance free. I just can't stand some of those smells that the lotions have and also deodorants. I used unscented deodorant for years--Sure brand. It must have changed cause all at once I had a terrible rash under my arms. I used corn starch for 3 weeks before it got well enough to use deo again. I have used the Dove too same one you had. Just a clean scent that dont knock you out when you get hot/sweaty.

• larsi_gw
    8 years ago

sparky....Yes, so many lotions and body creams have horrible scents. So artificial, strong, sickly sweet!

Honestly though, the Lubriderm Daily Moisture smells SO clean and light. I have never liked a lotion more. Try it....smells and feels amazing!!!

• lapsangtea
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Yes to the CeraVe recs. Also important as posted above, no long hot showers. CeraVe products have ceramides and hyaluronic acid both which help the skin barrier function. Their thick cream right after bathing is only thing that helped my dd's eczema when she had it severely; after much experimenting and research, I like all their products now as I think the ceramides and hyaluronic acid help more than just barrier creams alone.http://cerave.ca/FAQRetrieve.aspx?ID=52014

I would rec try cleansing with their moisturizing wash (they call it hydrating cleanser) , also be careful of the shampoos you use, as that can also be an irritant:

http://cerave.ca/our-products/cleansers/hydrating-cleanser

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

I love Lub lotion, my skin is dry, and winter time is even worse when the heat comes on, I like to put it on after a shower while I'm wet, wait a few seconds and dry off, seems counter productive but the purpose is to trap moisture under the skin..this method works great for me.

• aa62579
    8 years ago

Question to all of you that use bar soaps - how do you store them after they've been used? I am about the opposite from a neat freak, and yet this is one of the things that grosses me out (a soap dish). I know they make pouches.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

These little soap dish inserts are slightly elevated so the soap isn't sitting directly in the dish and allows for air circulation so the soap dries and doesn't turn into a mushy mess.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

I of course used new bars for photo purposes..lol

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

When its tub cleaning day that's when I wash the soap dishes and inserts, so much less mess with the inserts..they sell them at dollar tree

• Ioana Neg
    8 years ago

I have dermatitis so to say I have sensitive skin is an understatement. I used to wash my face with handmade olive oil soaps, but they weren't soapy enough, which is something I look for in washing products. So, yes, I turned to Dove, they're the best. Lotions, soaps, deo, everything. My skin is super happy and so am I. Give them a try, maybe

• sandy1616
    8 years ago

loana - pure olive oil soap has almost no lather. It's slimy.

• sandy1616
    8 years ago

Hit send too fast. I store my soap on top of a toothbrush holder with removable top. Soap dries out between showers, slime goes into the cup and the cup goes into the dishwasher between bars after a rinse.

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    Original Author
    8 years ago

You were all so kind to respond to this post and I just want to let you know what I decided and maybe respond to your comments.

Larsi, I hope you will not be offended, but the DOVE WHITE BEAUTY BAR fragrance is too much for my old nose. I bot 6 of the bars and while I will re-try one again in the dead of winter, right now I prefer my KIRK'S CASTILE and DOVE UNSCENTED bars. Same with the LUBRIDERM DAILY MOISTURE NORMAL TO DRY lotion -- just cannot like the scent and results as much as I love my CeraVE MOISTURE LOTION. Have not found the CeraVE bar soap yet but so glad beagle mentioned it and hope it has very little scent. Will also try the African black soap soon.

Thank you everyone. To be honest, I think my itches have as much to do with the amount of carbohydrates I eat than just the laundry soap or bath soap I use. I keep forgetting I am diabetic and want to blame anything but my carb addiction.

• clean_and_bright
    8 years ago

@Pat, do you have eczema? Have you ever tried bleach baths?

I have dry and very sensitive skin at times. I take a daily antihistamine which helps more than anything, I think. I also use CeraVe PM on my face and love it--CeraVe makes some of the only products that do not make my skin burn. I use Aveeno daily moisturizing body wash, which I find mildly scented and moisturizing.

Pat Z5or6 SEMich thanked clean_and_bright
  • beaglenc
    8 years ago

Pat I found the CeraVe bar at Walmart. Have not looked at Target as I seldom go there, It's closer to go to Walmart. And it is unscented or VERY LITTLE scent.

Pat Z5or6 SEMich thanked beaglenc
  • Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    Original Author
    8 years ago

clean and bright, what antihistamine do you take? Claritin does nothing for me. Do you like Zrytec?

• clean_and_bright
    8 years ago

Yes, I have been taking Zyrtec and I prefer it over Claritin and Allegra. I get the generic from Costco which lasts for a year and is significantly less expensive than brand name. I take it before bed in case it makes me a little sleepy. It takes a while to work (generally I think about 2 weeks to notice full effectiveness). When my skin was pretty bad (itchy, red, burned), I took both Claritin and Zyrtec daily for two weeks. My immune system needed that extra help to stop over-reacting. Then I was able to stop the claritin and now I just take Zyrtec daily. If I stop it, after a week or so I will get red itchy patches on my certain areas of my skin for no apparent reason. I agree, Claritin is not as effective for me.

Pat Z5or6 SEMich thanked clean_and_bright
  • mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Pat, so you tried Kirks...doesn't it have such a mild clean scent..and mounds and mounds of creamy suds..I live it.

• Cavimum
    8 years ago

I used to use Kirk's ages ago, and I cannot remember why I went off it. I think it dried my skin out as I got older. Same reason I gave up Ivory.

I remember calling them to ask the difference between Kirk's and Ivory. The answer was that one used plant fats and the other used animal fats (tallowate).

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    Original Author
    8 years ago

mamap, I've been using Kirk's for some time now, but like Cavimum above, it is a bit drying and sometimes I'm too lazy to put lotion on when I just want to drop into bed. My podiatrist just told me yesterday that my feet were too dry for a diabetic and to try Ivory. Really? Talk about a fragrance that will knock me out . . . . . . . Ivory?

Can't wait to find the CeraVE bar soap. I do like the cleansing lotion, laps, on my face in the winter.

• sparky823
    8 years ago

Have you tried the lotion made for diabetic skin? I forget who makes it but see it on TV ads.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

CRap..I just got home from walmart and forgot to look for CeraVE bars..well I will runin tomorrow, if you folks think I like laundry detergent you should see my bar soaps haha..Pat, have you ever looked at the bar soaps at TJ Maxx? They sell tons of them, many imported from other countries, triple milled, and many are highly moisturizing.Some range from heavy scents to light to scent free. They have a goats milk one that is very lightly scented and has such creamy texture its so nice.

Pat Z5or6 SEMich thanked mamapinky0
  • Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    Original Author
    8 years ago

spark, I tried the lotion you are referring to. Any lotion other than CeraVE makes me itch or is too greasy and doesn't have ceramides and hyaluronic (sp) acid. Every now and then I think I need something new or something with fragrance so I pick something from Paula Begoun's favorites and and every time I try something new I always go back to CeraVE (I capitalize VE because I don't want anyone to confuse this with Cetaphil). Wish I got paid for my endorsements. Hope they make a shampoo soon instead of pushing the Free and Clear item.

• duluthinbloomz4
    8 years ago

Probably thinking of the Gold Bond line. I'm one of those fortunate (?) people who just has dry skin - worse in winter when our humidity drops off the chart. No contact dermatitis or sensitivities to anything. I do like the Gold Bond Eczema cream - no more flakey legs snowflaking a pair of dark socks.

Pat Z5or6 SEMich thanked duluthinbloomz4
  • mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Speaking of dry skin I do have some problematic dry spots in the winter, but omg this is so imbarrassing, but I have very very bad dry itchy skin on my.......

Elbows. Haha what did you think I was gonna say hehe...joking aside my elbows are always so dry and itchy and very painful. The doc said to use eucerin but that's done nothing. Than sometimes it gets so bad probably from scratching, and lord I try not to, but than I get cellulitis infections in them and let me tell you thats painful. The infection Is caused from scratching, it tears the skin and allows bacteria in. does anyone else get this on their elbows? I never had this until after menopause (I was 37 when it started and post when I was 40lol) menopause sure dries you up like a dried out old shriveled saggy prune lol. And I do mean saggy...I can get a mamagram and a pedicure at the same time.

• PRO
    MDLN
    8 years ago

Years ago a patient gave me this in a holiday gift basket. Despite my distress she noticed my hands were dry (hopefully realized it was from washing with harsh hospital soap between patients), It has become my favorite winter hand cream. A little goes a long way. There are several formulations, but I think this one - sold in the white box is the best.

Pat Z5or6 SEMich thanked MDLN
  • parker25mv
    8 years ago

I get a skin rash from common laundry detergents that contain artificial fragrance. I switched to "natural" detergent but discovered I am also sensitive to detergents scented with lavender oil. My skin breaks out into little bumps just a few minutes after I put fresh clothes on that were washed with the detergent.

I have never had any problems with natural soap (a bar of glycerin soap is not expensive), but regular soap from the supermarket often causes my skin to feel itchy.

• Jean
    8 years ago

mama have you ever tried coconut oil-my elbows hurt so much in the winter and it hurts to wear anything against it. The coconut oil was suggested by my Mama and it works so well!

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Hi Jean, yes I have tried coconut oil, no luck, but speaking of coconut, lol..sometimes as a special treat I buy a fresh coconut and make homemade coconut milk, my daughter loves it as a hair conditioner in the winter when her hair gets a bit dry.it only keeps a few days in the frig which is a bummer, we refrigrate the milk overnite than in the morning it will have seperated, the coconut oil will be on the top, we scrape it out and she shampoos, than applys the coconut oil to her hair and wraps it up a few hours than rinse rinse rinse and a lite shampoo again..heavenly soft hair.than the boys drink the coconut milk that's left on the bottom from the seperation lol. But its a ton of work.

• Laundry Mich
    8 years ago

I'll mention this quickly. Zrytec & Claritin are okay. But the REAL... super magic, is Flonase. Oh My God... I can't even begin, to talk about how amazing this stuff is, for my allergies. I've been taking the prescription one.. for years, but now, they have the prescription-strength over the counter.

Give it a try, if you haven't already. If you like it, get your doctor to write you a prescription. I get it for a $0 Copay with BCBS, but even if I didn't.. I bet it's still cheaper with insurance.

• Donna-37
    8 years ago

I get very dry elbows too and Emu oil has worked wonders on it!

• PRO
    MDLN
    8 years ago

@ laundry, Flonase and Claritin/Zyrtec are completely different drugs. Flonase is a steroid, Claritin/Zyrtec are antihistamines.

Pat Z5or6 SEMich thanked MDLN
  • Laundry Mich
    8 years ago

@mdln.. All I know, is it works. I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. But I'd encourage everyone, to try it. It might be a steroid of some kind... but I don't think it's going to cause anyone any harm.

Obviously, you should do research before taking any medication... but, Nothing has ever helped me more than Flonase. I feel like Allergies, don't even exist on it. It's wonderful. No weird side effects, and no.. tiredness or fatigue. Wonderful stuff.

https://www.flonase.com/news/flonase/is-flonase-a-nasal-steroid-spray/

• PRO
    MDLN
    8 years ago

@ laundry, you may want to reconsider gviving medical advice without a license, it is considered a criminal act. Flonase is a steroid and it can cause cataracts, glaucoma, adrenal and immunosuppression. While it is a great drug, NOT "everyone" should try it.

• duluthinbloomz4
    8 years ago

Mdln IS a physician. No?

• Laundry Mich
    8 years ago

Umm... I can't even tell if your trying to troll, or you're actually serious.

I wasn't telling anyone to go out, and try some SCH II Narcotic like Adderall or Oxycontin... I was telling someone about a allergy medication, that's been freely available over the counter, for almost three years now.

I actually was prescribed Allegra (when I was 6)... and took it for almost two years, before my pediatrician, decided to try me on Flonase. I can't say anything has ever worked better for my allergies. It doesn't have any weird side effects, and I tend to get side effects from almost anything I take.. so, I should know a thing or two.

I only brought it up. Because it's Over The Counter. Over the Counter means, it's freely available. Our FDA.. has a LOT of oversight into anything, that's being openly available for purchase. More so... then any prescription medication.

I think it's also worth mentioning... that the same ingredients, in the medication.. can be found in OTC Nasal Sprays, in places like the UK & DE. And Europe.. I think we can all agree, has even more oversight into medications then the US.

I think I can clearly say with a straight face, I don't think someone is going to hurt themselves, managing their allergies with this Medication. I only brought it up.. because I thought it was actually worth mentioning.

• Laundry Mich
    8 years ago

@MDLN. While we're at it. How can you explain to me... the nurse lines, offered by Health Insurance companies now. They offer 24/7 Medical Advice. However... their staffed by Nurses, in Nursing School with no license whatsoever.

Are they going to be imprisoned too? Such a shame. And they had such a bright future too.

• anoop
    8 years ago

I have tried so many soaps, but settled on Sappo Hill.

http://www.sappohill.com/group.asp?grp=107

It's available at many Whole Foods stores and food coops.

My favorites are the sandalwood and unscented ones.

Pat Z5or6 SEMich thanked anoop
  • amg765
    8 years ago

@Mitch - you don't seem to have realized that the other people on this thread are talking about skin related allergy symptoms. That's NOT something an inhaled steroid like Flonase is likely to help. So jumping in like that shows you have no idea what you are talking about.

Inhaled steroids are actually not safe for a lot of people, OTC or not. Making a blanket statement that they aren't going to hurt anyone after mdlin listed off only some of the issues is pretty arrogant.

In Europe the drug regulations are different, but they aren't really stricter. In France, for example, you can get all sorts of things from a pharmacist that are Rx only in the US.

Also, those nurses working advice lines - they have licenses. They are also mostly working off scripts to help you figure out whether you need to see a doctor or go to the ER. I can guarantee they aren't randomly telling people to use OTC Flonase.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Since I was in Target today ( my walmart doesn't carry jack crap) I bought the CeraVe moisturizing cream for my elbows and for Amiee, course I could hardly wait to get home to wsdh my hands so I could use it, and I think its working already maybe wishful thinking but I do think its working. I really like creams rather than lotion. I will update you after a few days..Amiee likes how it goes on and that its perfume free. She has some dry spots on her lower legs above the ankle, where she's probably getting another leg ulcer, and is hoping this will help, I don't think it will make any difference since her ulcers are caused from circulation..but well see.

• anoop
    8 years ago

I have been using holistic medicine to deal with rashes that were erupting on my legs and other areas. Apparently, this is a symptom of an overworked liver. The rashes are what got me seeking out natural soaps and detergents, but ultimately, I was able to control it only after taking some herbs.

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    Original Author
    6 years ago

mama and others, I know this is old, but i hope you tried the CeraVe Healing Ointment also. May need to wrap the area because the Ointment is so greasy, but, oh, the healing begin.

Also, any cream is better than any lotion. Lotions have alcohol to make them thinner. Creams usually do not. There's CeraVe, Cetaphil, Aveeno creams and more, I'm sure.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Pat I only have the CeraVe moisturizing cream..I don't have the healing ointment. I have been thinking abiut it though for my dry cracked heels. I had two very tiny samples of Aquaphor healing ointment that I've been using the past three nights. I smear it on my heels and wear old socks that I cut the toes out of I can't sleep with my toes covered...anyway this stuff is working so I figure an ointment instead of cream is what I need. I suppose I'll try the CeraVe ointment lol. I'm really happy hubs saved all of his old white cotton socks with holes thru the years because I'm not washing them lol...its wear and toss. Haha

I bought a pumice stone today and ill soak later and scrub with it than apply ointment. Pat my mother swore by ointments instead of creams or lotion and if she ran out she used vaseline. Her skin including elbows, knees, and feet were as smooth as a child's when she passed at 73. Same with her sisters they all had beautiful skin.

Someone told me to try Corn Huskers but though I've seen it in stores I haven't a clue what it is.

Oh and while I'm here I mentioned Aldi night face cream in one of these posts..Lacura...well its all I've used besides Dove on my face for two weeks and I have developed 5 sores on my face...they are healing fine but it had to have been a reaction to the Lacura. I tossed it.

• sparky823
    6 years ago

Corn Huskers is a lotion that has been on the market for years. I have not used any in a very long time.