SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_nj

Siding replacement, insulated vinyl or hardie-type

jerry_nj
8 years ago

One approach I am considering, getting bids on, is to replace some outside cedar clapboard siding with Hardie plank and repairing trim around the house (likely applying a cover-over, same as done for vinyl siding). This would greatly reduce the amount of siding (match color all around and give the same reveal width) to my South wall while maintaining my existing and in good shape cedar siding elsewhere.

In discussion with one contractor he informed me of the advantages of a newer (guess the last 20 years) insulated vinyl siding. The advantages, including appearance over uninsulated siding siding, and techinical stuff like a uniform increase in the R value of exterior walls makes me rethink and consider using the insulated vinyl siding for the whole house.

One unknown beyond what the contractor tells me, how good is insulated vinyl siding.. is it a great improvement over uninsulated? Here I am mostly concerned as to the look and feel of it siding when the house is put up for sale. Hard board (Hardie) siding has the firm solid feel, uninsulated vinyl has the "skin over, cover up" feel when pushe do.

Simple question I may not have made clear:

What is the experience on using insulated vinyl siding to upgrade, not cover-up, the exterior of a 30 year old custom built house. House is on a large property with no houses sitting next to it.

Comments (12)