SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texas_gem

OT: how old are you?

Texas_Gem
8 years ago

I gradually ventured here from the kitchens forum when it was the middle of summer and it seemed to be particularly slow/dead.

I've greatly enjoyed all the conversation and choice of topics I've experienced since joining the table, but I also frequently feel like an outsider sitting at the "grown ups table" if that makes sense.

I'm just wondering what life stage the rest of you are at?

Don't get me wrong, age is not necessarily a determining factor in wisdom/experience BUT, one can't ignore reality.

Someone raised in the 60s is generally going to have a vastly different outlook than someone raised in the 90s.

To start out, I'm an (almost) 32 year old woman, my own parents are younger (not even 60 yet) than what I gather many of you are.

Thank goodness my grandmother is not alive to chastize me!!

She told me it was rude to ask someone their age (if she was correct and I've offended you, I'm sorry!!) In keeping with her wishes, her obituary didn't even list her age.

I didn't find out how old my OWN grandmother was until at least a year after she passed and I was able to view her death certificate.

So, how about you?

If you don't want to/can't share the truth here, have you at least shared it with a trusted family member?

For me, I can't fathom holding back such vitally important/basic information from my progeny.

It wasn't until she died that I learned I should watch for/be proactive about both breast cancer AND multiple myeloma.

To me, this sort of information transcends pride and secrecy. Honestly, how could you NOT tell your children or grandchildren that they are at risk.

So, who are you? How old are you? Have you openly shared your medical history with your family yet?

If you haven't, why not?

Don't they deserve to know?

Comments (56)

• eld6161
    8 years ago

Texas, you are right. I was surprised to learn that the average age here would be women in their 60's. I am 61, married with one daughter back at home.

I work part-time for a market research company. I was a social worker before children. This job came along and it's fun. I work with a nice group of women, and since it is part-time, it's not every day.

I also frequent the Decorating Forum and it's conversation side. There too, there are many older women, 50's and above.

Unless someone posts something specific, like a medical problem, or retirement etc. it never occurred to me to think of the age of a person who has posted. Many issues are universal and transcend age.

Texas_Gem thanked eld6161
  • User
    8 years ago

My 69th year coming right up! I live on an acreage with multiple animals. I quilt for the church and do pet boarding in my home. I prefer the company of animals to humans so I'm quite content to stay home. I spent too many years working 16 hour days and my reward is to not leave home. I have two adult children and two granddaughters. I've been divorced for over 40 years. Life is good.

Texas_Gem thanked User
  • Related Discussions

Slightly OT - Do I save the brick from old chimney for projects?

Q

Comments (34)
    Thanks again, everyone -- especially for your ideas on how to clean the bricks! Here's what was left of the house during the last stages of demolition this weekend: ... and then the chimney came down! Now I have a nice pile of bricks to show for it... you should have seen me digging through the debris to salvage the good ones... everyone else thought I was nuts, so they only "helped" while I was looking! I had to leave with the kiddos for a few hours, and when I came back, a bunch had been thrown in the junk pile. Good thing the dumpster was full, so I could still pick them out of the junk heap before they get put into a new dumpster! There's still a lot of sections of brick left that didn't break apart -- too bad they're too heavy for me to manage (10 or 12 or more bricks still mortared together). Anyway, just wanted to keep you posted. On a side note, I noticed this flowering shrub at the demolition site (our new property) -- can you tell me what it is? So pretty! I get so excited when I see hope of new life at our to-be home! bloomin...
    ...See More

Slightly OT: How often do you wash sheets?

Q

Comments (82)
    I'm an infrequent visitor to this board after my project was mostly completed over a year ago, but I do love lurking and looking at pics of gorgeous homes, etc. Anyway, this was a very interesting read with my morning tea. I had no idea! My sheets are washed weekly (though the exact day may vary). They are washed and immediately go back on the bed (king-size--HATE to fold). I wash the mattress pad when I think of it (it's so thick, it has to go to a laundromat, so it's not often) and the duvet cover gets washed 2x year. Luckily our ancient kitty no longer chooses to sleep with us (the bed it too high up for her--she's 20). My mom (very "old-school"--born 1919) would never have washed any more often and was sometimes known to switch the sheets around from top to bottom. She rarely washed blankets and never (that I know of) washed quilts--she aired them out. All of us kids survived quite healthfully. My MIL was worse about cleanliness (and even I cringe) and none of her children were ever sick or had allergies, etc. I think that keeping things overly clean is a detriment to our immune system. Humans spent many more years barely bathing, etc., and only in the last half-century has regular washing of any kind been less of a chore. Maybe ignorance IS bliss? When I was a kid, I'd never heard of dust mites, so I didn't fear them. Oh, and I laughed about the towel on the bed thing, Sherrmann.....I've been known to grab one too, especially when the sheets are fresh clean! Now if I had a live-in maid? Oh, how lovely to have fresh bedding each night......but it ain't ever gonna happen with me having to do it :-) I bet those of you that change your bedding so often also use clean towels each time you bathe?
    ...See More

OT: How old are we??

Q

Comments (143)
    I am 19, i will be 20 on December 23rd. I was a little happy to know i am not the youngest, I always feel like i am the only person my age that quilts. All of my friends think i am weird because I love to Sew.... Leah
    ...See More

OT: How do you pass the time

Q

Comments (18)
    Steph- I work from home. Just decided to finally take lunch....it's been a typical Monday! LOL As for great music....how about the theme from Laura? I started watching this last night and will probably finish it tonight. I've seen it lots of times, but I love this movie. Film Noir at its best :) http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqqizl_laura-trailer_shortfilms
    ...See More
  • Cookie8
    8 years ago

I am 44 and don't feel my age, um, nor my gender ha ha. I dress like 13 yr old boy - always sweats, jeans, plaid shirts, t-shirts, hoodies. I do dress appropriately when I have to but don't enjoy it.
    Unfortunately for my girls, we get along quite well and they do copy my
    style.

I also love to play - anything where there is tossing (catch, aim games), yard work, building, renovating, cooking, all of it. I need physical activity to be happy but hate structured workouts? I'm also confused by that! I also need noise around me all the time - tv on, a podcast playing or music (alternative rock or alternative folk).

Health problems from my teens until early forties but now all is great! Too bad I wasn't so eager to search out alternatives in my younger years. Great to read all your input on yourselves. I don't spend a lot of time on GW but it's a pleasant place to check in once in awhile.

Texas_Gem thanked Cookie8
  • katlan
    8 years ago

Hi Texas. I'm Kathy. Live in south central PA. I turned 55 in August. I am still stunned at the number everytime I say it! I don't FEEL 55, at least in my head, but my body reminds me, haha. I never lie about my age, I'm grateful for every year I get. My Dad died at the very young age of 60. My Mom died in my arms when she was 71. I confess, I do dye my hair, I would be totally, completely snow white if I didn't. Can't bring myself to do that! lol

I married my high school sweetheart. We started dating when I was 15 and he was 16. He sat in front of me in typing class. We have been married 34 years. Two adult kids, son 33, daughter 28. No grandbabies, yet. Fingers crossed. I told them they need to get busy, I'm going to be too old to get on the floor and crawl around with them.

Very close to both my kids. My daughter and I have an unusually close bond. She tells me all the time I am her best friend. They know our medical history, which thankfully for now, is not much.

Texas_Gem thanked katlan
  • susie53_gw
    8 years ago

I am 67 and live in Central Indiana. I have been married for 47 years to Larry. We have 3 children. Son, Scott, 46, Daughter, Annette, 41 and Stacey, 36. All are married to wonderful people and have given us 8 beautiful grandkids and 2 terrific stepgrandsons. I must say life is pretty good. We are both retired and do what we want most days. I help a lot with family which I am doing at this time. Larry is an outdoors man and I love my flowers. I also love to sew. I have Ole Arthy and that slows me down some days. I just keep on doing what I can. I check the KT every morning and evening or whenever I can. Interesting group of people. If you have never joined in on a swap you need to jump onboard. They are lots of fun. Thank you to Joann for organizing them. Have a great day everyone!!

Texas_Gem thanked susie53_gw
  • grandmamary_ga
    8 years ago

Hi all, I'm 74 and been married since 1962, We have 2 grown sons, 5 grandchildren and 1 step granddaughter who is the mom of our 2 great granddaugthers We are retired. I have kidney problems but don't let that get me down. We travel when we feel like it. I read and do hand sewing and play on the computer. My husband is into doing the yard and working on his familiy genealogy. We enjoy our family. Our sons are both divorced. I guess I am one of the older ones on here But I don't feel that old. I have 2 sisters living one that passed at age 50, I don't take myself that seriously. Try to laugh each day.

Texas_Gem thanked grandmamary_ga
  • Kathsgrdn
    8 years ago

I'm 53, divorced. Both kids are grown now. Just me and two dogs at home. Knees are in bad shape and my back hurts most days I work. I've got a cold/sinus infection? and overslept today. My back is killing me...only reason I got up. That and to let the dogs outside. I am looking forward to retirement! Going to get my resume done soon and apply for a desk job soon. Don't know how long I can do my current job. I'm a nurse on a busy med-surg floor.

Texas_Gem thanked Kathsgrdn
  • ruthieg__tx
    8 years ago

I am 76 and live in the country in the TX Hill Country. We have shared with our children.

Texas_Gem thanked ruthieg__tx
  • lindaohnowga
    8 years ago

I'm 76, hubby is 81. We've been married for 45 years. We have an adopted by love daughter, 5 grandkids and 7 great grandkids, one cat of our own and one that adopted us.

Texas_Gem thanked lindaohnowga
  • janey_alabama
    8 years ago

I am 58.

Texas_Gem thanked janey_alabama
  • PKponder TX Z7B
    8 years ago

I'm about to turn 58 and like others have mentioned, some days I feel older and some days I feel young and playful. I'm married to my best friend for the past 19 years, but we were a couple long before we tied the knot. He helped me raise my two kids, now 36 and 29.

I'm so happy to be an empty nester! We have 4 grandkids, A soon to be 8 year old boy, his 18 month old brother and twins (boy and girl) that turned 1 a couple of months ago.

We both still work. I get to work from home almost 100% of the time. I'm a corporate helpdesk analyst and work in the web ticketing/web chat group. Hubby is a contractor and does home improvements.

We live near Fort Worth Texas with our big sturdy dog and my father-in-law's cat and are thinking about adopting another dog from the shelter down the street. We love animals and are rather reclusive around people.

Texas_Gem thanked PKponder TX Z7B
  • Elmer J Fudd
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I agree with many of your comments, texas gem.

I'm not Medicare age yet but I will be soon. I was lucky to be able to retire in my mid-50s from a hectic career in Silicon Valley. We didn't have kids until we were into our 30s, and our three kids are doing the same.

I began to encounter a lot of people older than me on a social basis when I retired and started exploring activities that retirees pursue. I quickly realized that for me, spending time with people who were too old to be a close sibling was like spending time with my parents. There's nothing wrong with that, but it wasn't as comfortable or fun as spending time with people roughly my age or younger. I seem to have more in common with the "same or younger" age people.

We're active and remain in good health to this point. Travelling has been a lifelong passion for us and we enjoy doing that more now with more time available.

My parents were straight talking, straight shooting types and I'm the same. I don't mince words, I don't keep secrets from family and I don't play games in my relationships with others.

Texas_Gem thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • User
    8 years ago

I thought I was 54, but according to the calculator, I'm 56, not sure where 55 went but time seems to fly faster when you are older. :c)

I have one daughter, she'll be 39 in October. I was married and a Mom at 17 then divorced by 19. Things were pretty hard raising my daughter as a single parent, two jobs and money was always tight but we made it. I finally found real happiness 16 years ago when I married my husband.

My daughter is happily married to a great guy, no plans of children though so being a grand parent is not in my future; still we have a dog and two cats and that's enough. I work full time visiting medical clinics in five different counties, so I never have a dull moment. It's interesting enough and I love that the hours are flexible and I'm not stuck in one spot.

My grandmother died from complications with lupus and my mother is a colon cancer survivor, my ex husbands father also died of cancer. My daughter is aware of all the health issues and what she is at risk of. No secrets there.

I visit several GW forums. I post in some, lurk in others but never really think about the age of people on the board. While I enjoy people of all ages, there is no place like home and I'm happiest when my husband and family are close by. That said, we are all really different people with very different interests so that's where the forums come in for me, especially the decor forum. GW as a whole has a uniquely wonderful group of people participating, and great topics of conversation. Thanks in large part to Plllog, I'm always learning something new! Ha ha!

It's the only place that I know of where everyone is welcome to exchange thoughts and ideas without (for the most part) judgement or discrimination.

Texas_Gem thanked User
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    8 years ago

This is interesting! I'm 55 & have been a GardenWeb afficianado since the 1990s. I don't mind telling my age because I often get, "You look younger!" in reply = )

I have a son, 32, & 2 'step' kids around the same age w/ kids of their own.

Texas_Gem thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    8 years ago

69 (and almost a half). Youngsters count the halves and many seniors do too.

For those of you who have not reached the medicare age, just you wait. Your mailbox will fill with all kinds of stuff. I never minded becoming a certain age (whatever that might be) and getting social security was a breeze. But, the signing up for medicare sure did take me back a bit. That's when I felt old.

I just got home from volunteering for 3.5 hours at the county-owned nursing home. Being there is good. Some of the folks there are old enough to be my parents and the youngest, at 51 (lots of health issues) could almost be my daughter. That puts a lot into perspective.

Texas_Gem thanked jim_1 (Zone 5B)
  • marilyn_c
    8 years ago

I will be 69 next month. In my mind, I am about 12 years old, and that myth is shattered only when I look in a mirror. So....I avoid mirrors. I will have been married 50 years in January. My husband is a commercial shrimper. We have one daughter, who lives and works in Houston (about 45 miles away). She married her long time boyfriend May a year ago. They had been together for 12 years....longer than most marriages last today. They don't have any children or plan to have any. My husband and I were married 15 years before she was born.

I live on Chocolate Bayou....between two very small towns (cross roads, really) that most people have never heard of....even that live in this area. I rehab wildlife...mostly possums...but not so much any more. I have many interests....and lots of pets. I have 5 horses, 3 donkeys and a mule, lots of cats...mostly refuges from the Humane society, dogs, fish, 5 possums, and some hogs. I have a pet hog named Pig Newton, and also have Pig Lee and Pig Delores, and Pigatoni and 7 babies that will be sold when they are bigger.

My husband works long hours, so I am often here by myself. I am busy most of the time and just come in to check the computer when I need to rest a few minutes. My health is good and I am very active for my age....whatever that means. To me it means...I still unload hay and sacks of feed and stay on my feet most of the day. (I forgot to add, there is a raccoon that lives here too, but I don't count her as a pet. She belongs to one of my dogs.)

Texas_Gem thanked marilyn_c
  • sunnydj47
    8 years ago

This is quite interesting.....I'm 78, married for almost 61 years, yep I was just a baby...I met my hubby when I was 13, he was 18..We were both patients in the hospital, me with a broken femur, him with burns from an explosion...We were in adjoining rooms, I was in a body cast, and the nurses would tell him to visit that little girl in the next room....Little did he know what those visits would lead too, lol....We had 5 kids, 4 boys and 1 daughter and sadly lost a son last year on our 60th anniversary....Not a happy memory....We also have 13 grand kids and 3 great grand sons and 2 weddings planned for next October... We're had a very blessed life, living in SW. Pa and spending most of the winters in Ft. Myers....About a year ago, hubby was diagnosed with early dementia and we all know where that will lead but we live 1 day at a time and sometimes we muddle through....I have had heart problems and always thought hubby would be the one to take care of me, but someone upstairs had other plans......I love to read, do a lot of quilting and cross stitching and always make time for lunch with gal friends....As I said, we have a good life, full of happy surprises and some not so happy, but it's been good....I have found, make the best of each day, don't put off doing or telling each other how much you care....You don't always get that 2nd chance......

Texas_Gem thanked sunnydj47
  • miss_sistersue
    8 years ago

I am 84. Widowed 11 years ago after a happy 50 year marriage. No children. I taught school for 39 years and was very happy to retire. I find lots of things to do and think about. I read a lot, garden (though it is mostly on the patio now), do genealogy. I do not think of myself as old, am surprised when I realize I am "elderly."

Texas_Gem thanked miss_sistersue
  • Chi
    8 years ago

I'm 32, so about your age. I've been reading and contributing here since I was 18, so I've been one of the youngest throughout the years. Though maybe 5-10 years ago, we had quite a few young mothers but they have moved on, I think.

Despite the age differences, I still very much enjoy the KT. I don't feel that much different than anyone else, but my interests and hobbies have always run towards things that other people here enjoy, like crafts and baking and reading. I've made a few offline friends here too and I very much appreciate them. In general, people are kinder and more supportive here than other forums I visit, which is why I keep coming back!

I've "retired" from working. I had a high pressure analytics career for 10 years, and I quit once I married last year for multiple reasons. We're hoping to have kids in the near future and I plan on staying home with them. If that doesn't happen, then I'll re-evaluate and probably start working again, though in a different field. I don't like being stressed out.

For now, I'm keeping busy with volunteering and my hobbies. On some other forums I read with women my own age, they are so catty and judgmental towards my life choices and I try to stay away from toxic environments like that.

Texas_Gem thanked Chi
  • lindyluwho
    8 years ago

I'm 65 and an open book. I have one daughter who is 37. She knows my medical history including the brain tumor (not malignant) I was diagnosed with in 2000. No need to be secretive about such things. I have 3 grands. A boy who will be 9 in Nov., 2 girls, 11 and 6. I been widowed twice. The last time was almost 2 years ago. When I was 19 or 20 a co-worker read my palm and told me I'd out live 2 husbands. Didn't think much of it at the time. She was right. I live i Alabama 2 miles from my daughter but I'm from Athens, GA. I moved here 4 years ago because I wanted to be closer to my Grands.

Texas_Gem thanked lindyluwho
  • Kathsgrdn
    8 years ago

I just realized I didn't mention any hobbies, after reading other posts. My post sounds like all I do is work and gripe. lol. I love to read, been reading books a lot lately, mostly from the library. I quit buying books for the most part because they are piling up. I need to put a bunch on half.com and get rid of them. I bought a bookcase last year to put the ones I have on but Alex, my son, is more of a book collector than I am so I gave it to him for his books. I used to love to garden but now only grow a few things every year. I'd love to try and grow morel mushrooms someday. It seems like a a lot of prep work though.

I'm editing this because I just realized I didn't answer your questions. There's a lot of not so great medical history on both sides of my kids' families and they know about them. I bring them up from time to time too, which probably annoys them.

Texas_Gem thanked Kathsgrdn
  • pekemom
    8 years ago

I'm 68, have been married 45 years, have 2 sons (43 and 40) and one daughter (41), 2 grandsons (both 13) and one grandaughter (10) and one pekingese dog....born in Youngstown, Ohio, husband was born in San Diego, California where I met him when my family moved to California..now we live in Colorado. My husband has various medical problems, was a survivor of polio, got it just before there were vaccinations at school. Our daughter lives nearest us, our sons live in 2 different states. When young I always thought with each passing year you got wiser, that when I was old I would be extremely wise...well guess what...I'm just an older version of myself. Family knows our medical histories.

Texas_Gem thanked pekemom
  • heritagehd07
    8 years ago

I'm 58 and married for 35 years to my college sweetheart. We were blessed with our son 23 years ago. We are fortunate to both be working and in good health, other than my arthritic knees. My parents were very open with us about their health issues - my in laws not so much. In turn, we are open with our son, however, since he is adopted it is his biological parents medical history that is most critical. We have some info on his birth mom's family medical history, but nothing on the birth dad's side of the family.

We are almost empty nesters. DS lives in his own apartment while working full time and finishing up his degree, but is still partially financially dependent on us. We travel as much as work commitments and money allow, enjoy riding our Harley's and hiking / walking in our local parks. We are very fortunate indeed.

Texas_Gem thanked heritagehd07
  • marcopolo5
    8 years ago

I am 73 and have been enjoying Gardenwebsome forums for many years . Married 51 years to career a military guy. Live in same town was born in, never left. Husbands work was always here on Long island. Sister and family also live in same town. Often feel grateful to be able to live in such a great area. We are gardeners, both vegetable and flowers. Love travel, have been on 37 cruises. In my early fifties my motto was, go while you can still pickup suitcase. Glad we did. I worked as a chairside dental assistant until last year. Purely because it was very social and I had a wonderful boss. Miss it alot, but takes twice as long to do same amount of things at home. So retired, can go back any day I feel like. Try to tell my 4 grandkids all family stuff so they will not wonder or hear it from someone else. They are all over 18 and nothing terrible to hide. Have 50 year old son, the father of the four kids. They live close and we see them regularly. Age is just a number. We try to not act our age.

Texas_Gem thanked marcopolo5
  • blfenton
    8 years ago

Hi Texas_Gem! I am 62 (27 in my head) and we didn't marry until we were 30 and didn't have kids until we were 34 and 36. I am shocked at how many of you that are my age have kids that are so much older than mine.. Shocked in a Holy Cr** kind of way. My sons are 26 and 28 and still at home. Both have graduated and have good jobs in their chosen careers. So, you ask, why are they still at home? Several of their friends are - it has something to do with our stupidly expensive real estate and rental markets. And we all like each other. I guess I wasn't a mean enough mom.

I didn't graduate from university until I was 23 with a business degree and then spent several years trying to break that glass ceiling - marriage and kids were the furthest things from my mind. But when my second was born I did quit work, I was tired of the glass ceiling fight and we could live on my husbands salary. Lots of volunteer work with the kids lives - at school and with their sports teams.

When I was 32 the internet and forums such as this didn't exist. I love having the youngun's around. I have 4 nieces that are around this age - all married and with young kids and I love hanging around them. So much fun and energy.

We are honest with our kids about health issues. As a family we have always skied and I run and my husband bikes and our kids have followed in our footsteps by being very active. We knew that getting our kids involved in the outdoors and active lives would become a lifetime commitment to a healthy lifestyle and would help prevent those age related issues. It has helped us and so hopefully we have set a good example.

We have alcoholism on both sides of the family and right from when my kids were early teens I was honest about the affects of it. How it is damaging to not only the person but the rest of the family as well. My younger one, when in his early 20's was drinking too much and I told him that I would kick him out of the house if he kept it up. I was not living with that again (my dad was an alcoholic) and I was very bluntly honest about how it destroys people. He did quit when he realized how damaging it can be and he also knew that I would kick him out. As a parent I always followed through on my consequences.

I've really enjoy reading about the others at the table. thanks for sharing.

seniorgal - I want to be like you in 30 years!

Texas_Gem thanked blfenton
  • plllog
    8 years ago

Texas_Gem,

There are a few others in your age and stage in KT. What I've seen in the answers in this thread confirm my impression of the forum as a whole. :) When I first joined Kitchens, many years ago, it seemed that the biggest clump were in their 40s-50s. Young enough to bother and old enough to afford a new kitchen. That age seems to be creeping down a lot, and a lot more people there are doing more of a makeover than a remodel (i.e., are younger and don't have enough money for more or aren't in their forever house, combined with more accessible pricing for the basics). In general, you can tell where the age break is by how "textified" people's writing is. :)

I'm honest about my age IRL, but I filter personal information online, so let's just say I'm somewhere in the middle. :) Similarly, I'm honest, as are my family, with medical information, but we could be much better organized about it. I read about a woman who thought she took great notes because she just had to glance at them an had all the information she needed. Then she had a brain injury. When she looked back at her notes she saw they often just said a single word. She'd lost the index in her brain that associate a raft of memories with each word she'd written, so her notes really said nothing at all. With a lot of therapy she was able to access much of the information, but I don't think she ever got back the index. I really should organize the personal information stuff rather than relying on memory. Thanks for the push!

JC

Texas_Gem thanked plllog
  • lgmd_gaz
    8 years ago

I am 74. Married to the same guy for 56 years. Yes, we were both just 18. Had 2 daughters by the time we were 20. Most of dh's working years were with General Motors. Over the years I worked at a telephone answering service, as a sales person in a home decorating shop and as a fitter in a boutique that catered to the hard to fit woman (as in bras) and breast prosthesis.

Spent about 30 years in Ohio and Michigan and after retirement we moved back to our home state to be nearer family. Sadly we lost younger daughter 9 years ago. She suffered greatly with rheumatoid arthritis and bipolar disorder. It is devastating to loose a child, but you have to keep on keeping on. Other daughter lives near by and has a good life even though she was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 10. Husband also is diabetic, type 2. He (we, it is a team effort) manage it well with insulin and diet along with the right amount of exercise. Coronary artery disease resulted in quadruple bypass surgery when he was just 43. Today I would challenge anyone to try to keep up with him for a day. And no, he has never been overweight and quit smoking when he was 19.

In my family history heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and stroke are common. Also somewhere there has to be a history of muscle weakness. My older sister and I were diagnosed at the same time with an unknown type of muscular dystrophy. I was 17 and she was 27. After 5 muscle biopsies and uncountable nerve and muscle conduction tests over several years, we were labeled with probable Limb Girdle MD. Just 2 months ago I had another test that is supposed to identify which subtype (there are a dozen or more subtypes of LGMD) we have. The test just involves spitting into a tube. Yep, after all those biopsies, etc, a little saliva is going to clear up the mystery. I am not holding my breath till I get the results.The exact diagnosis won't help my sister and I, but future generations could benefit.

I am still able to walk very short distances with a cane. My weakness is throughout legs, arms and trunk, but most pronounced in my back strength, or lack of strength I should say. But I am grateful that pain is not an issue unless I fall or other wise injure myself. All in all I am pleased and grateful for all that I still can do considering that 57 years ago I was told that I would be dependent on a wheelchair before I was 30. Life is Good!

Texas_Gem thanked lgmd_gaz
  • User
    8 years ago

Hi Texas_gem, it would seem most of us are in our "golden years" here. Maybe this sort of thing appeals to us more then the younger generation that are so busy keeping busy.

I am 66, widowed 4 yrs ago. I never expected to be where I am at this stage of life but it gets to most of us sooner or later. I have one Son who lives next door with his wife & 16 yr old son. Not many others are left now. I do have 2 step children, 1 I never see anymore and the other has a ton of kids & grands with another due in Nov.

I met my best friend here doing the swaps, I like doing it just to keep myself busy and something to look forward to.

I am the one that started The KT Gathering Place. I don't know if I told you about it. Stop in a take a look, its all about us here at the KT, lots of recipes and information with many photos.

KT Gathering Place

Texas_Gem thanked User
  • phoggie
    8 years ago

Hi Texas! This is most interesting and am enjoying reading about other friends here at the Kitchen Table. The calendar says I am 73+, so I try to convince my mind.....although the body and mirror agree. With life, comes many changes...some planned and some unfortunate. I have been widowed twice....one when I was 33 and he was killed in a highway accident.....stayed single raising our 3 children alone for 26 years....then remarried at 59 and married for 11 years until he had an unexpected heart failure.

After he died, I sold our house, moved back closer to "my home" here in the middle of Kansas, and built a new home and never plan to leave until they carry me out feet first! I have been so blessed....one daughter, her husband and 2 boys live an hour and 20 minutes away, other daughter, her husband, 2 boys and daughter live an hour away. My son and his wife live just across the street from me. I am so fortunate to be able to be included in the grandchildren's activities.

I do have some health problems....mostly because Uncle Arthur loves living in my body....body scan shows him in all my joints....I have had both hips and a knee replaced, surgery on the other knee...and two back surgeries and another pending...a tremor and Barrett's Esophagus.....but, when I go to appointments and see people with no legs, I feel very fortunate! I just get upset when I try to do what I used to do, and can't....even with my limitations, I have completed my bucket list including hot air ballooning and parasailing last year...traveled to all 50 states and a lot of Canada and Mexico and several cruises....but that is life and I try to accept the good with the bad.

My children are not blessed with good genes on either parent's sides...so I have prepared a list for them for their medical records. I have no secrets from any of them. I prepared a trust after their dad was killed and since my son will be administrator, he has a record of all my affairs and powers of attorneys. When the Creator wants me home, I hope I have done all I can so my kids will be spared....funeral arrangements made, obit written, clothes picked out..so I am ready when he calls...:-)

Texas_Gem thanked phoggie
  • mary3444
    8 years ago

I am 70 & will be 71 in Dec. We just had our 50th wedding anniversary yesterday. We live in a very rural part of Mid-TN going on 18 years, before that we lived in CT.

I have a daughter that is 48 she has 3 kids, 25, 22, & 15. Hubby & kids live in FL. Had another daughter who would have been 49 she passed away 3 years ago, which broke my heart as her & I were very close. She was divorced with 1 kid who is 16 & he lives in FL with his Dad. Sad to say but we are not close to any of them.

Everyone in the family knows about all the health problems I know about. Just had my 24th surgery 6 weeks ago, my second total knee replacement. I am a cancer survivor & count my blessings every day to be alive.

I love working on our small farm, taking care of my husband, 2 dogs & 7 cats. There is nothing I will not try if my body lets me.

My parents passed away years ago & both of my brothers passed at a young age.

Texas_Gem thanked mary3444
  • susanjf_gw
    8 years ago

69, and told every female on both sides of the family, when i had my lumptomy, several years ago....my second bout. the first was a total hyst. including the tubes...thank goodness I did as mine was hormone induced...still taking the anti-hormone drug even after the 5 year mark...my dr andi decided it was helping and while i'm now on a nasal spray for bone density...

my parents shared some things like my half sister (15 years younger than my mother) from day one...but they were older parents 46 (dad, 31 Mother) and once my mother remarked she should never had me, sigh...she thought she was loving parent but never on the level I see some with older parents. it made a rift I never could forget...my dad on the other hand took everything in stride, including a child football ticket, lol...yes he should have had a boy...

Texas_Gem thanked susanjf_gw
  • PRO
    MDLN
    8 years ago

Texas_Gem thanked MDLN
  • Lindsey_CA
    8 years ago

I'm 66, although I look younger (the benefit of inheriting my mother's wonderful Irish complexion, I guess). I retired in 2013 when I was 4 months past my 64th birthday. When I told one of my supervisors that I was going to retire, he said that I wasn't old enough -- the minimum full retirement age in state service is 55. My husband is now retired, also from state service. We've been together for nearly 35 years, and married for nearly 30 years. We both love to read -- we have over 1,000 hardbound books here at home, hundreds of paperbacks, and countless digital books on our Kindles. I read an average of 20 books a month. Hubby also loves to golf, and he loves that he gets to golf as much as he wants now that he's retired. I love to knit, and lately have begun to create/design new knitting patterns.

My parents didn't meet until they were in their early 30s -- my mother was a social worker with the Red Cross and my father was in the medical corps in the Army. Because my father was career Army, we lived all over the world and only lived near (my mother's) family for two years. My sisters and I (our brother died in 1994) know just about everything there is to know about our family's medical history -- both from our parents being open about it as well as from all of the genealogy research I do. (My other passion.) Hubs and I don't have kids (I was never able to carry a pregnancy to term), so there's no one to whom we need to tell anything.

Texas_Gem thanked Lindsey_CA
  • Lindsey_CA
    8 years ago

LOVE the pic, MDLN, but I wish I could correct the grammar!!!

Texas_Gem thanked Lindsey_CA
  • Texas_Gem
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow, it is so nice reading everyone's stories! Thank you all for sharing, both with me and with your family.

I don't know why my grandparents were so secretive, I was shocked to find out about the breast cancer. We knew of the multiple myeloma, but only after she was so ill with it that they couldn't hide it from us.

She passed away when I, her youngest grandchild, was pregnant with my first child.

My grandfathers body is still alive but he has been gone for a long time. He was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 6 years ago, he now lives in a lock down unit and doesn't recognize anyone.

My mom's parents died before I was born, both from cancer.

My husband, (13 years this December) however comes from a line of vampires! His grandmother passed at 101, all of her siblings and her parents also lived a long time, no cancer or heart disease. His mom doesn't take care of herself but she is still healthy with no problems in her 70s.

I'm hoping my kids get their health from him and not my family!

I'm not retired, but I am a stay at home mom who likes to check these boards when I take a break from working on my house or when the kids are napping.

• mawheel
    8 years ago

This post has been interesting and fascinating; all the stories are wonderful.

I was 83 in July, and my husband was 85 on September i. We celebrated 64 years of marriage in September, and feel blessed to still be together. All in all, our health is O.K., not great, but nothing life threatening, and we are grateful for that.

We have three adult children--all now senior citizens!-- two grandaughters, and three great grandchildren. Unfortunately, we don't live close enough to see them, as much as we would like.

I started about 12years ago on The Garden Party and have enjoyed being part of that group, but posters are few. The Kitchen Table is more active, and I'm enjoying it, too.

Texas_Gem thanked mawheel
  • User
    8 years ago

Just for you Lindsey ;o)

Texas_Gem thanked User
  • bengardening
    8 years ago

I am 63 years old and hubby is 65. We have been married 41 years. Our health is fair to good. He has type 2 diabetes thanks to Viet Nam. We have a son and a daughter. 6 grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren. They know all of our health problems. One of my sisters died when she was 40 from pancreatic cancer. My mother and her sister both died of it too. Some of my siblings are in a study at the Mayo Clinic. They always said it wasn't hereditary. Now they are saying different.

Texas_Gem thanked bengardening
  • ginny20
    8 years ago

I am 58, DH is 68, DD is 17. Also have Dstepson, 31. Our dog is 6. I know my medical history back to my grandparents, as does DH, and it is family knowledge. DD, however, is adopted from overseas, so we have no medical history for her.

Every so often we think about genetic tendencies in the family and someone will comment how DD should watch for whatever it is. Then we remember that she isn't biologically related.

Texas_Gem thanked ginny20
  • nanny98
    8 years ago

I'm turning 81 in December, DH already hit that mark. We have been so blessed to have lived such long healthy lives that turning 75 came as a shock as well as the steady decline into 'octogenarian' and the slow-down that accompanies it. We still travel in our motor home...currently sitting in a fairgrounds at the end of another great Rally. Each one, however, makes us realize there may not be many more in our future. We have both aged well, appearance-wise; grandchildren (now in 20's) kept us young for many years and my only regret is that we won't be able to drag the Greats around the US as we did their parents. (My hope is, tho, that we taught the parents to stay 'close' with their little ones) DH and I were High School Sweethearts (15 & 16 years old) and he and the USMC dragged our family around the world enough that they are well educated folks, then we returned to our roots in Ca to live in many corners of the state before moving to Oregon. Life has been So Very Good to us and our 61 year marriage....yes, he can still make my heart skip a beat!

Texas_Gem thanked nanny98
  • Texas_Gem
    Original Author
    8 years ago

nanny- are they Airstream rally's by any chance?

My grandparents retired when I was 2 and spent all their free time traveling in an Airstream and going to rally's.

• blfenton
    8 years ago

My parents used to own an Airstream and would travel to rallies as well. This would be during the mid/late 1980's time frame. They would travel south from B.C. so the rallies would have been in the western U.S.

• Texas_Gem
    Original Author
    8 years ago

blfenton- I wouldn't be surprised to find out that my grandparents knew your parents. The timeline fits...

• Alisande
    8 years ago

Good thread.

As confirmed many times above, there's no shame in growing older. I'm 72. My mother died two weeks after her 38th birthday, and I've long been aware that every year--every day--is a gift.

My role model for aging was a woman named Emilie, whom I met when I was 30 and she was 85. Cataracts prevented her from driving, so she hitchhiked to work at the library every day. She had six sons, and lost her only daughter to pneumonia when the baby was 18 months old. She said, "If I could survive that, I can survive anything." In her 80s, she gave up housekeeping (her daughters-in-law "mucked out" occasionally) and enjoyed her garden, baking, and listening to whale song records. When I met Emilie, my first child had just been born, and we became close friends.

I don't hitchhike and I do my own mucking out, but I hope I have Emilie's youthful spirit. These days, my three best friends are aged 62, 66, and 86. I also have several friends in their 30s whom I see on a regular basis. My son has said about them, "They can't be your friends--they're my age!" :-)

I grew up in NYC, but have lived for the past 40 years on an old farm out in the country in Pennsylvania. My husband died in 2005 after suffering with dementia for 10 years. My middle daughter died in 2001. I'm happy to say my surviving children live near me. My daughter and her family live on a lake 17 miles away, and my son and his family built their house within sight of my own. I have a 24-year-old granddaughter and two grandsons, ages 4 and 22 months.

Family health history is a hot topic with me, and I've brought up the subject so many times my children probably tuned me out long ago. I've written down much of it so that some day they'll have it if they need it.

I grew up knowing that "all the women" in my mother's family died young. I wish I had more details on that, but I know my mother's mother died of a heart attack in her early 40s. My mom died from cleaning a rug with carbon tetrachloride. One of my first cousins died of a heart attack at 49, and her sister had unexplained liver failure in her early 60s.

When I head my DNA tested I learned that my liver is more susceptible to damage than most, and I also learned I have a gene mutation that impairs the processing and elimination of toxins. I suspect this is why I have a serious reaction to foods containing solanine (tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, etc.), as solanine is a poison. It is present in foods in a small enough quantity not to be a problem to most people. I wonder if this is why my mom died from breathing toxic fumes (chlorinated hydrocarbons). Carbon tet made a lot of people sick, which is why it's off the market, but I don't know how many it killed.

On my father's side, we have lots and lots of heart disease and diabetes. In fact, just last night one of my cousins in Germany sent me a copy of my great-grandmother's death certificate. Yes, heart disease and diabetes. Her son, my grandfather, died of a heart attack at 61, and one of her grandchildren lost a foot to diabetes.

I've told the story at the KT before about how my dad had such blocked arteries in his 40s that he couldn't walk up a subway ramp without taking nitroglycerine. He wasn't overweight, but he smoked and had high cholesterol. A doctor, clearly ahead of his time, told him to quit smoking and stop eating saturated fats. So my dad gave up cigarettes, ice cream, cheese, sausage, and on and on, and completely reversed the condition. He lived to be 90.

I've inherited his "fat clearing genes"--which don't do a very good job of clearing--as well as blood sugar issues. I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic at 22. My diet is limited, and can be a royal nuisance when dining at friends' homes, but I've staved off these two family curses, and am pleased to say I require no meds.

Now, if I could just get rid of all the ticks on my property, I might have some energy and stamina. :-)

Texas_Gem thanked Alisande
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

I'm 58, married my high school sweetheart at 20, was widowed at 53. I am in good health, no medications, rarely ill, except for stiffness when I do things I shouldn't, like moving furniture by myself.

I inherited good genes from both parents--my mother still works circles around me, and my father just repaired my barn (with two young helpers). I helped paint it, although Dad is still overprotective and complained when I used a ladder. I do all my yard work (stacked brush all week-end), and have completed a few DIY remodeling projects.

I have three healthy adult children, who live healthy lifestyles, recycle, support themselves, and care for stray animals. :)

ETA, I wanted to add that I have great admiration for those senior citizens who use computers. I'd never used the internet until 2009, found GW in 2010, and it's been a great help since I lost my husband.

seniorgal, to you, especially, at 93--I'm amazed!

Texas_Gem thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • monica_pa Grieves
    8 years ago

I'm 70....but I feel 30.

Started working with computers back in 1963....back when we had card input. Worked most of my life in the industry for various computer companies, and traveled A LOT. From Sweden to New Zealand.

Texas_Gem thanked monica_pa Grieves
  • linda_6
    8 years ago

I'll be turning 64 in November. Married to my sweetie for 20+ years. Love gardening with flowers. I love dahlias and day lilies. Plus I love to crochet with threads instead of yarn. I made my granddaughter (3 yrs.) barbie clothes but she would rather play with cars. lol, so I have them put away for her daughter one day.

Texas_Gem thanked linda_6
  • chisue
    8 years ago

DH and I are both seventy-plus, lifelong suburban Chicagoans. DS is forty-plus, with a loving spouse and two kids. DGS is ten. DGD is four. (More lifelong area residents!)

DH and DS are adult adoptees. I was active in Truthseekers Search and Reunion for many years and was able to find the missing families for both. Unfortunately, no relationships developed, but now all concerned are able to answer a doctor's questions about all known relatives' health history -- backwards and forwards. I had always wanted to know our DS's birthmother and hear her reasons for surrendering him. She was relieved to know her son was well and happy.

One of the ignored wrongs of sealed adoption is that the birthmom seldom knows the outcome of an agonizing surrender. Others are the presumption that only the adoptive family 'matters' and that an adoptee is somehow 'disloyal' for caring to know his birth history or the reasons for his adoption .

DH's adoption was a secret that only came out shortly before his adoptive mother died in her eighties. His adoptive father had wanted a child; she didn't. They were past forty when they married and adopted. He died when DH was ten, and she was 'stuck' with the secret and the child. It was a relief to finally know the truth -- and to stop thinking he'd inherited his adoptive father's family heart conditions. (No men lived much beyond 50.) Instead of a French-Irish and Danish heritage, DH is Irish-Italian.

We are a bunch of 'only children', although DH has two full and two half-sibs in his birth family and DS has several half-sibs on each side. I have two half-sibs from my father's marriage following his divorce from my mother when I was six. My mother was an 'only'; died of leukemia at 73. MGM lived into her nineties; all her sibs died of TB. PGF lived to 100; PGM died in her seventies.

Texas_Gem thanked chisue
  • littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    8 years ago

I am 60 (gasp!) and became semi-retired this past spring. I married my high school sweetheart and we just celebrated 41 years together. He is still working and loves it. He is a salesman, selling seed corn and soybeans to large-scale farmers, and he has worked for the same company for 40 years.

We have two sons, one divorced with a five-year-old son and the other married with their first baby on the way.

As I said in another thread, I was born and raised in Iowa but moved to Missouri when I was 15. I married a Missouri boy and have been here ever since. We are now living in the largest town I have ever lived in - about 7,000 people. We used to live on an acreage in the country, but the house got too big when our sons grew up and moved out. We live adjacent to Hole #1 of our country club and love it.

My hobbies are golf, reading, genealogy, and gardening.

My mother never, ever told secrets, whether they be about health issues or family scandals. I had to figure out for myself what she had surgery for when she was 55 (hysterectomy).

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations