What Are You Cooking or Baking for The Weekend?
11 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (30)
Related Discussions
Rainy day baking and cooking... What are you cooking today?
Comments (24)Although it seems like a forgiving dough - I can taste that I cheated on the overnight ferment. Sorry your casserole dishes aren't big enough. I bake in a toaster oven so when my bread rises it burns on top. Another reason P a L'A is good - it spreads out more than up. I brush the bread with some slightly salty water right before it goes in the oven. But I lose that lovely floury rustic surface. Do you have a pizza stone? That helped me get a better crust back when I last had an oven - now I use it in my grill to make pitas. Also I read somewhere or another about using a SS restaurant dish lid as a cloche though I've never seen one large enough. I am currently jealously watching a neighbor build a stone wood-fired bread oven by his pond - the ultimate bread oven. He says he will advise me when I am ready to build one - and I definitely do not lack for rocks. However right now my 'yard' is festooned with logs, brush and firewood piles. Hopefully in the near future the logs will become a woodshed and I can move the firewood inside. Then maybe a bread oven - which will entail moving rocks. I'm tired just thinking about it all. Making some tea and toast and taking a nap....See MoreDid You Do Any Baking For the Weekend?
Comments (36)Sally, Ann T's chocolate meringue cookies are good and have no flour, so they can easily be made gluten free using the appropriate ingredients. Macarons are also naturally gluten free, made with almond meal, but they are fussy. I can also heartily recommend this lemon bar recipe, I made it for Amanda and it was so good that no one even knew it was gluten free. She had to sneak a couple to hold back so she'd have some for her work snack! I got it from a blog called "Faithfully Gluten Free". Gluten Free Lemon Bars (the Way Lemon Bars Should Be) Author: Jeanine Friesen Ingredients For the crust: 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature 1/2 cup granulated sugar 2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour blend (see Note) 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum pinch salt For the Filling: 7 large eggs, at room temperature 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest (4-6 lemons) 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (I needed 6 lemons to get 1 cup) 1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour blend (see NOTE) Confectioners' Sugar for dusting Instructions Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x13-inch baking pan with parchment paper, so the paper rises up the sides (I had it run up the 13" sides, and left the 9" sides bare). (This will make removing the squares much easier, as you can lift them out once they are cooled.) For the crust, in the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Combine the flour & salt, and slowly add to the butter/sugar mixture while the mixer is on low. Mix just until it is combined. Dump the dough into your 9x13-inch pan, and using hands dusted with gluten-free flour, press the dough evenly over the bottom of the pan, building up a 1/2-inch edge on all sides. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until very lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack. Leave the oven on. While the crust is baking, you can prepare the filling. For the filling, whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and gluten-free flour. Pour over your pre-baked crust and bake for 30-35 minutes, until the filling is set. Let cool to room temperature. To remove from pan, cut along 9" edges, and use the parchment paper to lift the bars out to a cutting board. Using a sifter or wire sieve, dust the top of the bars with confectioners' sugar. Cut into squares, and serve. Notes The all-purpose gluten-free flour mix that I use is from Cybele Pascal. It is as follows: 4 cups superfine brown rice flour, 1 1/3 cups potato starch (not flour), 2/3 cup tapioca starch. Adapted from The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook. I used King Arthur's gluten free flour mix, as that's all I had on hand. They turned out nicely moist, extremely lemon-y and altogether delicious. Annie...See MoreWhat are you cooking this weekend?
Comments (22)I am doing a small father's day brunch that just got a little smaller. My FIL fell and has a compressed fracture of the spine. They think he'll be okay, but is in some discomfort and won't be released from hospital for a bit. I'm serving roasted veggie and cheese sandwiches on homemade foccacia and Ina's roasted shrimp salad (to which I plan on adding roasted corn and avocado). hhireno, I have one DD who is a vegetarian and one who was a very fussy eater (thankfully she's outgrown it). I never expect our hosts to cook special for them and always bring something instead. However, I have never been asked to bring things for them and, as a host, I wouldn't dream of asking someone to bring their own (but would accept if they offered - esp. with allergies or vegans 'cause I'm so scared I'll get it wrong)....See MoreWhat do you bake and cook in the Miele Combi oven?
Comments (6)It's a great sous-vide appliance. Of course, I could use a countertop water-bath. But frequently, the CSO is much easier to set up, and faster to start. Also, if I don't need to season whatever I'm cooking, the CSO can actually cook sous-vide without having to pack the food into a vacuum bag. That makes things even less work for me. So, I find, half the time, I'm just using my CSO as a really good sous-vide machine. But I have also used it to cook a whole goose much faster than I have ever seen it roast before. I have used it to make perfectly cooked green beans, carrots and asparagus. Of course I can do that on a stove as well; but it's less effort in the CSO and comes out perfectly done each and every time. Just a great labor saver. I use it to cook fresh pasta too. Again, it's just a good way to cook automatically while working on other dishes on the stove. Works wonders for proofing yeast dough. I have never before had an oven that regulated low temperatures as precisely. Makes the best Kaiserschmarrn ever. And doesn't even take any effort to do so. The precise moisture control really helps for this dish. Does double duty as a good warming drawer, and can reheat food very gently. Overall, it's super versatile. Some things are almost impossible to do any other way. Others are just so much easier on a CSO, which gives me more time to do other dishes....See More- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
Related Stories

KITCHEN DESIGNKitchen Design: Baking Stations Make Cooking More Fun
Get inspired to cook (and simplify holiday prep) with a dedicated space for baking
Full Story
HOLIDAYS15 Things to Do on a Holiday Weekend at Home
Stay warm and festive indoors and out with these activities to enjoy with family and friends or on your own
Full Story
ENTERTAININGHow to Welcome Summer Weekend Guests
Thoughtful touches and smart planning will help make your visitors feel at home
Full Story
MOST POPULAR10 Steps to a Happier Weekend
Savor your precious days off while still checking off to-do’s by following this simple plan
Full Story
HEALTHY HOMEEasy Green: Weekend Detox for Your Home
A few small changes to your home over the weekend can help improve your health (and your cash flow) every day
Full Story
LIFESimple Pleasures: A Relaxed Weekend at Home
To recharge your batteries, think about what you want to do, not what you have to do, during your precious respite
Full Story
LIFESimple Pleasures: The Joy of Baking
Fill your house with a heavenly scent and your heart with cheer by making time to bake
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNGet Organized for Holiday Baking
Before you crack that first egg, establish a game plan for stress-free success
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNA Cook’s 6 Tips for Buying Kitchen Appliances
An avid home chef answers tricky questions about choosing the right oven, stovetop, vent hood and more
Full Story
Alisande