SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melle_sacto_gw

Hallway -- wall color and door color

melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'm excited, my new green hallway runner arrived and it unexpectedly livened up the hallway...a surprise to me because it's just a casual green jute carpet. I am feeling inspired to paint; currently the hall, bedroom doors, and linen cabs are all whitish -- as they have been for the past 14 years!

The hallway is generally dark, and it's about 11' long with five doors and a linen cab. I'd like to paint the hallway and doors, it's overdue. The doors are nothing special, but the white paint is chipping off and you can see the dark 70s whatever hollow-core luan underneath so they are in need of re-do.

I think I want to go with either a warm mid-tone greyish-green for the walls, or a warm mid-tone neutral; not as dark as the new runner but definitely in a similar tonal (or close) family.

So here is my question: how do I decide what color to paint the bedroom doors? I feel like white will stand out too much, but anything brownish or tan seems weird, like I painted wood to look like wood. Part of my wants to paint them with dark blue -- we have plenty of BM "Mysterious" and I really like it! I do want to add additional blue accents around the house, would this be a good way to do it? The hall is dark enough that "Mysterious" will probably look black.

Or should I just paint them a lighter version of the walls? Each bedroom is a different color on the inside, and the doors will just stay white on the inside. Should I just go with white for the outside and not worry about the contrast? Do they all need to be the same? I'd appreciate some guidance.

Edit -- In keeping with the original design of the home, the doors would have been a dark color (dark walnut) so that makes me feel inclined to paint them a dark color. Additionally, I feel like the dark doors would add some much-needed personality. I guess I could try one door and see what I think!

Comments (6)