SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

Long, dark, low, depressing hall wall color suggestions?

Fori
12 years ago

I have a long, narrow L shaped hall with no windows. It is painted wood paneling (must have been REALLY dark before). The floor is a medium oak and the doors and trim and linen cabinet are a medium mahogany that I'm working on restoring to its glorious 1950s orangey luster.

It's Realtor tan right now. Not dreadful except it's dark and a little dinged up since we just moved in. (I really thought I could get that tall bookcase around that corner all by myself...)

Would a very light yellow work here? I'd like to use the color elsewhere in rooms that are much brighter.

If it's depressing after a paint job, we'll put in solar tubes, but too much lighting and you can see how bad the walls are. It's only bright in this photo because of the flash, but the colors seem right on MY monitor.

The rug isn't necessarily permanent. We just needed something because the sound of kids stomping down the hall was making me bonkers. I don't think we could go much lighter on one though or it'll show dirt. And nothing tan. :)

Any suggestions? It's hard to work with the woodwork without ending up with a vintage cabin feel. I hate the vintage cabin feel.

Thanks!

Comments (32)