SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jjam08

Long hallway......should I paint the ceiling and walls the same color?

jjam
7 years ago

I have a long straight hallway upstairs that DH and I are painting ourselves. Just finished the trim and doors today; next comes walls and ceiling.

The color for the walls will be Ellen Kennon's Parchment, and it is a tad lighter than what is there now. The new color is painted on the upper half of the wall in this photo just where the wallpaper meets the painted wall; on the corner.

Should I do the walls and ceiling the same color? We have can lights in the ceiling along with some unattractive elements; smoke detector, a/c filter, security system stuff. I think I could paint the cold air return cover to match whatever color I use.

Here is a photo showing the stairs going down; the same color would have to be used on the section of ceiling that goes over the stairs, too, which is painted white now.

This is an area that doesn't get much natural light. We have two photo galleries; one on each of the long walls, so the wall space is a lot more interesting than it appears now. We plan to purchase a runner and area rug for the floor that will coordinate with the runner I have going up the stairs.

What do your eyes tell you? I've been looking at the space too long!!

Comments (33)