SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sally2_gw

What to do with old flour and rancid nuts

sally2_gw
8 years ago

I have a bag of King Arthur whole wheat flour that has been in the freezer for well over a year. The plastic bag I had wrapped around it smells of the dreaded freezer smell, but when I take some of the flour out, I don't notice a strong smell.

I also have a bag of walnuts I recently purchased from a new grocery store's bulk bin. It was a brand new, grand opening of Winco, with several rows of bulk bins. I decided to get some walnuts to make whole wheat walnut bread. I got the walnuts home, and found they were rancid. I really didn't want to take them back, as I was just too tired. I decided to try the recipe anyway, using the old flour and rancid nuts.

Surprise! The bread was meh. So, to give the recipe another chance, I've purchased a new bag of flour, and some fresh walnuts, and plan to make another loaf tomorrow.

Now, I hate to throw food away. Is there something, anything, that old flour or nuts can be used for? Compost? Glue? Or should I just chuck them out and consider it a lesson learned?

Sally

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!