SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
irislover7b

what's with these rancid pecans???

irislover7b
16 years ago

I know what pecans are supposed to taste like....I have 4 pecan trees, but they don't produce enough for me and the squirrels, so I let the squirrels have them. I'd rather buy them already shelled and ready to use. I've been buying Diamond brand at the grocery store, they come in several size bags. I quit using the small bags of finely chopped ones, I think they call them "pecan chips", because there were always bits of the bitter part from inside the shell, and they never tasted very fresh. I switched to the "chopped pecans" in the larger bag. Now, every time I open a bag of those, I'll taste some, and I always get rancid ones. Most of them in the bag are probably fine, but I can't always tell by looking if they'll be good or not. So I can't pick out the bad ones before I use them in cookies or cakes. The bags I buy are always well within the use by date. Like they'll have another year left on them. I just now threw out another $6 worth of them. Is there a good brand of shelled pecans that are not rancid?

Comments (12)