SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alidanae

Carpet or hardwood in this space? Help me choose!

Alicia Petrucci
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

After living in our home for 3 years, we’re excited to finally overhaul our drab main living areas, especially the horrendous linoleum and berber. (Ignore the old furniture too please.)

The plan was white oak hardwood throughout, finished in water popped jacobean stain. The stairs and bedrooms (master on main and 2 upstairs) would be new frieze carpet.

As hard as I try, I can’t deny that I’m a carpet girl. I like the warmth, feel, noise reduction and ease of vacuuming once a week along with the occasional steam clean. We had hardwood throughout our last home and although I LOVED the look, it just never felt cozy, even with large area rugs. And the tumbleweeds drove me crazy. Those joyous wafting clumps of cat hair from one cat after a couple days of not swiffering... It was definitely a love/hate relationship.

My husband’s on the same page and now we're torn. We’re contemplating continuing the carpet into the great room, as it is now, with the new stuff of course. Everyone thinks we’re crazy though, including my Dad who’s been installing floors for over 30 years. He thinks we’ll love the carpet untl it's worn and then regret it. He's getting us a killer deal on the wood, so there's that too.

It comes down to, functionally, I think carpet is the choice for us. But given that long line and openness, I feel like we’d be sacrificing a beautiful look.

So what would you do? Carpet or hardwood? I know this is ultimately a preference thing, but I’d love to hear some outside opinions. Maybe it’ll swing us either way and help us get this show on the road.

Thanks!

Comments (11)