SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrsshayne_gw

Help me choose - Hardwood in Kitchen

MrsShayne
10 years ago

Hello my kitchen friends. I tried posting in the flooring section a couple days ago but got little response. Please help me choose the right hardwood for my kitchen (actually almost my entire main level).

I've narrowed it down to 2 different colors of birch. Both are darker woods than what I have in the foyer (see pics) but one is darker with brown tones and the other is darker with red tones. Which do you like better? Browner birch or redder birch?

Background: I have 2-1/4 oak (butterscotch) in my foyer and half bath. I've gotten prices of $5-$7 and I don't even like the look of it so I have decided to rip it out and replace it with something new. My house was built in the 90's when oak and brass were cool. I thought I liked Ash because it resembled oak but I always find myself liking woods without so much grain. I fell in love with birch but worry about the softness. Even though its rating is about the same as red oak, I do worry if I'm making the right choice. Hickory is a little over my budget. The birch I'm looking at is 3/4 thick, 5" wide. Prices are 4.29-4.69 sq/ft.

I think I like the one with more red but feel the browner one matches better. Please help.

Thank you in advance! ï :)

Redder one is on the left, browner one is on the right

Red one-

foyer area-

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (24)