SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catolson

Need help deciding on backsplash

catolson
8 years ago

Below are a few ideas we've been considering for our backsplash, but we're having trouble deciding which looks best and visualizing what it would look like on a large scale! And, so we're asking for help. :)

A few personal preferences: 1) we'd prefer a low backsplash which limits the height to 7.75"; 2) our countertop- Typhoon Bordeaux granite - has a lot of color and movement, so we'd prefer to keep the backsplash somewhat low-key.

Our cabinets are a medium brown and we have light hardwood floors. The window trim is white.

My husband loves the look of natural stone, in particular light travertine, and we're trying to figure out a way to use it. I found a linear mosaic that has almost all the same colors in our granite and stainless steel strips that tie in the appliances and am considering using it for an accent, but I'm not sure how to make it work.

Here's just the mosaic strip. We like the look, but are concerned we might get tired of how busy it feels.

Here we're considering 6x12 light travertine tiles with the linear mosaic strips (we only had 6x6 and 4x6 samples to use). However, we can only fit 2 mosaic strips, which doesn't seem like enough. And it also feels like we need to top it off with something, but what?

I wasn't sure about using shorter tile, but here is a 4x6 tile with a few more mosaic strips and pencil trim on top.

Here is just the light travertine (we'd use 6x12 tiles). We had considered using this all the way to the upper cabinets. (Still not opposed to that idea.) Again, it feels like something is missing and can't figure out what to do.

Do any of these look like reasonable ideas for using all throughout a kitchen? Or, are there any other suggestions we could consider?

Thanks in advance for any input/suggestions!

Comments (11)