SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jmcue

Logan Lab test results help

jmcue
8 years ago

My Logan Lab results are in and even with my limited knowledge I can see we need adjustments!

We live in central Oregon about seven miles NW of Redmond. The lawn is 4,300 sq. ft. 15 year old sod mix of KBG/fescue/rye grass. Irrigation is automatic sprinklers from a well. This summer we have worked toward 1" per week at one time. In the past I know the lawn was over-irrigated but now we wait until the lawn shows stress which has worked out to one watering per week or less if the weather cools which it has now. There are some large boulders under some areas of the lawn and rocky soil. Most of it gets full sun except where six juniper trees provide partial shade. For the last five or six years we used a Restore type organic fertilizer which was suggested to help reduce the heavy thatch (about 1 1/2 to 2"). No other organics or amendments were used. We have always dethatched in early spring (bought a used machine from a rental company). This spring we kind of gave up and returned to synthetic (fed too early I now know). Unfortunately we had an early warm spell and then lots of rain. By mid April there were small patches over the entire lawn of dying grass. The local Extension Service couldn't diagnose but since we never saw any grubs or bugs we assumed fungus. Scott's fungus control was applied and the lawn gradually grew back and looked pretty good by late June. During the "healing" period we aerated and applied 4 yards of compost as suggested by the Extension Service. They also advised aerating and dethatching this fall. After doing lots of reading on this forum we decided to use organic grains. Since then we have used cracked corn in July and September and soybean meal 15 lbs/1000 sq. ft the first weeks of August and September. Mu husband got a kick out of making tea from our compost pile and has added that twice.

Since mid August we have developed yellow areas which I also remember seeing last year at this time, maybe a fungus or rust?

I need advice on how to address this and what schedule we should follow for the organic grain feedings. We have alfalfa pellets on hand and have access to soybean meal, cracked corn, and Milorganite. Also, should we follow the suggestion of aerating and dethatching? We don't have leaves available but plan on replacing our old mower with a mulch mower by spring.

Any advice on the lab results would be much appreciated. Note the sample depth shows 6" which includes the deep thatch layer.

Kathy

Comments (28)