SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barbaspal

Oven Self-clean: always, occasionally, or NEVER?

8 years ago

I am researching ovens, and have spoken with numerous sales people about the effect of self-cleaning on electronics. The last one was a very diligent guy at Pacific Sales in Pasadena, CA, as we discussed high-end oven brands.

He strongly recommended never using the self-clean, and instead, cleaning asap after the mess was made, placing a bowl of water in the oven at 200° (I think) for a while, then cleaning by hand. Perhaps he recommended vinegar in the water, as well. This, of course, is to protect the oven's electronics.

As I just finished reading the thread about Aqua-Clean "technology" on Maytag and Whirlpool ovens & ranges, and all the irate owners who thought they were getting a modern self-clean technology, but were actually getting a coating on their ovens that prohibits use of Easy-Off spray cleaner and required old-fashioned elbow grease after "steaming" the oven, much as the appliance sales person recommended!

My question is: are any ovens actually designed in a way that their electronics are safe from the extreme and long heat of self-cleaning??

Are people "covering" themselves by buying extended warranties, as they intend to use the self-clean, at least occasionally?

Comments (23)