SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publick_man

Fruit allergies - Kiwi tart

I made this tart on Sunday for Rosh Hashanah (along with a loaf of 50% whole wheat Challah) and brought it in for my boss on Monday. As it turns out, she is allergic to kiwi because, as she says, they are related to melons, and she has an allergy to melons. She learned this when she ate some kiwi and had a reaction to it.

She loved my Challah, however, and that impressed her, for some reason. The Challah was a lot less work than the tart. She even took several slices of challah home with her - I told her to have her cook make her some French toast with it, but I think they just ate it as it was.

How common are these fruit allergies? I do not think I am allergic to any fruit, which is good because I love fruit, but I do have mild allergies to wheat, barley, corn, rice, soy, and oats, but not enough to keep me from eating them. I suppose I would be better off if I did not eat them, but that would be difficult. The reactions to fruit allergies are much worse, I think.

By the way, I bought the kiwi at Trader Joe's partly because I love kiwi, and also partly because Chris Kimball from ATK hates it. He says that he cannot understand why anyone buys it because of its peeling. I find them very easy to peel - even easier than peaches.

Comments (11)