SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slk7e7

You're killing me, Shiloh

slk7e7
8 years ago

Some of you may remember a few months ago when I posted this island bookcase, which had come in with a curved detail on the top.

I got some wonderful feedback here (thanks again!) but in the end we decided to have the cabinet re-made with the straight top. I just couldn't get over it and it was worth it to me. This is a custom paint color with inset panels on the side, so it's a $1,700 cabinet (eek). My KD split the cost with me since it was kind of a misunderstanding that lead to it being ordered with the curve.

The replacement cabinet came in but it had some imperfections. A few deeper nicks on the front, and the bottom shelf/panel didn't line up, leaving a pretty large gap that to me was unacceptable (especially now that I know how much this cabinet cost). My KD contacted Shiloh who agreed to re-make the replacement cabinet.

Throughout our renovation, Shiloh has sent me many damaged cabinets. Probably 7 or 8 total. And the imperfections were glaring. Things where I was absolutely shocked that they came to me that way; clearly no one had really given them a thorough (or even a non-thorough) inspection before they left the factory. Here is an example:

This is the bottom of an upper cabinet and that nick is deep and probably about an inch long. I ended up deciding to do a light rail at the last minute, which covered this up, but Shiloh still had to replace 4 or 5 cabinets with equally glaring imperfections (I don't have pictures of those). I only live a couple of hours from the Shiloh factory in Missouri, so if they were damaged in transit I would be very surprised.

Yesterday my contractor came to install the second replacement bookshelf cabinet and I had a feeling it would also have some flaws. Sure enough, I was right. It also has a gap on the bottom. It's very noticeable to me. It's currently in my dimly-lit garage so I don't have a picture but it's much bigger than the current one. It's about a 1/2" gap. We are actually going backwards here. To note, the original cabinet with the curved top did NOT have this gap on the bottom shelf, so I know it's not supposed to be that way (also, common sense would tell me this, but there's my proof).

I actually really love my Shiloh cabinets now that they are (almost) completely installed and the imperfect ones replaced. I think they are really beautiful and the final quality is great. I just can't believe that they keep sending me damaged cabinets. I really don't think I'm being too picky (my contractor says I'm not at all). Has anyone had similar issues with Shiloh? I realize all kitchen projects will probably have a damaged cabinet or two but this just seems ridiculous to me. We paid over $30k for our cabinets so I want them to be (reasonably) perfect. The Kitchen Place- I know you do a lot of business with Shiloh; are you seeing any similar issues with quality control?

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH