SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_langner

Need help deciding on HVAC / insulation for our new construction home

Hi all,

An update on our situation (Original Post.) We found out that we DO have natural gas to our neighborhood. We are currently getting bids for spray foam insulation and A/C units. I have included Manual Js calculated with spray foam. They also provided Manual Js for batt insulation, and I can post those if needed. We are getting different advice from different people and I'm a little overwhelmed right now! We need to watch the budget as much as possible, but we would like to have a tight house, low energy consumption, several zones (definitely one for my mom's area / or a mini-split?) and would like to incorporate smart home features.

We also really like Trane products, but are willing to go with other options if necessary. I'm including screen shots of the manual J calcs.

The company that calculated the Manual Js bid approx $10,000 for:TRANE - FOAM HOUSE - 4TWR5049E, TEM6AOD48H41, 15 KW, Time delay relay, Control tcont624 - 15 SEER HOOD VENT R-6 DUCT GAS HEAT ALL UTILITY AN BATH FANS 50 CFMS FLOAT SWITCHES JUMP DUCTS IN ALL SECONDARY BEDROOMS & STUDY RETURN AIR IN MASTER

This appears to be a discontinued model??

We also received a verbal approximate estimate (written estimate is being prepared) of $17,000 - $20,000 from another A/C company for a Trane XV 20 - 4TWV0060A. What gives? That estimate is double the first estimate!

I am also awaiting bids for spray foam insulation.... a little scared to see those....

What do y'all recommend? Is the first unit (discontinued) good enough?

Comment (1)