SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zihl

HVAC proposal for New House Construction

zihl
16 years ago

We are building a new house in Southern Maine. Our builder has a preferred vendor, HVAC guy (he is a plumbing contractor)) has a good rep but is greatly into radiant heat. I am not. I have stated that I want forced air propane furnace, a/c and a Rinnai Continuum hot water on demand unit.

After meeting with the HVAC guy he said, "Oh, you want scorched air." My red flags began flying.

Our allowance for HVAC is $23,000 and that seemed high to me. Unfortunately the builder told him what our allowance is. Our house will be 2400 sq ft, two stories.

Here is the proposal I received:

American Standard variable Speed condensing propane furnace, model is AUH-100 (I believe it's 95% efficiency)

and three zones with digital thermostats

Hot water is a Rinnai continuum model 2520

Installed price is $18,800

PLUS if we want central a/c he has proposed an American Standard unit 13 SEER for an additional $3200.00

This brings the total to $22,000

I understand that American Standard is a quality brand and I have no problem with that. However, a close friend built a new home last summer, approximately 2000 sq ft, their allowance for HVAC was $10,000 and they did not go over budget. Their equipment was a York Propane Furnace and a Coleman a/C UNIT and a Rinnai Continuum hot water unit. I understand that there may prices differences from brand to brand; however, I think a $12,000 difference is huge.

I am waiting for other estimates.

I would like some opinions for a reality check. Is my allowance out in left field or am I off base? This HVAC plumbing contractor really loves to do radiant heat systems, and I can't but think that he knew our allowance and just made sure he hit that mark.

Thanks for your help

Comments (5)