SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wildhyacinth

Peace Lily advice and ID wanted, with pretty photo

wildhyacinth
8 years ago

Hello, fellow plant enthusiasts! I received a peace lily from my partner's mom in June. She had just recently divided a big peace lily in two and half of it wasn't doing well. I saw the poor thing being droopy and sad on a porch and immediately watered it and suggested she move it out of the direct sun. Since she didn't really want to keep both halves anyway, I took it home with me. So it definitely perked up after the watering, but we were far from out of the woods. It had lots of unsightly damaged leaves, including some that looked like they'd been chewed on by bugs. It had some weeds that were popping up in its pot ( I removed those immediately). It also had some leaves that were turning black from the tips, with a black, papery dryness spreading from the margins. According to what I've read, this seems like it might be a symptom of root rot. I pruned off the most-damaged leaves. Here's how much I pruned off:

When I was done with my initial pruning, it looked like this:

(I removed that stupid bean plant, of course.) In the following weeks, all but one of those bigger, older leaves started to die and I cut them off at the base.

I pretty quickly realized that the potting medium it's in (and I have no idea if it's store-bought, or garden soil from outside, or what it might be--no idea) stays wet for a long time. So I've been very cautious and sparing in my watering, waiting patiently for it to dry out. I've ended up watering it about once a month since bringing it home in July.

Now, of course, I wanted to repot it to get it into something better-draining. I thought that with the all the crazy changes and inconsistency it's been through (from inside, to repotting, to outside direct sun, overwatered, then underwatered, then back indoors again, then in a hot car for an entire day driving cross-country, then to a new house and different light, and then a bunch of pruning...) and also the fact that it had JUST been repotted in June, I wanted to give it some time to relax and get used to its new spot and get over the pruning before making yet another radical change. So I thought I'd wait a while. I put it a few feet away from my west window, keeping it out of most of the direct afternoon light but getting it pretty good indirect light throughout the day. I watched it closely, wringing my hands, wondering if it would survive all this craziness. Then it put out a new leaf!

And another! Yet, there were still some smaller but older leaves dying and going black from the margins in. It was confusing. I was just getting ready to go out and get some stuff to repot it, and then one morning, BOOM. A flower bud appeared and I freaked out!! Well, I wasn't going to disturb it when it was about to bloom. I was happy (and also shocked!) that she'd recovered enough and was happy enough to bloom for me, so I just sat back and enjoyed the show. I was richly rewarded and even accidentally took a really nice photo of it:

That last photo was taken on September 9, 2015, just a few days ago, and the plant still looks like that now.

So, here are my questions to you all:

1) Can anyone identify what kind of spathiphyllum I have? I'd love to know the species/cultivar.

2) What do you guys think about repotting? Should I do it after it's done blooming? Should I water very sparingly through the winter and wait for spring and do it then?

3)When I do it, what kind of soil should I use? I've never had a peace lily before so I don't really know what to do. Also, if I unearth it and there IS root rot, what should I do while repotting to prevent it from continuing/coming back?

Thanks in advance for your advice and for sharing in my exciting peace lily saga! Haha. =)

Comment (1)