SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maidinmontana

Proper care and feeding of a peace lily

maidinmontana
17 years ago

I was awarded with a beautiful peace lily that was from my dear Grammas funneral last October. It is in a 1 gallon pot (original from nursery I'm sure). As I am good at growing plants I wanted to take extra caution with this as it has special meaning to me. So I did some research and learned it's needs, wants and requirements. It is doing very well. It has constant new growth as in leaves, I did notice a very small flower tucked way in the middle at the very bottom of the pot, I really had to look to see it. I read where they like to be root bound but what is TOO root bound. When do I know when to re pot it? I plan on taking to nursery to have this done as it is a huge plant. I am 5'7" and it comes past my waist and is bigger around than I can reach. I don't want to tackle the beast. It is so big I have to be careful what I set beside it as it tends to "over power" almost everything. I water it regularily when it feels somewhat dry whan I stick my finger in it, I have only fertilized it twice since Oct last year, Once a month I set it in the bathtub and soak it really good with about 2 gallons of water and leave it there to drain well. It never gets direct sunlight but the room is full of natural light, now in the summer the average temp is about 70 degrees but usually about 68 degrees. Question, when do I know when to re pot it and how do you encourage blooms? I wish my camera was here so I could take a pic it is so pretty I have never seen one like it before. I want to keep it forever. Any and all advice is welcome.

Comments (13)