SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melenkolee

peace lily help for a chronic plant killer

melenkolee
14 years ago

Hi all,

I've spent a fair amount of time searching for advice on my newly obtained peace lily, but still feel the need to ask for some advice.

I've had several in the past, and killed them practically instantly. *brown thumb!*

Tonight my neighbors left a 3' high by 3' wide (admitted by them) frostbitten peace lily on my porch, and i'm feeling compelled to give it another try. Apparently they think my window of carnivorous plants means I'm willing to take in whatever special case they may have :)

This plant is root bound in an approximately 12" pot. I need to get it a new one, but am unsure of a good potting medium. I've chopped back all the dead or dying leaves, which has left me with a 12" wide healthy looking root ball and about 10 leaves/sprouts of new/healthy looking growth with the biggest measuring about 12" tall. I have it in my south facing window (indirect sunlight) but close to a 23w compact florescent that i'm supplementing my CP's light requirements with due to a lower fall/winter photoperiod. I have a very heavily shaded lot, so i'm not too worried about too much sun...just not enough!

I've learned they need to be well drenched but to air out some between waterings, and will droop/get a bit limp when thirsty in a well drained pot. This is not what it's in now, but it will be following my next shopping trip. I did take it out of its original pot and loosen the roots (it was WELL packed in) and added what i had on hand for the time being (literally, this thing was all root with maybe a cup or 2 of soil that i was able to remove while loosening the roots) - a bit of miracle grow potting soil, peat moss and a good helping of perlite, but had no choice but to place it back in the original pot. Maybe 4 cups of the mix was more than enough to fill the pot once the plant was in, so i know it's crowded root-wise, but with so little foliage...i dunno. I guess I'm looking for the *best* potting medium for this guy, while i attempt to find a bigger pot that isn't TOO big, and whether i should even try to re-pot it while it's recovering from my attack...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I know this plant has great potential to be absolutely stunning, if i but just knew the proper way to care for it :)

Please advise on the best potting medium, as well as any other tricks/tips you may have for helping this poor thing recover. I feel bad for hacking him down to nothing, but it seemed right to chop off anything that wasn't 100% healthy and green. I hope i did the right thing!

Thanks!

~Jen

Comments (3)