SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
agoldensunrise

Ailing Spathiphyllum Plant (Peace Lily)

agoldensunrise
16 years ago

I am a frequent reader, and first time poster.

I have been charged with helping to "bring around" a peace lily that a co-worker received for her new office.

Unfortunately, I do not have a picture, so I will attempt to describe the condition of the plant, and its current location.

The plant is getting limp leaves that eventually are dying, though no curling or browning seems evident at any time. The outermost leaves on the stalk are the ones that are dying, from the leaf on down the stem. Some leaves get an odd combination of yellow and a muddy yellow/green color prior to dying, and some just turn yellow. This is happening to roughly one leaf per day and the plant is quickly shrinking in size. One thing of note though, is that there does appear to be some new growth on its way, and so far it seems healthy (nice and green, and not mushy or anything suspect.)

The soil was damp, but not wet. It receives bright, indirect light throughout the day. I have moved it sightly away from the window it was in (about 2-3 feet change.) It receives water about once a week (currently). I asked the plant owner for more information about the plant and she informed me it was repotted prior to arriving in the office (about a month ago), and it appears it was topped with a time-release fertalizer (like Osmocote). It is an air-conditioned office, but it is not in a windy area or in front of the vents.

I have tried to research the answer to my question in the Houseplants forum and a few other places online, but was unable to find an answer that I felt satisfied me. I am sorry for the long description, but I am hoping this helps answer questions preemptively. Any help you might be able to give me in providing the plant with better care (and instructions for the plant owner, who wants this plant to live) would be greatly appreciated by both me and my co-worker.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (5)