SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jta98z

Did I mess up dethatching?

8 years ago

Hey guys. I'm almost through my lawn Reno and am about to lay the seed. I'm worried I made a mistake dethatching. My father came last weekend and helped me dethatch my 15,000sqft lawn. I scalped it a few days prior and we rented a dethacthing machine. After we finished we raked everything up and disposed of it. Only problem is, seeing as you can't rake up every last little piece of grass, we have had a few hard rains mixed with some hot days since last weekend and now I have this mind of crunchy, hardened mat of the left over dead grass and clippings that I suppose the rain matted down. I'm worried I shouldn't have waited this last week before seeding. It's not thick (pics below). I can rub through it to the dirt with my finger pretty easily. I'm just worried about seed to soil contact now. After last weekend, with 15,000sqft, I could curl up and cry to think about hand raking the whole thing again lol. Will I need to? Or will rolling the seed and watering get it down to the dirt just fine?

Comments (6)