SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristin_mcpherson

Need help designing a homeschooling space

I don't have a dedicated space for homeschooling my six kids in our new house. We are remodeling the 360 sq ft living room, and it's going to have to be multi-functional: a place to "do school" during the day, but also a nice place to hang out with friends and watch TV in the evening.

I'm debating about getting rid of my baby grand piano to make space for a desk or other work space, but I'm a bit torn on that.

I'll post "before" pictures of the space below. It is now painted a beige color, and the new bamboo flooring will be installed in the next couple of days. We have IKEA Kallax shelves (in birch effect, which is a natural wood look) like this to put under the TV for school book storage (we have baskets similar to the ones pictured):

My coffee table matches the Kallax and will provide storage for kids' picture books and DVD's:

Here is my piano (which would be turned with the keyboard in the corner and the top open when the remodel is done), but this corner could also be used for some kind of work surface/computer desk if we get rid of the piano:

Here is room before we installed and painted drywall:

That closet next to the fireplace is amazing storage for school supplies, and its door will be replaced with a curtain that matches the curtains on the windows.

I was hoping to purchase IKEA's world map but just learned that it was discontinued this year. :-(

I would like sophisticated decor that also nods to the fact that we homeschool. Any suggestions?

Thank you so much!

Comments (8)