SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovesummer1

Window treatment ideas for ranch/strip windows?

Penelope
8 years ago

I live in a 1956 house that has casement and awning windows in every room. In the bedrooms there are two horizontally-oriented windows ganged together with a total width of 100", a pair on each of two walls with a small space in the corner. There are lots of houses with these ranch or strip windows, but they're almost never featured in magazines or blogs, and they're tough to deal with!

In the master bedroom there are currently vertical blinds which need to be replaced. I'm struggling with what to use. My preference would be plantation shutters, but they'd have to have an exterior mounting because there isn't enough flat surface on the inside of the casing. I'm also not sure whether an outside mount would work with the current clamshell molding, which isn't flat, or if the shutters would project too much into the room. That's an issue because the room isn't huge and the bed is underneath one pair of windows. Just to add to the issues, the windows open with cranks which project out.

A second choice would be 2" horizontal wooden blinds, which would also have to be mounted on the outside. The problem is that I haven't found a company that can make a 100" wide single blind, so I'd have to use two, hopefully with a common headrail.

I'd go with verticals again if I have to, but that's a distant third choice. I definitely don't want curtains or draperies.

Any ideas or pictures? Here's the room:

Comments (6)