SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
matt_johnson36

propane vs electric boilers

matt_johnson36
8 years ago

Here's my scenario: I have a 2450 sq' ranch house...it is sprawling, with a large living room (approx 450 sq ft) and a kitchen almost as big next to it, adjoined by a doorway that is at least 9 feet wide. Those 2 rooms are in the middle if the house with a dining room and bedroom one end, and two more bedrooms on the other end, and a small sun room off the kitchen. Imagine a big rectangle with a 10 by 15 sunroof sticking out of it. We live in upstate ny. This past year we were spending roughly $700 per month on propane with our lock in price of $2.19/gallon...and that was to keep our home in the low 60s. I do not know exactly the specs of the insulation throughout the hiuse, nor the quality of the windows and doors. The house was completely remodeled in 2000, so I know it's not "old". The reason I am wondering about electric boiler is we live in a deregulated zone, where our energy is recycled, or something. I just checked our last bill and we paid $.048/kw, which compared to the national average of $.12/kw, at least from I've gathered, I'd say that's a pretty nice price we pay.

The house is also set up on 3 zones...tto be honest I'd have to right 3 times what I already have to explain how the zones are set up, so I'll save you all. So any info, suggestikns, questions to ask so I can explain better, please let me know. I'd like some info before I start calling around completely ignorant and do something foolish.

Thanks!

Comments (3)