SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691726

Need help with arranging above-cabinet "clutter"!

User
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Having posted previously and asking for opinions on whether or not items should be displayed above cabinets, I've decided that I DO want to display some of my things because my space for doing so is very limited in this house. However, I don't think I've got a very good handle on it yet and would like to know how YOU would arrange these items.

An issue I have is that the cabinet tops are recessed, so the items actually sit down too far to be well visible from below. For now (somewhat embarrassed to admit this), I've got things propped up on old books or folded bath towels to give them a bit of height (hey, anything in a pinch, right?), but they still aren't visible enough to my liking. Any thoughts on how to remedy this?

I rather like this corner, although I'm going to remove the flow blue tureen to the left of the Cake tin, and maybe remove one or two more small things here.

But I'm not pleased with the rest of this. What I've tried to do is mix my "finer" pieces (ok, so they aren't ALL fine - but you know what I mean) with the Native American pieces. Sort of a nod to the way that early settlers of the West, having brought their treasures with them from their previous homes in the East, often decorated their homes -- mixing the old familiar pieces with the indigenous art they discovered all around them. I know that may sound ridiculous to attempt in a new home with a subway tile backsplash and pendant lights, but again - hopefully you understand what I'm trying to convey.

So ... how to arrange things to the right of the cooktop? I'm thinking I need to edit significantly, but not sure HOW. Sorry the photos are such poor quality. Also, you may snicker at my wooden donkey, but know that I love him dearly. He sat on my lap all the way back from Puerto Vallarta one year, and he's so ridiculous that I think that makes him fab.

Comments (68)