SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Faith, Or Fear? Open Cabinets, Or Clutter?

John Liu
13 years ago

Kitchen planning proceeds at a snail's pace here. So, squishing and oozing along . . .

I'm thinking of upper cabinets with all open shelves, and have been drooling over the pictures in various threads. Airy open shelves, floating in air, elegantly displaying the purest white porcelain. Makes me want to read poetry, aloud, while petting my unicorn.

Yet, my faith is weak and my fears intrude. Do open shelves really look so elegant in the real world? My grubby, workaday real world, where there are no unicorns and no pure white porcelain?

One of my favorite inns, near Muir Beach, has a huge stand-in fireplace with stone sitting alcoves on either side of the central fire. Above the mantel is carved "Fear knocked on the door. Faith answered. No one was there."

I need more faith. Buddy, can you spare some faith?

Here is the real world chez me. There will be two banks of upper cabinets. They will have sides, back, top and bottom, with crown molding - we're not talking floating shelves.

One bank will have a simple purpose. It will store stockpots and workbowls that I want immediately at hand. For reasons of function I'd like to avoid doors and visually I think the big polished copper and gleaming steel objects will look okay. I'll even take the workbowls to the buffer if need be.

The other bank of uppers will have a more complicated use. In part, it will be for beverage prep. So that means French press, Bialetti stovetop espresso maker, tea infuser, tea leaves, tea bags, hot chocolate mix, honey, sugar, tongs, spoons, teacups, toddy glasses, and coffee mugs. In other part, it will be serve a baking center, with flour, sugar, newts, and whatever else you bakers use in your black art. The to-be-acquired stand mixer will live on the counter below.

My question is, can an open shelf upper cabinet accomodate all those things without looking cluttered and messy? Naturally, I will decant everything from their commercial packaging into attractive containers - glass jars and bottles, mostly - but there will still be a lot of those containers. Maybe it will merely look cluttered, messy, and unbadged?

My fallback question is, will it look bad to have one bank of uppers open, but doors on the other bank? How about glass doors? Suppose they were up-swing pocket doors?

Finally, would you recommend some visually interesting treatments for open cabinets? Paint inside and outside in contrasting colors? Backlighting concealed in the cabinets? Mirror the inside back walls? Glass shelves in wood boxes?

As you can tell, while I am a believer in open cabinets, I am not yet a true believer. Fear is knocking on the door, and I've misplaced my faith.

Comments (45)