SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_langner

Insurance questions

History:

My father (recently deceased) owned a construction company (LLC) and built custom homes with a buddy of his. The company is still a legal entity (as all legalities were handled after my father's death). The company's insurance policies have expired. For construction loan purposes, I am using the company as the "builder of record" for my personal home build. My dad's former partner is helping me with the build for a flat fee. Once my home is built, the business will be shut down. I am in the process of securing Builder's Risk insurance for the company.

Questions:

Does the company need a General Liability policy since I will not be suing myself?

In lieu of General Liability for the company, what can I get to insure myself against injuries to kids and others who may get hurt while walking through my property while it is under construction?

Are there any other considerations?

My current home owner's insurance does not extend to the new property (I will double check this tomorrow.)

For the most part, we will be using fully insured sub contractors, but I know there will be times that we will be using subs that are not insured (hiring a guy that works for a company, etc., but the guy is doing my job "on the side.")

I would really, really like to avoid the end of year audit that occurs with a General Liability policy, so if I don't need it, I'd rather not have the headache or expense. If I need it, I'm prepared to get it.

I have researched this issue to death, and I'm still at square one. Please help.

Thanks!

Comments (3)