SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hilltop_gw

Health insurance question and small biz

hilltop_gw
10 years ago

We are a small business employer (6 full time) who in the past offered a medical reimbursement account ($2400/year per employee) in lieu of health insurance; however we can no longer do that in 2014 due to provisions of the ACA.
We are not eligible for any small business tax credits because our employees average wages are above the $50,000 mark.

So we are now looking into providing insurance for the employees thru the open market. It could double our cost if we provide full coverage. Two of the six already said they don't want it because they get it through their spouses employment. The other 4 do want it. How do other employers handle it when some want the benefit and others don't? Is it a take it or leave it? But then for the 2 that don't need it, it will be like a $2400 cut in pay because they could previously tap into the reimbursement funds. I don't think we want to up the salary of those two by the $2400 or the cost of the insurance, especially since I know some of the employees needing insurance would then say they want the money and not the insurance. Furthermore if we say we only want to cover 50 or 75% of the insurance premium I'm pretty sure some would say they don't want to pay the balance and therefore don't want to have the insurance.

We've never looked into providing insurance for a variety of reasons, but our pool of employees is limited so this offers a beneficial perk. Just need a little education on how other small businesses handle it so that it's fair for all.

Comments (3)