SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Help with Bathroom Layout with Universal Design?

prairiemoon2 z6b MA
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We are planning a remodel of a first floor bath, that will now be a mudroom/bathroom when using a small bedroom adjacent to the current bath. I'm using this beginning layout, which shows the bedroom that will remain, the middle space that will be a mudroom and exit to the backyard/garage and the bathroom space that we will be working with is the top room on the drawing with two windows and a radiator on the Backyard/West side of the drawing.

As you can see, the hallway entrance from the Dining Room, is narrow and we can get a wheelchair through there, but need room in the projected mudroom to turn to enter the bedroom and bathroom doorways. I think there is enough room there to do that. The doorway to the bathroom is 36" wide. The mudroom will have a stacking washer/dryer and hopefully other cabinetry to accommodate vacuum, broom, laundry basket, etc.

We're thinking that there can be either a store bought bench or built in bench under the window in the mudroom extension facing the exit door. And hooks on the wall behind that door.

I'd like to plan an attractive bathroom space, that allows for the extra space of a wheelchair, with room under the sink, next to the toilet for transfer and entry into a curbless shower. The window that faces the garage in that bathroom can be replaced with a taller awning window. All the windows are 35" wide double hung at the moment.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Comment